What have you done in your life that is interesting or different?

In the different and dumb category: Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans. This actually happened to me twice, once at the airport, once at a store. Couldn't stop laughing.

Wore mismatched shoes (same brand, but slightly different styles and colors) to the office. Twice. Also did the same with gymshoes to the gym but only once.

bestbumever? ;)

Started dating my DH when I was 15. He's still my favorite person on the planet. I think that is pretty cool.

I have our picture from prom in the kitchen. :)

SIS

Felt something weird and looked down to see a spare pair of underwear creeping out of the bottom of the leg of my jeans.
In a similar incident, the Wing Commander (USAF Col) walked up to me in base operations one morning and asked, "Lieutenant REW, what't this?", then reached over to something protruding from inside the cuff of my nomex (nylon) flight suit and slowly pulled out a pair of my wife's panty hose.

In a similar incident, the Wing Commander (USAF Col) walked up to me in base operations one morning and asked, "Lieutenant REW, what't this?", then reached over to something protruding from inside the cuff of my nomex (nylon) flight suit and slowly pulled out a pair of my wife's panty hose.

At least I was losing my own lingerie :).

Dryer sheets really are my friend.

I jumped from a plane also. Had breakfast with a president. Also saved DW's life- she had a blue faced choking fit and I heimliched her - and it worked. She sees it as more of a big deal than I do.

Maybe something you did (of course not the bank you robbed and did not get caught) someplace you visited, something you were a part of or someone famous you knew or met. Just something you tell or will tell your grandchildren. I think mine is that I worked at the White House and have been in the residence and also in the "basement". I have flown completely around the world, of course that is no big deal for a pilot. My mother did not have a birth certificate, just a letter signed by her older sister that she was there went my mother was born. What was your 15 minutes of fame?
24 years of U.S. Navy sea stories. Most of them will be classified for the rest of my life. Many of the rest are not suitable for a family forum...

I got charged by a black rhinoceros, while on foot in Kenya.
Aren't they always on foot?

Reminds me of the old Groucho Marx punchline: "How that elephant got into my pajamas, I'll never know!"

"Sir, I thought that's why they call it a cockpit!"

Saved a few lives this summer by spotting a few teenagers being dumb and getting washed out to sea, then watched a few more folks jump in to extremely dangerous rip tides to save the first 2 and get washed out too.

I waded (as fast as I could) 1/4 mile back to the beach along a sand bar, tracked down someone with a cell phone, placed the 911 call and they brought out rescue forces by air, sea and land (including Marine/Cost Guard chopper that didn't get there till the 4 were safe).

Rescue crews pull 4 swimmers at North Topsail Beach | 9 On Your Side

After the excitement died down, I chatted with the emergency responders and they said the 4 most likely would have drowned if I didn't call it in quickly. I don't think anyone else realized the initial 2 were in serious trouble and had been sucked out to sea, and no one else knew (for sure) the other 2 had jumped in to save the first 2. The weirdest thing was how slow I had to wade back to shore due to tides and wind and how loooong it seemed to take, knowing these folks were suffering and had maybe already drowned (they were so far out, I couldn't see them the entire time I was wading back).

What a weird way to end our relaxing family vacation at the beach...

I have some other crazy interesting and different stuff from a long time ago but I'm not sure if the statute of limitations has expired yet...

Last edited:
Started dating my DH when I was 15.

You've got a year on us; we started at 16, been together since. Got married on an anniversary of the night we met.

What a strange trip it's been, and not nearly long enough. ;)

Rescued a toddler who wandered onto a busy roadway while his daddy was distracted with painting shutters. Took awhile for my heart to beat at a slower pace after that one. Somewhere out there there's a now young adult hopefully living a happy life with an interesting story to tell....that is if daddy ever shared it with him.

Climbed into the steeple of my church just to see the view. (It wasn't easy to get up there!)

Raced around the church with the custodian on hover-round scooters. Fortunately the pastor hadn't arrived yet that morning.

Spent ten hot, exhausting days in Haiti (pre-earthquake), but was able to do a lot of good.

Spent ten days in Guatemala. Met the presidents wife. Took children from families who live in the city landfill on an outing to a children's museum.

Spent ten days in Honduras helping build a church and helping locals.

Tent camped with my daughter in bear, wolf, Coyote country.

Hiked to the top of a mountain.

Now that I am one day into retirement, I can't wait for more adventures!

Turned out better than if they were HIS wife's panty hose.......:rolleyes:

Twenty-nine years of police work. I shoulda kept notes. The book would be interesting.

Over 4 million air miles with one airline. Five circumnavigations per year for 8 years in a row...some clockwise, some anti-clockwise (to prevent dizziness!)

Highlight: A few round trips on the Concorde.

Threw 3 no hitters in one season in Little League, all outs where Ks.

Skinny dipped in the Bering sea, many times.

Took a three day ride in a dugout boat (had an outboard on it) from Mopti on Niger River to Timbuctou, in 2004. Now very off limits to westerners. Camped under unbelievably starry skies!

My first zip line was in Costa Rica and was over 1/2 mile long and about 600' high.

Also, climbed a mountain in the Canadian Rockies.

scan0179.jpg

Played in a band at the Hollywood Bowl twice.

Played in the NCAA Final Four. Water polo, not b-ball.

Paddled out in triple overhead surf on Savaii the day after a hurricane, took 2 waves and made them both. Amazing how something so intense can focus your attention.

"Met" quite a few musicians and other celebrities, as in spent a few minutes in a recording booth with them, recording brief segments for shows. Sometimes we chatted, other times they did their stuff and left. People like:

James Brown, Rick James, Leonard Nimoy, Bjork, Tony Bennett, Robert Smith (The Cure), Tricky, Henry Rollins, Adam Ant, Moby, Boy George, Seal, George Clinton, George Martin, Horace Silver (jazz pianist), Jamiroquai, Jerry Casale (from Devo), John Rotten, John Taylor, Kato Kaelin(!), Malcolm McLaren, MC Hammer, Moon Unit Zappa, Mos Def, Neneh Charry, Ravi Coltrane, Ray Manzarek (The Doors), Richard Branson, Robin Williams.

Also got to interview a few, including John Taylor from Duran Duran and Moby - both in front of live audiences.

Got to introduce Hilary Clinton and Emmy Lou Harris on stage (at separate events).

Have had brief encounters, as in stood in close proximity to and/or exchanged words with/got autographs from, many other celebrities/actors/musicians, including Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, J Lo, Patrick Stewart, Dustin Hoffman, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Jimmy Page, Brian Warner and Twiggy from Marilyn Manson, Bono and Adam Clayton from U2, Donovan, Mary J Blige, Mariah Carey, Quentin Tarantino, Donny Osmond etc etc. I have probably forgotten more than I can remember. It was a fun part of working in Hollywood. We'd exchange "guess who I just saw/spoke to" tidbits at work on an everyday basis. It was fun.

I remember the time I was doing voice-overs in a studio in Hollywood. I was in the VO booth and the engineer for the session told me (over the talk-back line) that Richard Simmons was in the front lobby. Apparently he was running around hugging everybody. We weren't sure whether to venture out or not!

George Clinton and John Taylor recorded messages for my answering machine and I wish I could find them now.

Last edited:
When I was about 10 years old, I won a pony in a contest. A real, live pony :D Every little girl's dream, no?

When I was about 10 years old, I won a pony in a contest. A real, live pony :D Every little girl's dream, no?
Holy cow - winning a pony is a HUGE thing for a young girl. I bet you were so excited! Did you keep it?

Nothing interesting or eventful to report in my life. Lots of 'almost happened" stuff. :) Now, if the thread were about dumb stuff I've done, or embarrassing moments, I'd have lots to talk about, and even if I didn't, family members would jump in with all the details. :D

Holy cow - winning a pony is a HUGE thing for a young girl. I bet you were so excited! Did you keep it?

Yes, amazingly, I did get to keep the pony for a while. My parents were really "city folk", and knew nothing about horses or livestock. But we found a little farm a few miles from home that was willing to board the pony for a reasonable fee, and I kept the pony for probably a year or two before I outgrew her. I had to pay for most of what the pony needed, so I ended up picking up a lot of babysitting jobs, did some lawnmowing, and other odd jobs that a kid can do. I think on the scale of things, it probably wasn't as expensive then as it would be now.

It really was probably the highlight of my childhood, and sometimes even now people don't believe my story.

I went into work early one morning.

Back
Top Bottom