What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoveled. Who needs a gym? Did not lose power - so far!

Made a decision to cut down 3 large trees in the back yard, two of which could take out the house, if they had a mind to. One is included in the picture.

This is my version of "blowing that dough". Back in the day I would have done one at a time.
Ha that looks familiar. It was a branch off of one of our big trees that took out our power last night. Luckily it was a smaller branch and it just missed the house and our windows. Time to get rid of that tree. We planted it years ago to give us some shade and now it is so big that we have to take it down!

Had a routine colonoscopy this morning... . I'll spare you the details of yesterday's prepping as that totally sucked.

Totally sucked? Sounds like you might have misread the prepping instructions.

Oh boy! Here, I have been doing my daily walks (3 times/day) in shorts, T-shirt, and sandals. High of 70s, low of 50s.

Of course, I'll pay for it comes summer. Or not. I can escape to my high-country home at 7,000 ft. Or I can go north in my RV. All the way to Alaska, as currently planned.

Ugh, I can only dream ... and revive my plan for moving while I still can. You have built in such flexibility in location!

I had three gargantuan trees removed from my lot, right after buying this house. Any of them could have taken out my house or any of six other houses that they hung over. I felt bad about removing trees (hey, I like trees and shade as much as anybody), but honestly it was such a good decision.

Beautiful photo, by the way!

Thanks!

Somebody on my street sent up a drone and posted pictures from above. I was struck by how none of the surrounding back yards have any trees in them. Forehead-slapping moment.

Speaking of blowing that dough, blew nearly $700 on a shiny, wonderful new brass water shut off valve in the house !

I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to do it. :(

When we got home from holiday and I turned the water back on, the old valve gushed madly in a vain attempt to do a miniature Niagara Falls impression.

Three days without water, one plumber no-show, two plumber visits and two visits by the city water crew later and my dream is fulfilled... glad I scrimp and save so much to spend money on such wonderful things...

I prefer renting. DW prefers owning a home.

Still, guess who had to deal with all this b.s.

Speaking of blowing that dough, blew nearly $700 on a shiny, wonderful new brass water shut off valve in the house !

I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to do it. :(

When we got home from holiday and I turned the water back on, the old valve gushed madly in a vain attempt to do a miniature Niagara Falls impression.

Three days without water, one plumber no-show, two plumber visits and two visits by the city water crew later and my dream is fulfilled... glad I scrimp and save so much to spend money on such wonderful things...

I prefer renting. DW prefers owning a home.

Still, guess who had to deal with all this b.s.

I was fortunate to have a plumber point out the old style main shutoff valve while I water having the water heater replaced after we closed on our Florida condo a couple of years ago. Had it replaced a few days later after the building manager notified other condo owners their water would be off in our stack while the work was being done. I don’t recall the cost, but it wasn’t $700 for the valve. But a lot of piece of mind having since seen water damage in other units with the old style shut offs.

I was fortunate to have a plumber point out the old style main shutoff valve while I water having the water heater replaced after we closed on our Florida condo a couple of years ago. Had it replaced a few days later after the building manager notified other condo owners their water would be off in our stack while the work was being done. I don’t recall the cost, but it wasn’t $700 for the valve. But a lot of piece of mind having since seen water damage in other units with the old style shut offs.

Oh, I do agree with the piece of mind. Absolutely. And it is good to have a new ball valve instead of the old wheel faucet type.

And to clarify, I think the valve itself and the fittings he used might be worth about $100 total. $230 of that $700 went to the city. And then there is our lovely 13% HST in the mix as well...

My day yesterday was active. Woke up early. Did two conference calls for w*rk which took a total of two hours. (That was all the w*rk for the day.) During the calls, while on mute, I drove to Target to return some stuff. Then jumped off the second call early for an exercise class. Then went to shooting range for target practice. Came home, took a nap, then shopped for wall art, bought some and spent a couple hours hanging it. Then had a date with a new lady and went for a nice dinner.

Hmm can I say I signed up for a side hustle.. isn't that what the kids call it these days. Filled out the paperwork for early voting elections official, go to training next week.

Its the perfect type of work, need to find more of that type, something adhoc where you only work 2 weeks at a time and you get paid weekly so I don't have to wait around to get paid. I'll earn enough to replace the stove which the front burner will only turn on max HIGH, so of course is just a burn hazard waiting to happen and of course that part is the only part they don't make any longer...ie ran out of because its clearly defective.

The best part is that everything was done online and I didn't even have to talk to anyone until I was already assigned to a polling place and had to hand in paperwork.

We saw the play Ragtime at Berkeley Playhouse last night and today I got caught up on some errands and grocery shopping.

We went to a Bacon and Beer Festival yesterday in Oakland at Jack London Square during the day. In the evening a local golf course restaurant had free drinks and dinner with a live band in return for bringing in donations to the food bank, so that was a great deal and a fun night out. Today we went out for brunch, visited a Farmer's Market, walked the dog and got caught up around the house.

Exercise, walk my doggies and watched a movie called God of War- Korean drama . Unfortunately it has 51 episodes and I am only on episode 7.

Gave a friend a surprise 80th Birthday Party at Burger King at our ROMEO meet up. He was surprised. :cool:

IMG_20180309_080805.jpg

(he rides his 10 speed bike about 8 miles each way to the meet up - unless it's raining)

Had an MRI at 2:30, then drove straight to Ruby Tuesday's with a 50% off coupon since I wasn't allowed to eat anything until after the MRI. Indeed, hunger is the best appetizer!

Installed a monster locked mailbox, trimmed a tree to keep the black squirrel off the roof (I sure hope he didn't find the attic), bought a 9 kW photovoltaic panel system.

Last week, finally moved all I need to from TIRA to Roth.

If I stop working by 2019, won't even have to file again.

(My retirement home will be The Mission.)

Gave a friend a surprise 80th Birthday Party at Burger King at our ROMEO meet up. He was surprised. :cool:

(he rides his 10 speed bike about 8 miles each way to the meet up - unless it's raining)

Man. That guy does not look 80.

Another accomplishment today. I'd previously posted that we bought a house, but there is a catch. We are only 10 months into a one year lease but the landlord had verbally said we could break the lease if the house could be rented with no interruption in tenants.

I told the landlord we were moving three weeks ago but she has been slow in posting the place for rent. So, I posted the place myself on Zillow, Trulia and Hotpads then funneled prospects to her phone number. It worked! I showed the place and sent the prospect over to apply and he was accepted, so we will not lose any money (knock on wood) if it goes off as expected. We were on the hook for about $4K to the end of the lease.

This was sneaky, but we were somewhat at cross purposes with the landlord. :angel:

Played hookey from the gym and took the dogs down to the riverwalk. Lots of tourists in town for spring break and the dogs enjoyed extra petting.

Our old Maltese can't walk much more than a mile before he gets tired and just wants to sniff around. Sure enough I had to carry him most of the second mile. As we were almost back and met a couple walking their little Maltese as I'm carrying ours. I'd never met a Maltese that was aggressive, six pounds and a holy terror. The owner's said as soon as the leash goes on, the dog gets aggressive.

On the way home we passed one of the local lakes had a pair of white migratory swans on it. I don't think I've ever seen wild ones before. They're pretty impressive when they dabble.

Last edited:
Put on some nice clothes to go to the memorial service for a long-term family friend. We knew he was older but just learned that he was 91, a lot older than we thought.

I got hailed on while fishing from the shore yesterday. I stuck it out because it always seemed that the sunshine was only 100 yards away.

w3M9LF2.jpg

I heard this weird hissing noise, like nothing I've heard before. It wasn't windy, and the noise wasn't from the ocean (which is on the other side of that sand spit).

I looked south and the water looked all weird. Then the hail came right along the water, even though there was no wind. Two minutes, and it was gone.

When I got to the truck, my hands were so cold that I needed two hands to turn the key.

Still, it's fun to be out in the weather. You get a connection to it that's missing when you're in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom