What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regrettably back to civilization after days in the Alaskan bush. Earlier today dodging bears while fly fishing at Brooks Falls.

Was up in Truckee, CA yesterday and watched as the plume of smoke grew and rose up north from the wildfire flames consuming the rural community of Greenville. Winds were blowing and the fires spread very fast. And there’s another wildfire at lower elevation near the town of Colfax.

We aren’t in danger from either of these two fires, but the dry, hot, smokey and windy conditions have everyone on edge.

At home on our parcel this Spring and Summer I’ve cleaned up and removed all dead and dying trees, removed all trees and brush near the house and have the weeds all mowed down to create defensible space. I hope we never have to test how defensible this space is if/when a fire comes through our area.

The poor people of Greenville lived on edge for 3 weeks watching that Dixie Fire. Firefighters could not contain it, and it swept through town like nothing.

Everything's gone in minutes. Just like what happened to Lytton in Canada a month ago. How horrific!

I painted my new shed door today. It blew off in a storm in early March, taking a large chunk of the frame with it. It has taken this long to have a new one delivered. Initially, Home Depot dithered for 2 months when I ordered from them, so I cancelled and ordered from Lowes in early June. It finally arrived and was installed two days ago.

I am so sorry for your loss Dawg52...I cannot even imagine losing a pup :(

Worked on a client this morning, doing some home maintenance stuff, and chilling out with a cup of coffee. Later this evening when it cools down, I will go and dig up all the prickly pear cactus off the 2 acres. Our dog, Odin has a play date with a neighbor's pup tomorrow evening :D

Sorry for your loss Dawg.

We're in the heavy smoke today first really bad day this year. We've had some all summer but we didn't taste it before. Went out to lunch to Chinese and ran a couple errands. It's our pups 6th month birthday and DW wanted to get her something special.

DW booked a 2022 Iceland cruise today. BTD.

We prepared and canned 10 pints of roasted tomato sauce. It took about 35-40 pounds of our sauce tomatoes. We have many, many more, so I expect we'll do it again in 2 or 3 days.

Gumby, that is awesome and those taste so much better then bought sauce. My wife did some this morning also.

Hit a (temporary) milestone yesterday. Younger son is traipsing around Europe till the end of the month. Older son moved out yesterday to share a house with friends. So for a few weeks (till younger son returns) we are empty nesters. YAY!!!

Younger son heads off to college mid September... so it will be more permanent at that time.

We've got various van camping trips planned and need to muck out older son's room. He was a bit of a pack hound - trashcan is curbside and full for tomorrows pickup - I expect to fill it up again tomorrow after pickup.

For now we are high-fiving each other with big grins on our faces... the boys are growing up and starting their own adventures. We are happy for them.

Reactions: W2R
Hit a (temporary) milestone yesterday. Younger son is traipsing around Europe till the end of the month. Older son moved out yesterday to share a house with friends. So for a few weeks (till younger son returns) we are empty nesters. YAY!!!

Younger son heads off to college mid September... so it will be more permanent at that time.

We've got various van camping trips planned and need to muck out older son's room. He was a bit of a pack hound - trashcan is curbside and full for tomorrows pickup - I expect to fill it up again tomorrow after pickup.

For now we are high-fiving each other with big grins on our faces... the boys are growing up and starting their own adventures. We are happy for them.
Now that’s a true milestone and well worth enjoying .. while it lasts. Congratulations on making it this far.

My husband took the boys fishing for the weekend and I enjoyed a weekend all by myself. I straightened up the house then put the dog in the car and spent a peaceful weekend at our river shack. I came home late today and the house was STILL CLEAN!

That is a milestone. Enjoy!

We had 16 yards of 3/4" black granite gravel delivered. Yesterday a friend helped and we moved about 10 - 11 yards of it to the back yard planter/firepit area with wheelbarrows. It was warm...30C when we started, 33 (91F) when we finished.

Dawg52--sorry for the loss of your pup. Sounds like you had a good life with him.

Have enjoyed the cooler temps this weekend. Back to >100 degree days again later this week. I am not a fan of anything over 80 degrees!

Major progress on two pressing projects today.

Functional upgrade on the 16' flatbed trailer is done. New tires, new decking (cost $200, if I did it 3 weeks earlier, would have cost $400) with recessed D ring tie downs, new lights, new electric brake wiring and electric brakes tested. Sold my pickup earlier this year, have an SUV now, this trailer is key in a pending move... among other things.

After days of scrubbing crud on engine tin, finally made good progress re-assembling the 1956 VW truck engine. This engine will play a pivotal role as a surrogate engine in the 1957 VW Beetle near term. The 57's original engine was finally rebuilt, and installed last fall, and after on about 200 miles on the road, has developed a "bad noise", internal rap under load and will have to be torn down again. The Beetle is being used this summer in an HBO Max filming production and Time Warner has asked specifically for this car in shoots next week, so, NO PRESSURE! The truck and Beetle engine are basically identical except for the muffler. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to remove one from a running car. Internals on the truck engine were all completed early 2020, the task now it building up all the peripherals, engine tin, intake, carb, distributor, coil, fan housing, etc.

Lot's of grease under the fingernails today!!!

Attachments

• 20210811_155410[1].jpg
    20210811_155410[1].jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20210811_104909[1].jpg
    20210811_104909[1].jpg
    689.3 KB · Views: 57
Picked up the title for my boat. Full steam ahead!

Went for a hike and got caught in a deluge 2 miles from the trailhead. So I got a little trail run in on my way back. Still got soaked. Came home, took a nap, and then washed the floor of my workshop.

doneat54 >> You accomplished a lot and looks Great!!

Scrambled a bit to help DD today. Offered to pick up grandson from a cross country event. On the way home, we got caught in a bad storm. Almost out ran it. We turned onto her street to see a tree down and all power was out. From that point I went home and got my generator and then back to their house to get them going. Now we wait. I don’t expect power to be back on until at least tomorrow, probably longer. With high 80 degree temps and high humidity, they’re going to get uncomfortable real soon. They’ll probably be here tomorrow if the power doesn’t come back on soon.

Had DGD here yesterday. She loves to help DW cook breakfast which she did. Afterwards I had to get here "craftbox" down for her to make a box for her mummy's birthday. I told her we could go get a box but she wants to go all out this year for the birthday. She then proceeded to tape together and then paint her gift box, to place her necklace that she made for mommy.Later my DW went to get her hair done so I took DGD out to her favorite Arbys for lunch. She is such a pleasure to spend time with and does this old man good to be able to do it.:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom