Washington State road trip

If you make it into Oregon and have any interest in aviation, McMinnville has a museum built around the Spruce Goose. We spent a couple hours there and enjoyed it.

Research the scablands - very amazing and unique geological features created when the ice dam holding glacial Lake Missoula catastrophically failed in the ice age and caused a huge flood that created the geology of much of Washington.

That's a good thought. Just a trip through Ephrata, Soap Lake, uo to the Dry Falls visitor center and overlook would be nice and easy. When you get to US2 a few miles north, you can head west for Leavenworth or head to the North Cascades.

Just a reminder that 44 years ago today, Mt. Saint Helens erupted in WA state. If you have never seen a mountain with its side blown out, a trip to the monument would be worthwhile. Because one side of the mountain is mostly gone, You can look right into the volcano and see the cinder cone developing inside. No need to fly over it. Though if you are on a flight that does, do take a peak out the window.

Just a reminder that 44 years ago today, Mt. Saint Helens erupted in WA state. If you have never seen a mountain with its side blown out, a trip to the monument would be worthwhile. Because one side of the mountain is mostly gone, You can look right into the volcano and see the cinder cone developing inside. No need to fly over it. Though if you are on a flight that does, do take a peak out the window.
Just a reminder, Johnstone Ridge Observatory is closed until at least 2026 due to a landslide wiping out that road. Best views from the north are from the Windy Ridge off US-12 near Randle, WA
This is good info to bank if you happen to be coming from the east side. Come over White Pass.

Just a reminder, Johnstone Ridge Observatory is closed until at least 2026 due to a landslide wiping out that road. Best views from the north are from the Windy Ridge off US-12 near Randle, WA
This is good info to bank if you happen to be coming from the east side. Come over White Pass.
Thanks. I forgot about that.

Best view is from the rim! A few years ago we free climbed the rock scramble up to the top and I spit into the bowl, so to speak. Oh I guess that was more than a few years ago, more like 30. My knees are just not that good anymore......

I have never climbed it, I spent too much time flying around the mountains to climb them. In retrospect I would be in better shape if I had.
My friend's description of the typical airline pilot physique:
"Slender shoulders, tapering to a broadly powerful ass"

Some of our favorites in Washington.

Columbia Gorge (both sides of the river have something to offer)
Mount Saint Helens (we liked hiking Mt Norway on the east side)
Ocean beaches at Long Beach
Olympic Peninsula (lots to see and do)
North Cascades - Take the boat up Lake Chelan and stay in Stehekin!
Spokane River Front Park - Lots of activities right in the middle of town.
San Juan Islands - We honeymooned in Anacortes. Must see Deception Pass.

We live in Camas, and do a lot of outings in the area. If you're interested, you might get more ideas from my home videos at: Some of Our Favorite Home Videos

Best view is from the rim! A few years ago we free climbed the rock scramble up to the top and I spit into the bowl, so to speak. Oh I guess that was more than a few years ago, more like 30. My knees are just not that good anymore......
Roscoe "Rocky" Shorey, 42, died after falling 1,200 feet into the crater of Mount St. Helens on March 29, 2024. Shorey, an experienced climber and snowboarder from Washougal, Washington, survived the initial fall but died while trying to climb out. The Northwest Avalanche Center (NWAC) believes Shorey triggered an avalanche after falling into the volcano, where an icy ridge had cracked off near the rim beneath his feet

Some of our favorites in Washington.

Columbia Gorge (both sides of the river have something to offer)
Mount Saint Helens (we liked hiking Mt Norway on the east side)
Ocean beaches at Long Beach
Olympic Peninsula (lots to see and do)
North Cascades - Take the boat up Lake Chelan and stay in Stehekin!
Spokane River Front Park - Lots of activities right in the middle of town.
San Juan Islands - We honeymooned in Anacortes. Must see Deception Pass.

We live in Camas, and do a lot of outings in the area. If you're interested, you might get more ideas from my home videos at: Some of Our Favorite Home Videos
We want to explore up through the swift reservoir area and Northwoods south of the mountain with our RV and truck. It is one of several large swaths of the state we have not explored yet. We love the Mt Adams area.

Back
Top Bottom