What is the overall bias of your news sources?

What is the overall bias of your news sources

• Left

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Lean left

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • Center

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Lean right

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Right

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I try not to read any news nowadays

Votes: 14 12.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lsbcal

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was wondering about political bias nowadays and my actual news source biases. Then I took a look at this link on Media Bias Ratings: https://www.allsides.com/media-bias/media-bias-ratings

It told me what others think of the various news sources biases. And I could vote on what I thought of those sources too.

This poll is NOT about your political thoughts. Rather it is about what you tend to read. PLEASE, let's not get into political discussions and so we can keep the poll going. Thanks!

Example: Say someone reads The Wall Street Journal News (not editorical) and Bloomberg. These are both rated CENTER and if you agreed with those ratings you'd select CENTER in the poll. Maybe you disagreed with the AllSides rating and thought they LEAN RIGHT. Note this is not about the opinion or editorial sections of those sources. So then you'd put LEAN RIGHT for your news sources.

Last edited:
Here is a graphic from that link showing some of the more popular news sources and the ratings given by people voting on the site:

Capture.jpg

BTW, I tend to agree with these ratings but not exactly all of them.

I try to stick with news sources that reinforce my biases and areas of ignorance.

The words news and bias are an oxymoron.

At least that's what I remember hearing, once upon a time :popcorn:.

***For those who wish to participate in this discussion, please avoid disparaing others choices, whether or not they are already mentioned in this thread***

I purposely seek out a few sources from across the larger part of the curve. I follow journalists from the most of the columns.

The point for me isn't to find a source that provides me with confirmation bias, but that makes me want to seek out more to find out other sides of the story.

The point for me isn't to find a source that provides me with confirmation bias, but that makes me want to seek out more to find out other sides of the story.

I agree. I'm trying to broaden my news sources. But I want to stay away from highly biased reporting which tends to just upset me. I read very few opinion pieces nowadays.

I have a love/hate relationship for the news. I long for reporting of *facts* and not opinions but this is very difficult to find. It seems like no matter the source, it will be skewed in one direction or another...rarely will it tell me the "whole story."

I think this is somewhat due to the conglomerate ownership of the news sources and the severe reduction in editorial staff. Thankfully, for the the areas that I am *extremely* interested in, I will seek out information from those that are actually "in the know" which is usually not a reporter or news source.

I'm pretty sure that guy did an AMA(ask me anything) on Reddit post bombing.

I read that everyone assumed he was an intern but instead is a student who attended the hearing as he wanted to witness history. Also have read that a gofund me page was set up for him to buy him more pizza :).

Back to the original topic, I look for news that isn't too biased. I don't like programs that perform in gotcha interviews or screaming matches where folks try to talk over one another.

I struggle finding unbiased news is also entertaining to read. The new home page I read, seems a mix of news a clickbait that I find is a bit exhausting to read :(. I'd read an article, then at times ask myself, how is that really newsworthy? Good thing I'm retired so have to time to waste :cool:.

Of course my news sources are all unbiased and totally objective.

I'd agree with the majority of the chart. It's not too difficult to see most bias.

My biggest problem with today's news reporting is quality vs. quantity. There's plenty of stuff.

I get all my news from reliable sources. Unless, I choose not to believe/agree with it, then I find the source that agrees with me.

My ROMEO group I visit with each morning discusses the news, BUT ONE RULE IS THAT POLITICS AND RELIGION ARE NOT DISCUSSED, PERIOD.:)

When away from the group, I do not watch televised or internet news.

All of my life I have been a "news junkie", but in recent years I have gotten fed up with the bias and lack of genuine, responsible investigative journalism.

So, to be completely honest I don't read many news sources any more. This has been awful because I always envisioned retirement, as a time when I would FINALLY have the time to subscribe to and read the paper every day over coffee, something I loved to do but never had the time for when I was working. Great daydream but unfortunately we don't even have a daily newspaper here any more, and as for other news sources, no matter which political leanings they have I feel like most of the news is just clickbait or attempts at getting one's attention anyway, not actual unbiased reporting of news.

Somehow all the big stories do filter down to me anyway, since I am on the internet a lot. But I don't seek them out. I do listen to some opinionated podcasts on political topics, but take what they say with a grain of salt too.

I voted that I don't read the news.

I voted based on the news sources I occasionally check, but I could just as easily have voted "I try not to read any news nowadays". I have been on a self-imposed news diet for several years now. When I do decide to quickly catch up on the latest news, I do my best to pick sources that are as apolitical as possible. My philosophy is that news reporting should strive to be as objective and fact-based as possible, and sadly this is somewhat of a rarity these days.

At the gym the TV's have 2 cable news channels on that will often be reporting completely conflicting stories about the same subject. I find it easy to disbelieve both.
Not a new phenomenon, but most news sources seem to exist to push a specific owner benefiting point of view.
A friend gave up news after a health scare. She's never been happier. Probably not the best way for the world to run, but I'm thinking ignoring the media for a month or two might help us all.

I didn't answer the poll because I intentionally get news from multiple perspectives. I listen to NPR and read the local paper every day. We get both the WSJ (paper) and NYT (digital) which I read selectively. Don't watch much news TV at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom