What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you make the dough from scratch or buy the cookie dough... BTW, the latter is a lot easier and the cookies are as good or better.

I actually went to the mall :eek: and got a good deal on a couple of flannel shirts. Since I went when they opened I missed the teenagers on their snow day. Then I went to the gym and had lunch at a local (but major) craft brewery.

I shoveled snow off the driveway and sidewalk yesterday and feel great today. Before ER and regular gym visits I would have been sore as heck and probably horizontal for several days.

Wow! I just got a Christmas card from Vanguard! Well, OK, it was an e-mail and it was addressed to " Valued Customer" but still... I think I will have an extra cup of coffee this morning and enjoy the warm feeling bestowed upon me by my favorite investment company. [emoji3]

Wow! I just got a Christmas card from Vanguard! Well, OK, it was an e-mail and it was addressed to " Valued Customer" but still... I think I will have an extra cup of coffee this morning and enjoy the warm feeling bestowed upon me by my favorite investment company. [emoji3]
I got the same Christmas "card". Wow, and I didn't even have to pay 1% on AUM. I feel special.

DH and I went to a nearby community center for a free trial to play pickle ball. It was our first time playing indoors and our first time playing doubles. There were a lot of people there rotating in on the courts, and everyone was friendly and helpful teaching us the rules and strategy. We’ve been playing by ourselves on the outdoor courts at the park, so never had anyone teach us the official rules.

It was a lot of fun, so we decided to join the community center. It’s only $60 for a three month membership!

We want to buy some different paddles. Last summer when we wanted to try the game, I bought a cheap set of paddles and balls from Amazon. Apparently the paddles are really bad (they are wooden). Today, as we came off the court, one of the ladies remarked “You guys are pretty good. We were all just wondering how good you’d be if you got some real paddles”.

So now we are looking for some decent pickle ball paddles, hopefully less than $50 each. Any recommendations from anyone?

Skipped working out. Went figure skating instead, over an hour. Then coffe at B&N's cafeteria while perused a Metaphysics magazine, which I did not buy. It was a bargain $12. something.

Flew an Angel Flight to Palm Springs to pick up 3 coolers of blood and plasma to fly to the central processing unit.
Arrived 2 hrs early to meet my son. We spent the time chatting, and I gave him a copy of the studio photos of DW and I and one of me. He was overwhelmed, and told me he did not have any pictures of me.

Did you make the dough from scratch or buy the cookie dough... BTW, the latter is a lot easier and the cookies are as good or better.

Dough made from scratch. Used the recipe on the chocolate chip bag, but added a little extra flour, per Mom's instructions

We have been happy with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073R54BZL/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also, make sure to check with those you play with before buying pickleballs... we bought some but the people that we play with seem to prefer a different type and color of ball.

Thank you, I’ll check those out.

Late this afternoon DH and I decided to head into Philadelphia to see the “Deck the Hall” light display at City Hall. We saw the tree, walked around the Christmas Village at Love Park, and saw the light display. It was a nice outing.

Dough made from scratch. Used the recipe on the chocolate chip bag, but added a little extra flour, per Mom's instructions

Interesting. I made the cookies from scratch and use a little less flour but add 1 more egg.
They had a fair near us and a stand was selling cookie dough. It was excellent in its raw form.

Workout completed, now waiting for a breakfast casserole to bake... Yes, it is nearly 2PM; your point is? [emoji12]

It was pouring rain this morning but I needed a haircut, so we stopped off at Supercuts on the way to lunch. This afternoon I have some podcasts I want to listen to, and during or after that I *might* sweep and mop.

It's a rough life being a retiree, but somebody's got to do it. :D ha ha! just kidding

Watched The Way.......https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1441912/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt

(Notice how I cunningly sidestepped the Netflix and TV series threads since this is neither.)

Loved the movie.....DW and I agreed that we should have walked this when my knees/hip were still up to it. (She did suggest, however, that the next time we're in the region we'll stroll a small section.)

Went to what I hope and plan to be my last ever office holiday party. Sang two songs from Hamilton - Story of Tonight and I Know Him - for the assembled group of 209 colleagues. It was actually the most fun I've ever had at one of these occasions.

Went to what I hope and plan to be my last ever office holiday party. Sang two songs from Hamilton - Story of Tonight and I Know Him - for the assembled group of 209 colleagues. It was actually the most fun I've ever had at one of these occasions.
Good for you! I remember the last one I went to just before I retired. I made a special effort to get something special for each of my coworkers. I expected nothing in return, and was not disappointed.

Today cut down an approximate 35 ft tall, 15-inch trunk diameter tree that was leaning towards neighbor's yard. Not rotten but didn't want it to fall. Cut it all up and stacked the 2-inch and larger wood. Piled rest on my burn pile. The larger diam logs will need splitting. Save that for another day. Burn off the small stuff once it's dried out some.

I am watching the worst movie ever . Destination Wedding with Winona Ryder and Keneau Reeves . It is like a car crash I can not look away because I am amazed at how awful it is.

Pruned the last of my apple trees. This one must not have been properly pruned for five or more years. I probably took off too much at once but it was a mess with a mini forest of waterspouts and tangled and crossed branches. It will be in shock when it wakes up next spring and asks, "what the hell happened?"

Since it was cold and rainy all day, I stayed inside and cooked half a dozen hard boiled eggs, made a gigunda salad that fits in one of those giant Tupperware bowls, and installed the drift cutter bars on the snow thrower that had been sitting on the floor for a week. (The bars, not the thrower.) I had to wait until DW took the car out so I'd have an empty garage bay to work in. Thusly, I've pounded another nail in the "it's not going to snow this winter" box. Or at least not enough to need drift cutters. I hope.

DW, having contracted shopping madness for a grandniece, went out to a shopping mall to get some books for said grandniece. Lessee, it's the next-to-last-Saturday before Christmas, she's going to a large mall, what does anyone think the traffic is going to be like? Yup, an absolute zoo. Glad I had sense enough to stay home, but I have had enough experience to keep that sentiment to myself.:)

I got a Christmas card in the mail today from Abigail Johnson. Eat your hearts out, Eddie Jones customers!

The weather was fantastic here in central Iowa and we had a wonderful day. Bike riding, lawn mowing, several nice walks....and then I grilled out some nice steaks and we had wine with our dinner. One of the days when you feel really lucky.

Six hour fishing trip today. Warm, sunny, calm, six trout (small and medium). Lena walked to the pull out point just when I was coming in and got a nice picture.

qJDhEwQ.png

Here's one of the fish--Oops!

wqkbjX0.png

Pruned the last of my apple trees. This one must not have been properly pruned for five or more years. I probably took off too much at once but it was a mess with a mini forest of waterspouts and tangled and crossed branches. It will be in shock when it wakes up next spring and asks, "what the hell happened?"

We moved to a new property and have to prune a small orchard of a dozen apple trees. Any tips/tricks to impart ? Do you seal the cuts ? If so, what with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom