What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Harbor Freight and have a dozen or so of their tools, both power and hand tools. They're great for a one-off job or when you just don't need a tool that has micrometer precision or will last a lifetime under constant use.
I have several tools like that from Harbor Freight. So far, the tap and die set has only been used once, but the 1/2 inch socket set and breaker bar have gotten more use than I expected. Mainly oil drain plugs, but also the anode rod of a water heater.

Didn't work on kitchen today ----

Drove into SF. Went to Crissy Fields to play ball with kids & dog. Then walked through Fort Mason to Fisherman's Wharf for late lunch at Boudins (bought souvenir bread), listened to street musicians, watched street artists (biker was GOOD), onto Ghirardelli Square for hot fudge & caramel sundaes (yes bought souvenir chocolates), ubered back to Crissy Fields and headed home at 6.
View attachment 38944View attachment 38945View attachment 38946

Now that sounds like a "good" day! I'm envious. :greetings10:

DD, her hubby, and my favorite (and only) grandson just headed home after spending the weekend. It is so totally quiet here now...

We had a great weekend. DGS snuggled with grandpa on this trip. That is a first. The tempo, my heart rate, and my blood pressure all go up dramatically when they come and visit. One forgets what a fast paced life it is with little ones around. I'm looking forward to their next visit already!

After making a shade screen for my beloved tomato plant, I thought about shades for ourselves too.

We can use some shades over the pool. Right now, the sun is so bright it makes my eyes hurt, and my skin turning crispy. It's enough to make you not want to use the pool.

Enter this shade from Amazon. See Web photo. I am trying out one sail to see how it looks, and may order more. I should be able to string it easily with the existing structures around the pool.

71Z5wnnVrvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Looks good! Might look into that once I finish current 'project.' 1 at a time

Well started with a pollen induced hacking cough at 2:30 am that made me sleep on the couch and let DW sleep... until six thirty. Got up, had coffee, made a soft scrambled egg and onion dish with herbed goat cheese and salmon pate on top. Cut some grass, worked on cleaning up the barn a bit. Then DW and I took the vintage Mercedes convertible for a drive to an Italian restaurant we had not tried before. It was very good, nice outdoor dining on a spectacular New England day. Came back, took the younger pup of the two to the state park for a 1.4 mi. hike, then did some yard work. Around 5:30, built a fire in the firepit and had a beer with DW. Then lingered, and had a half glass of wine, it was just too nice out. Later, made dinner, seared a very nice Ahi Tuna steak and served with shredded ginger/maple carrots and jasmine rice with scallions and Tamari sauce. After dinner, DW and sat at the dinner table and talked about future plans to build a new home at the lake. I am not completely on board yet, but we are coming up with some great ideas....

Now about to hit "post reply" and go clean up the kitchen....

We were camping and checking out a possible retirement home area the last few days. I drove up to a property with a fabulous view and a horrific road. Ix-nay on that one.
Found another on flat ground with just your basic mountain views that was much better. No decision yet, just getting a feel for things there.

Celebrating out National Day over here in Norway. Watched the children's suitable distanced parade and later the veteran car parade.

It's sunny and fluttering flags everywhere. We are having a BBQ in a bit and ice cream and coffee after that.

I read all the posts in this thread but I don't post very often myself.

Celebrating out National Day over here in Norway. Watched the children's suitable distanced parade and later the veteran car parade.

It's sunny and fluttering flags everywhere. We are having a BBQ in a bit and ice cream and coffee after that.

I read all the posts in this thread but I don't post very often myself.

Gratulerer med dagen.

Lets know how your progress goes and how effective it will be.
Fishing line goose deterrent is working so-so. The determined geese can go around the end through brush to get to our yard. And the babies can go under the lowest string.

As to what I did yesterday - finished updating sprinkling system to bypass faulty valve and added a water spigot where we can water plants and wash cars from the sprinkling system.

Not without a problem though. Cut into sprinkling line to add fittings. But it wasn't a sprinkler line - it was my security system wire that I put inside of sprinkler pipe as a conduit. Forgot that I did that.

Security system shut down, and wouldn't come back on even after pig tailing wires back together. Now for a service call.

It sounds like you are making some headway to retard the geese. I be they will be a perpetual issue. Good luck!

I also buried a 120V line to a sand point I drove last spring. it is also inside a water pipe so I hope to remember that also down the road.

Today I'm going to dig/bury 30 feet of 3/4 pipe and add a sprinkler to my system. I will have to cut existing line and install a "T" fitting so I can tap that line for the added line.

I've never had occasion to bury any lines, but if I were using water pipes both to carry water and to carry electric wires, I think I would spray paint them before I buried them. Perhaps blue for water and red for electric.

I've never had occasion to bury any lines, but if I were using water pipes both to carry water and to carry electric wires, I think I would spray paint them before I buried them. Perhaps blue for water and red for electric.

Better yet, just use the grey electrical conduit for electric as it is intended for. It is less expensive than the water PVC stuff.

All of my sprinkler lines are 1” with no markings. The electrical conduit is 3/4” with yellow markings. And I still cut into it. Senior moment I guess.

^^ True and True!
Being in the electrical/engineering business for 35 years. You would think I would do those things by habit. Lol

I used black water line, we used for cattle watering and is larger and different from my UG sprinkler system pipe.

It sounds like you are making some headway to retard the geese. I be they will be a perpetual issue. Good luck!

I also buried a 120V line to a sand point I drove last spring. it is also inside a water pipe so I hope to remember that also down the road.

Today I'm going to dig/bury 30 feet of 3/4 pipe and add a sprinkler to my system. I will have to cut existing line and install a "T" fitting so I can tap that line for the added line.

Thanks - the geese are a problem, but at least we haven't had any ground hog and raccoon infestations yet this year.

Good luck with your sprinkler project. Good time of the year to dig trenches before it gets too hot.

DD, her hubby, and my favorite (and only) grandson just headed home after spending the weekend. It is so totally quiet here now...

We had a great weekend. DGS snuggled with grandpa on this trip. That is a first. The tempo, my heart rate, and my blood pressure all go up dramatically when they come and visit. One forgets what a fast paced life it is with little ones around. I'm looking forward to their next visit already!

Awe, grand babies are the best. Yes, very busy when they are around! Both of our youngest were here this weekend (5 year and 18 months). Today, we are resting.
Plumbers coming later to scope, the 60+ year old sewer pipes may need replacing--ugh.

Wrapping up a 4 day trip to Prosser, Washington for wine tasting with 4 friends. Great weather. Pretty good wines. Expensive trip altogether but great fun

I had a nice chat with a health insurance agent about my mum’s account. Seems a physician posted a claim for a service that was never given. When I saw it I contacted the physician and after some back and forth she agreed the visit never happened and the claim would be withdrawn. It was, but then resubmitted and paid. I let the insurer know it was bogus.

One of the downsides of an assisted living facility. The physician sends no invoice or paperwork to the patient, just bills insurance. I wonder how many other residents had their insurance billed for visits that same day.

Yesterday, I bought and assembled an office chair for my wife's return to working from home, returned an electrical box I didn't use with the ceiling fan, put up what will probably be the last wall shelf in the garage, and mulched a few recent plantings.

Nothing exciting, but all needed to be done.

I mowed the lawn again yesterday. It is growing so fast that I have to do it every four days.

Had a 6" rain storm yesterday. I need to clean out the stormwater drains around the perimeter of the house as they are getting plugged after 20 years in the ground. Ugh! I'll wait for really hot and humid weather to take on that project! (it's coming anyway)

This morning I had my planned dental surgery at 9:30 AM. Tooth #9 was "damaged" (loosened) in a car wreck in 1975 and after all these years, it's root died and calcified. Also, an infection was noted above it during my last checkup recently. So the plan is to pull the tooth, graft bone, if necessary (it was), and drill and insert an internal threaded stud for a future implant (next visit for the drill job). New implant this summer.

I am at home wearing off the anesthesia affects and waiting for the last of the bleeding to stop before in snap in my fake front tooth!

Maybe this post should have gone in the "Blow the Dough" thread instead?

I mowed the lawn again yesterday. It is growing so fast that I have to do it every four days.

Oh no!

A gentle spray of glyphosate will take care of that pronto. :D

Up at my high-country boondocks home, I had weed growing in my gravel driveway. It was really bad one summer when we took a long RV trip and left the yard neglected. I had to do a bit of weed pulling afterwards.

Next year it was sprouting again. This time, I sprayed the weed as it emerged. No carpet bombing, but only specific spots.

That was a few years ago, and we have had 2 or 3 summers weed free. Glyphosate is not supposed to stay active in the ground that long, so maybe it was just a fluke.

... Tooth #9 was "damaged"...

I am ... waiting ... before in snap in my fake front tooth!

Maybe this post should have gone in the "Blow the Dough" thread instead?

It is rather "Blow through the Gap" thread. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom