What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i forgot about a huge one...until i turned on the TV Thanksgiving morning. i only encounter this particular pet peeve once a year on Thanksgiving Morning.

<rant on>
I USED to enjoy the Macy's Parade but for the last umpteen years CBS and NBC have ruined it. waaay too many traditional commercials but they frequently interrupt the parade to "showcase" mainly no-talent, never to be seen or heard from again "singers" who lipsync (badly) to their latest "song" on the viewing public. the parade has become nothing more than a not-do-thinly-disguised commercial instead of what it should be, a holiday tradition and celebration. Hallmark used to broadcast the parade commercial free without the "entertainment" but it seems not this year.

<rant off>

Last edited:
Cable company tech support. She was nice and really tried to help, but wasn't trained up to really help me.

I traded in my remote since the old one had worn out (the mute button, mainly). I got the replacement all programmed for my TV, STB, and receiver except the power button wouldn't control all three devices simultaneously. The old one did, so I'm sure it's possible.

She kept reading a script to me and I felt like she was trying to help grandma (no offense!) who had no clue. I told her multiple times that the codes were input correctly and if I chose each device individually from the remote it worked fine. She kept stepping me through setting it up for each device again, constantly confusing the manufacturers of each device which didn't help. Finally she transferred me to "tier 2" service, which eventually stepped me through the procedure I had actually already found on the intertubes to program multiple devices to the power button, which didn't work [again].

They're sending somebody out to the house tomorrow, although I offered to drop by their office and trade it for another remote.

Whatever!

People who talk and talk and talk, and then just when you've about dozed off say, oh, what is it I was talking about? Free pass on this for oldsters, but for mid and younger...

If you can't even stay interested in your own conversation, why expect that of others!

FedEx. They claim to have made a delivery at my home on Nov 7th. I'm home waiting for the delivery all day. As soon as I received the text that it's delivered I check all around the house & garage. I check the neighbors house. Nothing. So I email the company I bought from and call FedEx. Both the company that I bought from and FedEx kept repeating, "we delivered to the address that you provided". The company tells me that they will file an inquiry with FedEx. I wait a week and don't hear anything so I call the company. They repeat the same thing that FedEx says they delivered it to my house BUT this time, and this time only they will ship me a replacement at no charge. I ask them to use a different shipper but they only use FedEx. I stay home another day when it's supposed to be delivered. Get a text that it's just been delivered but it's not. I'm the last house on a dead end street and I've been outside with my neighbors decorating. I email the company to tell them that I was outside when it was supposedly delivered and that no truck came down the street. I also call FedEx and talk to several people who keep telling me that it was delivered and that "porch pirates" must have taken it. One of the people at FedEx must have done something because 2 hours later a FedEx truck came down the street with both shipments. He doesn't know anything other than he was told to get them delivered that night. I called the company I bought from and left a voicemail saying that both shipment were just delivered and that I would pay for both. Next day I get a email from the company I bought from that they are sorry that I didn't get the second shipment, there was nothing they could do, they wouldn't ship again and I owed them for the first shipment because FedEx said that they delivered. I sent them a reply to check voicemail. I've heard nothing. I was going to pay for both shipments since I did finally receive them. I just paid my credit card bill and they never invoiced me for the second shipment. They made me feel like I was trying to dupe them. I'm not calling/emailing again or going to attempt to pay for the second shipment...now I feel like a stole something.

I'm so done with Wells Fargo. (Sorry for the long post).

We have made a last minute decision to buy new washer and dryer for the winter condo as the ones that were there when we bought the condo are old and noisy, especially the washer... I think the bearing is going. We found a pair of LGs that are well rated and on sale through 12/5.

Anyway, now that our Citi Double Cash card no longer includes extended warranty benefits, I'm searching to see if any of our two other credit cards do include warranty benefits. Call one and they don't offer it. Call Wells Fargo.... while our current card doesn't offer extended warranty protection, they have another similar no fee rewards card that does so I explain that the sale ends tomorrow and the rep says that they can do a product switch that just transfers my account to this other card and I could use the existing card for the purchase. I reply... perfect! and they switch me to another person.

Now the fun begins. We start the verification process and since this is a joint account with DW they need to speak to her too.... she is on the phone with DSIL in the other room so I interupt her to get this done. Then they say that they don't have a birthdate for her and that mine is wrong. They allow me to update mine on the phone but for hers thay can't update it until we send in documentation (a driver's license or birth certificate). After querying why this is really needed since we already have a credit card with them I ask to speak to a supervisor.

I explain the whole thing to the supervisor... that we have had the account for 10 years. I suggest that either they didn't require her birthday when we first got it or we provided it and they have lost it. Also, if I were applying for that card online we would just type in her birthdate and they would gleefully accept it with no doumentation but that to require documentation to update it doesn't make sense at all. I'll give the supervisor credit... she seemed to understand the ridiculousness of what they were requiring and put me on hold and called back to the product switch department to see why they needed documentation. But she didn't get any further than I did.

Then I asked if we could update the birthday and then provide the documentation... and if they don't get it in 10 days they can just suspend the account until they get it or cancel the account. No go there either.

Finally, I'm done and don't care so I say something alongs the lines of a few short years ago Wells Fargo was setting up accounts without customer permission at all and now if I just want to move from one credit card to another they are putting us through the ringer? Ridiculous.

I'll keep the card because it is no fee and since Mom has her checking account with Wells and I am a joint owner it is convenient for me to just use that card when buying supplies for my Mom's place or rental property and then I pay for it by transfering the amount from her checking to cover the charge.

The last supervisor I spoke with said that Customer Care would giving me a call but I suspect that they will not be empowered to break the log jam... so I'm done.

Last edited:
Dell: (Truncated version) - looking for a monitor on the weekend. Went on the Dell site, found one 'on sale until such & such date'.

Order rejected...DW (our computer person)...had an 'online chat' with a Dell rep who said that the price for this particular model had already gone up. DW sends screen shot of their ad, speaks to purported 'supervisor' - gets nowhere.

Finally they agree to investigate, (they already have or c.c. info from the initial aborted order).....then we get a shipping notification....except that the model they're shipping doesn't have the suffix of the model we want......close to a 50% price difference, (not in our favor), and higher than we could have obtained the one shipped for less.

Bottom line - told them to stick it, and that we wouldn't deal with Dell again.

(Should have known better, previous transaction we had with them about 11 years ago, was a total screw up...on their part.)

I'm so done with Wells Fargo.

+1

I am retiring from big finance (including some time at WF) in a few weeks and although I earned a nice living, I will not in any manner miss the bureaucracy, arrogance and pig-headedness I have dealt with for nearly 40 years. Good riddance.

Christmas decorations. One house in our neighborhood, wayyyy overboard. They must have hired someone to design and put up. All the other houses a few lights, a wreath or something cute but minimal. I ordered some battery operated lights from Amazon. I'll put them up, let them blink. Why must I feel obligated to partake in decorating? I'd rather spend the $$ on giving to the local food bank. But no one would see that.

The drive through coffee place adding cream to my coffee. My order is very simple: one small coffee with two sugars. No latte, mocha, double dip whatever. Just small coffee with two sugars. 7 times out of ten, they also add cream. The first time it happened I didn't notice until I was back in traffic and decided to drink it anyway. My stomach just doesn't like dairy products, so by the time I was at the office I was on a mission to find a meeting space for one :) I understand it's cheap coffee and a convenient location on the drive to work, but having to check everyday is a pain. Happened an hour ago so it's fresh on my mind.

Christmas decorations. One house in our neighborhood, wayyyy overboard. They must have hired someone to design and put up. All the other houses a few lights, a wreath or something cute but minimal. I ordered some battery operated lights from Amazon. I'll put them up, let them blink. Why must I feel obligated to partake in decorating? I'd rather spend the $$ on giving to the local food bank. But no one would see that.
A local resident/personality and restauranteur (now deceased) who lived near us, Al Copeland, had such a huge display of Christmas lights at his home that after he died the display was moved to a local park for all to enjoy. And, his neighbors breathed a sigh of relief due to the lessening of traffic on their block.

Now, when we see a house that is decorated way overboard we just sneer and say to each other, "oh look, another Al Copeland wannabe!" :ROFLMAO:

We don't put up any lights at all.

I'm so done with Wells Fargo. (Sorry for the long post).

+1

My daughter has her checking account with Wells Fargo. It's all messed up. She tried to use the their online banking and bill payment system but nobody at the branch could help her get it working.

Dell: (Truncated version) - looking for a monitor on the weekend. Went on the Dell site, found one 'on sale until such & such date'.

Order rejected...DW (our computer person)...had an 'online chat' with a Dell rep who said that the price for this particular model had already gone up. DW sends screen shot of their ad, speaks to purported 'supervisor' - gets nowhere.

Finally they agree to investigate, (they already have or c.c. info from the initial aborted order).....then we get a shipping notification....except that the model they're shipping doesn't have the suffix of the model we want......close to a 50% price difference, (not in our favor), and higher than we could have obtained the one shipped for less.

Bottom line - told them to stick it, and that we wouldn't deal with Dell again.

(Should have known better, previous transaction we had with them about 11 years ago, was a total screw up...on their part.)

We've dealt with Dell for years without issue, but I would have been fuming at the above scenario myself. BTW, if you still need a new monitor, I scored a great deal on a 27" Dell monitor at Best Buy for $109.99 this past Sunday. A check of their website shows the price is still good. I know it's a great price, because I bought new 27" monitors for our kids over the last couple of Christmases. I paid just under $180 both times. I was going to buy the same Acer monitor for myself that I bought for our daughter last Christmas. It was $163 at Amazon, but when I saw the Dell deal...It's not an outdated model either. The manufacturing date on mine is Sept. 2019.

I'm so done with Wells Fargo. (Sorry for the long post).....

FWIW, after my frustration with Wells Fargo I called and applied for a Citi Costco card that includes extended warranty coverage that I will use for the purchase... online didn't work so I had to call... I provided them with both mine and DW's birthdates verbally and no documentation was required... though in the disclosures they said that they might ask for documentation... we were approved.

We'll get the card in a week or so but since the charge doesn't occur until after delivery we'll use an existing card to make the order and then use the new card with extended warranty benefits when the appliances are delivered and installed.

Dell is funny...

My last order of about a month ago consisted of a refurb Optiplex 9020 (desktop) with the following specs:

Intel i7 multicore processor,
16 GB DDR RAM
1 TB HDD
Video card with 2 GB RAM
Optical drive
KB/Mouse
Win 7 Pro ( I wanted that vs Win 10)

Ordered online, price was 50% off (discounted price inc shipping was $275), shipped from Tennessee, and delivered in two days.

Absolutely perfect.;)

Now today, I have a message from Amazon for an order I placed last Thursday (Prime) and it has been to the Houston distribution center and "out for delivery" four separate times.....:facepalm:

We've dealt with Dell for years without issue, but I would have been fuming at the above scenario myself.

The monitor we attempted to order this time around was Dell #S2719HS, usually $399.99 Canadian (in the region of $295 US), on sale for $269.99 Canadian (approx $205 US)....they tried to substitute what appeared to be a lower priced model, (IIRC the S2719H), with a $25 Canadian 'discount'.

We cancelled......(and this was after a to & fro where, despite being given a screen shot of the advertised price & date from their own site, they insisted that the sale price on the S2719HS had expired).

Our previous entanglement started when DW spoke to a 'sales rep' on the 'Business side' and asked for a desktop tower that could handle two VGA monitors simultaneously......the 'rep' asked "Why we'd want two monitors when they'd both display the same thing".......off to a good start obviously.

A number of calls later we were assured that the model we ordered would allow us to connect our two existing, (and almost new), VGA monitors......of course it didn't.

Then we were told they'd swap our supposedly incompatible monitors for two that would work - OK, we figured we'd give that a try.......until they shipped us two used junkers of indeterminate age.

Bottom line, Dell had to send out a tech from about 40 miles away to install an adaptor at no charge to us.

I was done with them after that, but DW likes their products, (it's just the sales & support people who are bait & switchers), so we tried again.

Finita la musica

Oh...we're not in desperate need of another monitor, it's just that the one we intended to buy, at the price advertised, was a good deal for us.

I decided to pay my estimated tax early but ran into this problem as per Form 1040-ES:

No checks of $100 million or more accepted. The IRS can’t accept a single check (including a cashier’s check) for amounts of $100,000,000 ($100 million) or more.

Now they can wait for the deadline date.

Piling on to the Amazon delivery problems. I ordered a bunch of stuff this past week and thinking I was doing the right thing, I selected the "ship everything on a particular day" option. That day was Thursday (tomorrow). I follow my orders and most were scheduled to arrive on Thursday. Then today, they all switched to Friday. What was the point? If I had wanted them on Friday, I would have selected Friday. I'm going back to the quickest delivery date per my Prime membership. I'm sure I would have had most of what I ordered by now even if they wouldn't have made their one day commitment.

And Then!, I sent them an e-mail to complain and they responded that they couldn't help me through e-mail. In the e-mail they gave me a link to have them call me. So, I click the link, enter my phone number and my phone rings. Then I get to listen to a message that this number is no longer in service. What a joke.

My pet peeve of the day:

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A CURE FOR THE COMMON COLD, OR AT LEAST A VACCINE FOR IT?

We can fly to the moon, but we still can be sick as a dog with a cold and/or sniffles.

A few days ago I got my first cold in probably a decade and hate it. Not only that, but I gave it to my dear Frank who is miserable with it too. Luckily we are retired so neither of us has to work a 40 hour week with a cold, which is an even worse experience as we all know. But last night I slept almost 11 hours and when I awakened, I still had a cold.

I guess we should be glad that it's not the flu; from what I read, this has been a really rugged flu season here in Louisiana.

The drive through coffee place adding cream to my coffee. My order is very simple: one small coffee with two sugars. No latte, mocha, double dip whatever. Just small coffee with two sugars. 7 times out of ten, they also add cream. The first time it happened I didn't notice until I was back in traffic and decided to drink it anyway. My stomach just doesn't like dairy products, so by the time I was at the office I was on a mission to find a meeting space for one :) I understand it's cheap coffee and a convenient location on the drive to work, but having to check everyday is a pain. Happened an hour ago so it's fresh on my mind.

A couple weeks ago I went through Dunkin Doughnuts drive through for coffee and a multi grain bagel . When I looked in the bag it was two chocolate doughnuts.I hate doughnuts so back to the drive through to get the right order .

People pronouncing words that start with S as Sh. Like shtraight or shtreet. Drives me nuts and now I hear reporters doing it.

Triaxle coal trucks driven by maniacs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom