What Did You Hack Today?

We're going to hack up 4.5 pounds of King Crab legs this afternoon. I'm thinking a crab leg omelet for tomorrows breakfast too.

My banana tree to dry a neti pot.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    578.3 KB · Views: 43
I'll play..
After 12 years of use (some would say abuse) the bottom part of cutlery basket in my dishwasher developed holes - (well bigger holes) from the plastic breaking.

Quick and easy fix, I threaded plastic ties across the holes and now the spoons and knives don't drop to the bottom of the washer. Saved $50 or so.. Woohoo!

I just did the same hack for a different reason. Changed health clubs and the corner shelves they have in the showers are wire so my small sample size shampoos were falling out the bottom. Not any more! Cut a rigid piece of plastic out of a kitty litter container to size and keep it in the plastic bag that holds the shampoos.

Attachments

• IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 37
Speaking of tie wraps...

My dishwasher has 2 silverware bins that hang on the racks. Easy to remove (for some unknown reason) and are very easily removed by pulling a utensil that gets stuck which causes me to use foul language.

So I tied those suckers to the wire racks with 2 ties each and you can pull all you want and that sucker is not coming out - :)

Since we've been turned in the hedgehog rescue society by DW (two homeless hedgies now), my plastic fold out tables have been re-tasked as hedgehog cage stands. Now that it's tax time even for real procrastinators (that's for you, W2R) I needed additional table space to spread out on to do our taxes. Since I am a woodworker extraordinaire I was able to whip up this highly technical workspace. Hey, it works!

Attachments

• DSCF1892.jpg
    DSCF1892.jpg
    406 KB · Views: 49
Since we've been turned in the hedgehog rescue society by DW (two homeless hedgies now), my plastic fold out tables have been re-tasked as hedgehog cage stands. Now that it's tax time even for real procrastinators (that's for you, W2R) I needed additional table space to spread out on to do our taxes. Since I am a woodworker extraordinaire I was able to whip up this highly technical workspace. Hey, it works!
You might be able to get that on thereifixedit.com

We're going to hack up 4.5 pounds of King Crab legs this afternoon. I'm thinking a crab leg omelet for tomorrows breakfast too.

That’s exactly how we use leftover king crab.

Salads work too.

Used to do that with nails and hot dogs when we were little. There was even a product in the 60's -

What do you think UL would have to say about those today?

I owned one of those in the 60s. It actually worked, sorta.

You might be able to get that on thereifixedit.com

I wish I had pictures from the time I used car scissor jacks and 2 x 4s to hold up a cabinet mounted microwave while I installed it. It would have been a perfect addition to that site.

I hacked our waffle iron today.

We've had one of these for fifteen years:

black-decker-sweet-hearts-waffle_1_36abcaa75a3fa2216a987c87eff7ab93.jpg

It always gave a loud but brief chirp when the waffles were ready. We've used it to make lo-carb waffles, and for years everything was fine.

The waffles started sticking recently, and today, instead of a polite chirp, the tone stayed on continuously, ear-damagingly loud.

After percussive maintenance and micro-percussive maintenance (where you take it apart and clean and whack the individual pieces) the horn still stayed on.

I almost pulled the trigger on a $39 new one, but instead, I removed the piezoelectric horn, and followed the tips in this article:

https://wafflemakershub.com/advice/stop-waffles-from-sticking-waffle-iron/

Tried a new batch, and they came out perfectly. The light on the iron still tells us when they're done, and I can set a timer, too.

Recipe: http://www.tovaindustries.com/carbalose/recipe2.php?c=3

Last edited:
I hacked our waffle iron today.

We've had one of these for fifteen years:
I almost pulled the trigger on a $39 new one, but instead, I removed the piezoelectric horn, and followed the tips in this article:

https://wafflemakershub.com/advice/stop-waffles-from-sticking-waffle-iron/

I am sitting here reading this going "No, there is not a site just for waffle makers". Ohhh yes there is! So much good stuff on this thread. I love "There I fixed it" mentioned a few topics ago.

Of course you could have bought a new one, but where's the fun in that? Are you using almond meal for the low-carb flour?

Never mind. Should have read the recipe. Didn't know about Carbquik.

Back
Top Bottom