Was Going To FIRE Until This Happened (Work Related)

To me, just arriving and being present is the same as working. They can use or not use my talents, they have that choice, but as long as I'm on the clock, no guilt. That said, I would quit if I didn't have productive work.

A former employee in my group at Mega just passed away at 96. He was a mgr when I started in 1979. He was a 35+ year employee. They wanted him to retire. They took away his people, his secretary (back then title) and responsibilities. He wouldn't quit and continued to come in dressed in a suit with a briefcase of magazines. He would shut his door and read magazines for 8 hours. He was ostracized from the rest of the office. He did this until he hit 40 years and then retired. No fanfare. I thought that was incredibly cruel as a new employee, so it wasn't a surprise when the same thing happened to me after 31 years. Except then they had job elimination so I had no choice. If you haven't seen the movie "The Air Up There" it was the screenplay of how they told me - fake meeting, stranger in the meeting, telling me my job was eliminated, a book of details/rights/disclaimers. After my starting experience, I knew it was a matter of time. I was ready and I got a severance, so it was ok. I was one of five in my dept all with over 30+ years.

If they are letting you stay, take it as long as you can. Don't feel guilty don't allow yourself to be shamed by others. You can bet as soon as the time is right they will cut you loose. Good luck

At the beginning of the year, 75% of my and my co-worker's responsibilities shifted to another group when a new software tool was implemented. Since then I have anywhere from 1 to 5 hours of work to do TOTAL per week. Fortunately, I work from home full-time so I'm able to keep myself entertained with personal stuff (surfing, ER learning, going to the gym) and chores (mowing the yard, etc.). And they still pay me six figures. I don't get it. I really want a bye-bye package but instead I keep hearing talk of them increasing headcount. :facepalm:

I really want a bye-bye package but instead I keep hearing talk of them increasing headcount. :facepalm:

I worked about a year longer than needed, hoping for one of these, I don't regret it, because I liked the work and travel, and still took a lot of family time.

But, in the end, I decided that leaving on my own terms would be just fine, and frankly, more rewarding emotionally.

If I had waited, 3 years later, still no Bye-bye packages. Glad I pulled the plug when I did.

Back
Top Bottom