Weed spray for lawn care

street

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I know many here have their yards attended by a guy yard person. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with buying a product on the shelf that will work well for killing weeds etc. for lawns.

Looking for a product I can mix or by already mixed for use.

In GA i had a lot of annual rye grass / poa annua weeds. A product called Image took care of it in Bermuda grass

I use Scotts Turfbuilder, it's a mix of a fertilizer and weed control, though it's gotten very expensive lately.

There is a spray product from Spectracide "weed stop for lawns" that works ok. You'll want to look for something specific for your grass type though as that varies by region.

I have access to farm chemicals. I primarily use 24D at about 2 oz per gallon, this does well on broadleaves. I used Clarity once and it did a fantastic job, but it can kill trees and you need a license to buy it.

Thanks for the product info.

I used Weed B Gon last fall to eradicate some creeping Charlie and it seemed to work. This year I’m holding weeds at bay so far with the Scott’s 4 step granular product.

I'm too cheap to buy Scott's. I buy the no name pre-emergent and get it on there in the spring. The goal is two applications, but I'm lucky to be motivated enough to get a single application on.

Then weed b gone or the similar weed stop for lawns before it gets too hot. I live in the belt where it's too hot for fescue and too cold for warm condition grasses, so my fescue looks pretty horrific starting in August. Nobody has in-ground sprinklers here, and watering would be costly anyway. I just settle for a crummy looking lawn. Well, if it's mowed high and often, it doesn't look too bad.

I had a strawberry weed thing that was getting bigger and bigger every year. DW bought some Syngenta Tenacity one time, which allows immediate planting of grass seed. That stuff killed the strawberry (well knocked it significantly back), but the warning label was pretty scary.

WeedBGone works well in Louisiana and here in Colorado. Doesn't seem to harm our lawn grasses if used at the correct concentration. Easy to use in a simple garden sprayer for spot treating weeds.

A few years ago my lawn was overrun with Creeping Charlie. One application of T-Zone knocked almost all of it out without harming the grass (much to my surprise).

Of course now I just have different weeds!

I use Weed B Gone mixed in a one gallon pump sprayer. As I mow, I make a mental note of any weeds I see, and then go back and spray.

I wish someone made a product that could be used on Indian Goosegrass mixed in with regular bluegrass, that didn't kill the bluegrass.

Hey Street, there is a site called Do My Own (https://www.domyown.com/) that has a wide variety of products for weeds / lawns. T-Zone, mentioned above, is available there. They will have more choices than you will find at your local big box store.

Some of them are not cheap, but they are effective. I've been battling wild violets, one of the harder weeds to kill, and they have a product that actually worked for me. I think some their products are what the pros use.

I do pay special attention to PPE (personal protective equipment) when using these, assuming some might be more industrial than what you find at your local store.

Weeds are tough. Good luck!

Hey Street, there is a site called Do My Own (https://www.domyown.com/) that has a wide variety of products for weeds / lawns. T-Zone, mentioned above, is available there. They will have more choices than you will find at your local big box store.

Some of them are not cheap, but they are effective. I've been battling wild violets, one of the harder weeds to kill, and they have a product that actually worked for me. I think some their products are what the pros use.

I do pay special attention to PPE (personal protective equipment) when using these, assuming some might be more industrial than what you find at your local store.

Weeds are tough. Good luck!

ditto. great site.

Thanks to everyone for the help and your experiences and that is a great site, Montecfo.

Thank You.

I did go buy 2-4D Herbicide the guy say 3 oz to a gallon of water will kill a large variety of weeds. So, I bought that. The 32 oz container for 12$ will last me many years so thought it would get more bang for the buck. Those frugal genes just don't go away. LOl

Timing is everything with these kinds of Chemical Herbicides. Applying them at the wrong time of year is wasteful.

There's Pre-emergent and Post-Emergent to also consider. Applying in the Fall will prevent Spring time weeds from emerging. You must pay attention to "watering in" or "stick to the leaves" when figuring when to spray.

Most states have an 'Extension Service' that will give you specific instructions for your location. Here is Clemson's Home & Garden Info Center webpage --
https://hgic.clemson.edu

My wife, "if the neighbors would mow and take care of their lawns, I would have less weed problems."
It's probably true, neighbor to the side only mows the front when it gets to 18", the back only gets mowed when the city threatens to mow and put a lien on the property. Across the street is vacant, only gets mowed when someone complains to the city. Although, I think it is now on the 3rd owner, (still vacant) and this one seems to get it mowed more often, but it's done very poorly, as in missing sections of it, no weed whipping, etc.

My wife, "if the neighbors would mow and take care of their lawns, I would have less weed problems."
It's probably true, neighbor to the side only mows the front when it gets to 18", the back only gets mowed when the city threatens to mow and put a lien on the property. Across the street is vacant, only gets mowed when someone complains to the city. Although, I think it is now on the 3rd owner, (still vacant) and this one seems to get it mowed more often, but it's done very poorly, as in missing sections of it, no weed whipping, etc.

I have one neighbor that would get lawn of the week every week is always just prefect. The other neighbor doesn't get too excited about the lawn but does keep it up.
I keep a nice yard and have always tried to make it look good, but I'm not trying to impress anyone just keeping nice. MY neighbor is one that has the best in everything and wants to be noticed. Good people though.

The generic 2-4-D is a good broadleaf weed killer. It will probably on most of what you are trying to get rid of. Might take a couple applications, and beware of rain within some period of time after you apply so it doesn't wash off. If you are mixing concentrate yourself, add a couple teaspoons of dish soap or similar. That helps lower the surface tension (acts as surfactant) so the weed mix wets the surface of the intended leaves better.

I've had good luck with Ortho Weedclear. It's also fairly frugal in mixing it 2 oz. to one gallon of water. I did have one weed that it wouldn't touch and I took a photo of it and sent it to Ortho. They told me the name of the plant but said they didn't have a product to treat it. Searching on the name of the plant told me that 2,4D would treat it, and it did. Since Weedclear has 2,4D in it I guess the concentration wasn't high enough but straight 2,4D in a higher concentration took it right out.

I forget the name of it but it was some aquatic weed (we have a creek right behind the house) and I guess it was creeping up from the creek. So it wasn't surprising that I'd never seen it before.

Thanks to everyone for the help and your experiences and that is a great site, Montecfo.

Thank You.

I did go buy 2-4D Herbicide the guy say 3 oz to a gallon of water will kill a large variety of weeds. So, I bought that. The 32 oz container for 12$ will last me many years so thought it would get more bang for the buck. Those frugal genes just don't go away. LOl

You remind me of me. I bought 2.5 gallons of generic 2-4D (called LV-4) about 10 years ago and I still have some left. I spray a couple miles of ditch twice a year too.

An over application is hard on grass. Careful not to slow down with your sprayer or it will get to strong. I prefer to hand spray or use a ground driven pull type sprayer that slows down and speeds up as you go.

Careful around flowers and shrubs.

Tenacity once mixed in a pump sprayer, the herbicide should be used within 24 hours. However, Tenacity stored in its original bottle and unmixed has a shelf-life of 3 to 5 years.
Works good on eliminating bent grass.

I've had pretty good luck with the Ortho Weed clear concentrate. I have a 2-gal sprayer that I charge - never have to pump it. Put the sprayer on the floor of the golf cart and spray fence lines. But it does not last as long as I like, have to reapply it later. I just got some Round Up concentrate. Was going to put it in my sprayer but a man who was doing a survey here told me that it gave him cancer, that his life will never be the same. The Round up people did give him a settlement, lawyer got 45%. Decided not to use it as it is very difficult to totally avoid some contact.

Bought some of the Ortho Weedclear that attaches to the hose so I can spray down a steep hill. The electric sprayers don't spray far enough. Need to go out early before out gets hot.

I'm spraying multiple fence lines, both sides, on 10+ acres to make mowing easier. The golf cart can go everywhere and carries the tank. A hose wouldn't work. The 2 gallon tank is used up pretty fast, however, a 3 gallon tank would be too heavy for me. The electric tank just needs to be charged from time to time - no pumping. Guess how easy it is to use depends on who is using it - a man or me, a 5'2" senior woman.

Thank You.

PSA: I treat all pesticides like they are highly toxic skin eating cancer in a bottle or bag substances. As later they might decide they are.

Let's be careful out there!

Back
Top Bottom