what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 2 of feeling like there is a sledgehammer pounding in my head, and box number 2 of Puffs with Lotion is getting a lot of use. Mr B is out for the day doing Legion Commander stuff, with my blessing, so he doesn't catch this horrible bug. I am not very good company...:(

I am drinking a lot of fruit flavored herbal tea with honey. I have a pot of chicken broth with matzoh balls cooking on the stove. These 2 things are my best "medicines" for a cold of this intensity.

I am hoping I will feel a little better by tomorrow so I can enjoy the sunshine and clear skies we are having. :D

Holy smokes Tom! Wow! So you were a dj to support the music collecting habit or the other way around? :)
Just realized that I didn't answer this question - sorry Sarah! Weeell, I started buying records when I was 9 years old, but the primary desire was really to be a DJ. Once I achieved that, the free CD's just kept coming and coming. In the few years before I was laid off, I was beginning to become concerned with the rate at which my collection was growing but the collecting bug had become firmly entrenched. If the company I worked for hadn't gone out of business, who knows how many CD's I'd have in another 10 years.

I think they did me a favor by laying me off :D

Day 2 of feeling like there is a sledgehammer pounding in my head, and box number 2 of Puffs with Lotion is getting a lot of use. Mr B is out for the day doing Legion Commander stuff, with my blessing, so he doesn't catch this horrible bug. I am not very good company...:(

I am drinking a lot of fruit flavored herbal tea with honey. I have a pot of chicken broth with matzoh balls cooking on the stove. These 2 things are my best "medicines" for a cold of this intensity.

I am hoping I will feel a little better by tomorrow so I can enjoy the sunshine and clear skies we are having. :D

Freebird, my office is being ravaged by a dreadful spate of sickness with symptoms almost exactly as you describe them...pounding headache, sinus drainage, cough, muscle ache, general malaise. I understand from some of the stricken that the local walk-in urgent care clinic is doing a land office business as a result. I have been scheduling myself out of the place as much as possible to try to keep away from the contagion. Feel better soon and I hope Mr. B fends it off entirely.:flowers:

Worked in the garden today. This is near our window and it was planted to give hummingbirds a feast. Foreground is Coral Bells (Firefly), and Salvia growing together with Santa Barbara Daisies. The back plant with the little orange bells that hummers love is Abutilon. We eat our dinners right near the window and the hummers put on quiet a show.

2jafc53.jpg

Freebird, my office is being ravaged by a dreadful spate of sickness with symptoms almost exactly as you describe them...pounding headache, sinus drainage, cough, muscle ache, general malaise. I understand from some of the stricken that the local walk-in urgent care clinic is doing a land office business as a result. I have been scheduling myself out of the place as much as possible to try to keep away from the contagion. Feel better soon and I hope Mr. B fends it off entirely.:flowers:
I am actually feeling a little better tonight. I have been doing the fluids thing for 24 hours, resting in the recliner, and doing very little. I am sorry to say Mr B has a sore throat, so it is his turn next. I did everything I could to keep my germs to myself, covering my mouth with Kleenex when coughing, washing my hands constantly, not touching him or handing him anything I touched...argh :(
Well, at least I can take care of him without worrying about catching it myself. He went to bed, so tired he was not able to finish watching a baseball game. That is serious! :cool:

Gave another surfing lesson in Waikiki this morning. I love watching a new surfer stand up for the first time. They're both doing well enough that I'll be back Wed & Sat morning with more boards, and this time I'll paddle out on a board instead of on fins. They won't need much more help until we'll all be surfing together.

I really regret not taking you up on your offer of a surfing lesson, when I went to HI. If I ever make it back there and the offer is still open, I am going to try surfing!

I had the oil changed in my car today. They told me that my coolant needed flushed also, but I did not have it done today. We bought a new lawn mower to replace the one that we lent to our son. His girlfriend's 13 yr old son ran over a pipe with it. Also, went to the bank and bought $5000 worth of I bonds. Thanks to whoever it was that posted about their new interest rate. It sure beats the teeny interest that the bank posts to our account each month. I need to have DH go get some too. Went for a walk and enjoyed the beautiful day. Went to SSA.gov and did a WEP estimate of the amount of SSA I should get, if I finish getting my quarters of coverage--$59.00 per month. Need to decide when I should quit my job. We are transitioning to a new computer system and I hate to leave them in a lurch right now. I almost quit after I received a 26 cent per hour raise after a year. I am not sure that I want to be home 24/7 right now and I don't think that my DH wants me home that much either. Watched the Girl With the Dragon Tatoo tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really regret not taking you up on your offer of a surfing lesson, when I went to HI. If I ever make it back there and the offer is still open, I am going to try surfing!
Anytime! Waikiki surf is best between Mother's Day & Thanksgiving, but other times of the year it's just a short drive somewhere else.

They told me that my coolant needed flushed also, but I did not have it done today.
That tends to be a controversial upsell causing more harm than good.

-Went out and bought a name tag for my kitty just in case she gets out.

-Continued ripping my rather large CD collection.

-Had a tasty beef stew for dinner that had been cooking for 12 hours in the Crockpot, then poured a glass of red wine and listened to an album by a lady I used to work with. She's an amazing singer-songwriter with intelligence and heart. It's the first time I've sat down and listened to a whole album from beginning to end in a very long time. Beautiful songs and arrangements, all impeccably recorded:

Patsy Moore | Valley Village, CA | Pop / Dream Pop

We just returned from a cruise to Alaska via Vancouver . The weather was great . Chilly but no rain . The scenery is absolutely beautiful especially Vancouver and the inside passage . We had a great time now to unpack !

We just returned from a cruise to Alaska via Vancouver . The weather was great . Chilly but no rain . The scenery is absolutely beautiful especially Vancouver and the inside passage . We had a great time now to unpack !

Awesome! We leave in about 3 wks - can't wait!

Welcome home Moe... :greetings10:

--------------------------

I got my teeth cleaned this afternoon. Before I left, they took my pic as I flashed my pearly whites. Someone in the office said medical centers are taking pics more often now. I told them my gynecologist had not taken my pic. If he does, I don't think I'd know how/be able to smile.. :blink:

Played golf in between visiting mom at the nursing home. I have to admit, I'm losing hope that she will bounce back from her fall. She's lost 4 lbs last week and around 12 lbs in the last month. Just won't eat much of anything and making little progress in rehab. I'm tired of fighting with her in trying to get her to eat. She's 93, so I guess if shes ready to go I shouldn't try shoveling food down her throat if she doesn't want it. The doc adjusted her med's today so maybe that will help. Very frustrating for me, but more so for her.

Played golf in between visiting mom at the nursing home. I have to admit, I'm losing hope that she will bounce back from her fall. She's lost 4 lbs last week and around 12 lbs in the last month. Just won't eat much of anything and making little progress in rehab. I'm tired of fighting with her in trying to get her to eat. She's 93, so I guess if shes ready to go I shouldn't try shoveling food down her throat if she doesn't want it. The doc adjusted her med's today so maybe that will help. Very frustrating for me, but more so for her.
Sorry Dawg, this is frustrating and mainly because you love her and wish she could step up to the plate like she always did. It's a hard time for both of you.

Ha

So sorry to hear about your Mom . Hopefully the Nursing Home is giving her Ensure .

So sorry to hear about your Mom . Hopefully the Nursing Home is giving her Ensure .

Yes, but she is getting tired of those. They have something called a Magic Cup that is packed with calories, but she will only eat that so much. We will keep trying though.

I'm sorry Dawg. I know this isn't what you'd hoped for. All you can do is love her and be there for her. That's what's most important. :flowers:

I get so frustrated when a thread gets shut down, as I am looking at the possibility that someone will hit the wall and tell us how stupid we all are and vow to never to come back. (Then of course come back, usually with no comment about the departure.)

I really need some relief from SWR and "How do we all feel about sugar corn puffs now that we are big?"

Back to Waikiki this morning. Forecast was 3-5 lowering to 1-3. My "student" from Monday was doing fine on the 10'0" so I paddled out on my 9'0". After a few waves & pushes (with steady improvement) a six-footer broke on top of us. She started off fine but a few seconds later I saw the longboard pop up in the air without her. When the wave passed I could see that she was getting back onto the board. I caught the next wave to go over and get her set up for another push into another wave. As I approached she was ready to paddle, so I called to her to paddle into it... and she caught it! Great ride-- in control, standing up, having a wonderful time. My work here is done.

We're going back out Saturday morning with another friend.

Finally fixed the flapper door on the fridge's ice dispenser. The door's old solenoid had rusted so I replaced it yesterday, but I could see that water was condensing in the dispenser area and that the new solenoid was also going to die in 3-4 years. The freezer door is foam-insulated but the door is so thin around the flapper valve that the exterior warm moist air keeps condensing on the dispenser's pastic walls, corroding the solenoid, and running down the dispenser into the drip tray.

I thought that I'd be able to improve the situation with a little non-expanding spray foam, so I "gently" added small dribs of the foam around the solenoid and then took a dinner break. When I came back it was clear that the term "non-expanding" was oxymoronic, and the solenoid was clogged with foam.

This afternoon I spent an hour chipping away the foam, extracting the solenoid, cleaning it up, and re-installing it. During the process I noted that most of the condensing action is coming from above the solenoid, where there's no clearance for any spray foam. Even if I'd been able to keep the foam under control, the overhead condensation action would have continued to drip water onto the solenoid. We'll just have to let it drip.

I think we'll sell Fridgezilla in 2.9 years and buy a smaller even-more-efficient model.

I woke up FINALLY feeling like a human being instead of a 24 hour congestion factory. It is a beautiful day and methinks it is time to get the Mustang out for a spin before the rainy weather hits us this weekend.

I've been shopping online for good quality cotton sundresses, a tough thing to find in my size and to my taste. There are some really awful loud prints out there this year. :sick:
I put several on a wish list a few weeks ago, waiting for them to go on sale. My patience was rewarded and I ordered 3 fabulous dresses for very reasonable prices. :D

The front lawn needs mowing, but I think it can wait another day until one of us feels energetic enough to do it. I want the exercise and am convincing Mr B he needs to go easy on any sort of strenuous w*rk for now. Not too tough to sell him that deal. :LOL:

Had an 8 AM dentist appointment only to get the news that I need yet another crown. Came out to find my battery flat (parking lights left on) and paid $55 for tow service to do a 15 second jump. :(

Note to self:

1) Do not use parking lights, they over ride the auto shut off.

2) If you get a dead battery, walk to a hardware store and buy a portable jump starter. It may cost $50, but you have something to show for it.

I'm gonna toss in some jumper cables, too.

We had a bad storm Tuesday evening. We saw it on radar and it didn't look that bad but by the time it hit our neighborhood it was intense. There was lightning nearby and we heard a snap. We did not lose power but we did lose our internet. I thought it might be an outage in the area but it was just us. That was fixed yesterday afternoon out on the pole in the neighbor's yard.

We have DirecTV and while we lost the signal due to the severe weather, when it came back it only came back for the 2 standard def receivers and not for the HD DVR receiver. So a technician was here this morning. Although our DVR wasn't fried (we could still watch our recorded shows) he gave us a new DVR and replaced some wiring and tested everything. I hated to lose the DVR because I had a lot of shows recorded and I wanted them saved but I'll get over it. The new DVR is quieter and has a 500GB hard drive instead of an 80GB so I'm sure I'll learn to love it! Now I just need to figure out what we lost (Antiques Roadshow, Til Debt Do Us Part, Suze Orman, Storage Wars and many others) and see if it's repeated or if I can find it online. Not a great loss, it's just TV.

The loss of the HD DVR was disappointing but the lose of Internet was worse! We've become far too dependent on our internet.

Freebird, I'm glad you're feeling better. DH is on about day 7 or 8 of a horrible headcold. He was just one big collection of symptoms for a few days and is doing much better and sounding clearer. I'm amazed I didn't catch this from him.

My usual Tuesday morning workout, breakfast and BS session with the truth and veracity league at the diner.

Drove to my favorite kayaking lake for a looksee, got my season senior parking pass $50.-. Made it home, dragged the kayak out of the winter monthballs, set it up for a sanding an re-varnishing job.

Finally Kayaking weather is here.

...Freebird, I'm glad you're feeling better. DH is on about day 7 or 8 of a horrible headcold. He was just one big collection of symptoms for a few days and is doing much better and sounding clearer. I'm amazed I didn't catch this from him.
Thanks. :D
I actually feel like getting out of the house today instead of being coerced (yesterday). That in itself is a huge improvement.
The good news is Mr B is getting away with just a sore throat and some minor congestion. So far...got our fingers crossed.

Glad your DH is on the mend also. :flowers:

Nords said:
Finally fixed the flapper door on the fridge's ice dispenser. The door's old solenoid had rusted so I replaced it yesterday, but I could see that water was condensing in the dispenser area and that the new solenoid was also going to die in 3-4 years. The freezer door is foam-insulated but the door is so thin around the flapper valve that the exterior warm moist air keeps condensing on the dispenser's pastic walls, corroding the solenoid, and running down the dispenser into the drip tray.

I thought that I'd be able to improve the situation with a little non-expanding spray foam, so I "gently" added small dribs of the foam around the solenoid and then took a dinner break. When I came back it was clear that the term "non-expanding" was oxymoronic, and the solenoid was clogged with foam.

This afternoon I spent an hour chipping away the foam, extracting the solenoid, cleaning it up, and re-installing it. During the process I noted that most of the condensing action is coming from above the solenoid, where there's no clearance for any spray foam. Even if I'd been able to keep the foam under control, the overhead condensation action would have continued to drip water onto the solenoid. We'll just have to let it drip.

I think we'll sell Fridgezilla in 2.9 years and buy a smaller even-more-efficient model.

There's this new thing called an [Dr. Evil air quotes] "ice tray." Very dependable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom