what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter told me she has an employee at work who has a granddaughter with an interesting first name. It is pronounced "Absidee" and is spelled Abcde.
This reminded me of EBCDIC ( /ˈɛbsɨdɪk/), a computer coding standard that was edged out by ASCII.

Reminds me of Woody Allen pronouncing the typewriter keyboard:

Quertyuiop -querty-yu-i-op
Asdefghjkl -Asdefigajikkle
zxvbnm -Zixvabunum

My daughter told me she has an employee at work who has a granddaughter with an interesting first name. It is pronounced "Absidee" and is spelled Abcde.

Here is a picture of the type of phone:
Had a wall version (wired), one desk version and a newer version with the black painted dial on sale in my parent's estate sale in 2009. It was amazing the interest shown but I sold them to a former Bell employee.

REdfern 3-1087

Watched Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" again. I never tire of that movie. :LOL:

I figured out how to to order Open Season brochures for several national FFS plans offered for federal annuitants. BCBS and MailHandlers are the main contenders for my business. Mr Boston has promised to read the literature :clap:and point out the pitfalls of switching from a regional HMO to a national FFS. I truly despise doing this type of stuff. :nonono:

I'm a bachelorette tonight due to a Legion meeting and suds afterwards with the boyz. :greetings10:

I'm a bachelorette tonight due to a Legion meeting and suds afterwards with the boyz. :greetings10:
So while you're out with the Legionnaires and their frosty beverages, he's sitting home alone thumbing through healthcare brochures?!?

So while you're out with the Legionnaires and their frosty beverages, he's sitting home alone thumbing through healthcare brochures?!?
No, no, no it's the other way around. He is out with the boyz.
However, I did like your interpretation. :cool:
I'm surfing and listening to Soundscapes (instrumental relaxation music) on the digital cable music station. I am man-free tonight.

Watched Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" again. I never tire of that movie. :LOL:

I remember watching that movie when I was in college. How time goes by. A brain with "Abby Normal" on it? :LOL:

Busy day today...coffee at the local Legion with the boyz* :D, then helping to relocate a single mattress and box spring, followed by a trip to the dollar store to stock up on junk food for Mr Boston. :cool:
I am now watching him snooze off/on in the recliner while a Navy Seals training show is running. My muscles hurt just watching the grueling tasks they must complete. :nonono:
I am surfing and digesting nachos and cheese with chopped up jalapenos and fresh tomatoes that I made for a midday snack. I have country style pork ribs in Jamaican jerk sauce cooking in the crockpot for later or tomorrow.
It is SOOOOOO nice not to be all alone all day anymore. :clap:

* The "boyz" are Legionnaires who accept me in any venue even though I never served in uniform.
I am a Legion Auxiliary member, qualifying as the widow of a veteran.

Got treated to lunch today by an organization I have donated much to. She promised to send me information on how to leave any leftover money to them.

Got a call from a classmate we haven't seen in 28 years. He went USAF right out of USNA so we didn't exactly overlap through the decades. We finally happened to be in the same time zone again (he's working contractor support for a PACOM exercise) so he checked in. I've been searching Google and Facebook and TogetherWeServed.com for news & photos but haven't been able to find anything. Luckily none of us have changed a bit.

We're having him over to the house for dinner tomorrow night. Of course that meant today was grocery-shopping morning and food-prep afternoon. Tomorrow will be dessert-baking morning and grilling afternoon.

I've been transferring the contents of the recommended reading thread over to the blog. The first thing I've (re-)learned is that formatting HTML still sucks. The second thing I've learned is that putting links in a hardcopy book is a waste of time-- perhaps even for an e-reader version. Half of the websites have either reformatted their URLs or gone dark, requiring me to laboriously reconstruct the resource's updated location or find a replacement resource. The publisher says they're done with the book's editing and starting the typesetting so I'm not sure whether or not to raise my newbie-author's hand and ask them to replace those few pages with something a little less perishable.

Spouse is back from her Mainland trip and boy did she have a lot on her mind. She's been involved with two different non-profit organizations who both have their hearts in the right place but who could hardly be more different in execution. She's learned enough from one that the other is beginning to resemble a "candy-striper my ass" situation. After this six-day trip (her sixth trip off the island this year) she's spending the rest of this afternoon/evening at a board meeting and then tomorrow she'll be doing another 7-8 hours volunteering. I'm beginning to detect subtle symptoms of self-imposed burnout.

I've been listening to live Christian rock for the last couple hours. The house across our cul-de-sac has a church's youth-group leader living there for a few months and he hosts the practices for their garage band. They're actually pretty good.

Went for language (Mandarin) class, then had lunch with an ex colleague. We ate Japanese - sushi and green tea ice cream. Then went to the gym and now just surfing the web. Will be cooking dinner soon. Seems like a full day!

Took my first Spanish class of the snowbird season yesterday. All the students seem to be about equal in proficiency. Some live fulltime in PV but all spend summertime elsewhere.

Going to a charity breakfast this morning.

Had an interesting online reunion per se with a handful of people from the USS Puget Sound via Facebook last night via e-mails and FB chat. We were all on the Indian Ocean cruise back in 1989 together. Not too many of us have stuck it out active or reserve...on a positive note, darn the past 20 years have not been unkind to me! (relative to their FB photos!) I still look like me - would not have recognized many of them!

on a positive note, darn the past 20 years have not been unkind to me! (relative to their FB photos!) I still look like me - would not have recognized many of them!
The phrase "50 and fat" has been cropping up a lot among our friends & shipmates... when I remember what some of these people looked like in their 20s it's hard to reconcile the changes.

I sat around watching the wind blow and the rain fall while listening to songs posted in the thread "Greatest Love Songs Ever"......thanks to all the posters!

Changed the oil on two lawnmowers and the motorcycle. Went for an annual eye exam and new contact lenses. Tomorrow is a physical for work. Essentially I have to be able to speak, hear, see, and have a pulse, and then I am certified to not drop dead at an inconvenient time while at work for the next three years.

Also on the agenda is change the oil on the car and pickup truck. The reason for all this oil-changing is to get the lawnmowers stored with clean oil in them and the car & truck changed so I don't have to do it when the weather is nasty. This way it'll be spring time before they need it again.

DW and I had an early Thanksgiving Day lunch with two of our grandsons at their elementary school (yes, cafeteria food!). It was a nice break from our daily routine.

Lena's 25-cent garage sale Waveceptor watch was showing the wrong day of the week. So I pushed the button that tells it get the time calibration signal from Fort Collins, CO,

wwvb.jpg

and put it in the window. Two minutes later it had the correct day of the week. That watch blows my mind.

Got back from two weeks in PV, Barra de Navidad and Sayulita.

Actually, I got back Tuesday morning with the worst cold I've ever had. That damn Montezuma keeps changing his revenge.

Had 2 birds come in to say Hey it's winter. One of my winter jewels a Magnificent hummingbird, and noisy and nosy Mexican Jays are down from the higher elevations. Here the birds just migrate vertically it seems.

Ms. G and I helped serve Thanksgiving lunch for the EMT and Fire Chiefs of our county. Everyone was doing the Thank you for your service back and forth. I washed dishes, but claimed a big piece of homemade pumpkin pie for coffee tomorrow.

Ms. G is calling me for dinner Potato chorizo(soy) soup. And the dogs are barking at the Javalina's.

Gotta go.

Took Jasmine for a walk because it was much too windy to work on a ladder putting siding on my workshop- only need a couple more decent days and should have it weather tight.

Here's Jasmine

wild1.JPG

And here's a track we found on the driveway, wild turkey I think?

wild2.JPG

Completed my education on Roth IRA conversions.

Opened a traditional IRA for both DH and I and funded fully for 2010 with after tax dollars. Then immediately converted them to Roth IRAs AND put a note in my calendar that they can't be touched for five years. I really hope this 'loophole' stays intact for awhile.

Two months ago the above paragraph would have been gibberish to me. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom