What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who put on their turn signal as they are making a turn, while I 'm sitting at the intersection waiting to make a right turn (with my signal on). 3 in a row today. I couldn't pull out if they were going straight, but none of them were.

Went to see Chicago in concert. Awesome show with a ridiculous number of hits. But I found myself really irritated by the number of people sitting around me who sang along to almost everything. And not quietly, but with full throated accompaniment. Halfway through the show I wanted to scream "I didn't come to hear you sing!" My mature and understanding inner voice said "its ok, they are all just enjoying themselves." But the curmudgeon in me was not happy.

Went to see Chicago in concert. Awesome show with a ridiculous number of hits. But I found myself really irritated by the number of people sitting around me who sang along to almost everything. And not quietly, but with full throated accompaniment. Halfway through the show I wanted to scream "I didn't come to hear you sing!" My mature and understanding inner voice said "its ok, they are all just enjoying themselves." But the curmudgeon in me was not happy.

In a similar vein, I don't know what happens in the states but down here there is a common habit, often encouraged by the bands themselves, of exhorting the audience to get up and sing along as the concert draws to a close.

Meaning whether you want to or not, you are forced to join the crowd on their feet. At my age I've paid substantial sums for tickets for the band to entertain me, not the other way around........curmudgeoness goes along with aging I guess :(

A local resident/personality and restauranteur (now deceased) who lived near us, Al Copeland, had such a huge display of Christmas lights at his home that after he died the display was moved to a local park for all to enjoy. And, his neighbors breathed a sigh of relief due to the lessening of traffic on their block.

Now, when we see a house that is decorated way overboard we just sneer and say to each other, "oh look, another Al Copeland wannabe!" :ROFLMAO:

We don't put up any lights at all.

+1
We turn on our front porch light. :D

Folks who turn around in our driveway. Use the street and the end of the driveway if needed, but no reason to pull all the way in and back up! Our dog starts barking, thinking someone is coming to visit.
Finally got an orange traffic cone and put it in the front. It works!

Christmas decorations. One house in our neighborhood, wayyyy overboard. They must have hired someone to design and put up. All the other houses a few lights, a wreath or something cute but minimal. I ordered some battery operated lights from Amazon. I'll put them up, let them blink. Why must I feel obligated to partake in decorating? I'd rather spend the $$ on giving to the local food bank. But no one would see that.
Sent stupid battery lights back to Amazon for a refund. They were all tangled up and a PITA. Put wreath on door. Done.

Have to add to pet peeve, those blow up snow men, snoopy dogs with santa hats and giant air filled holiday whatevers. The sad part, the house these things are in front of is a really nice all brick 2 story. Manicured lawn.

razztazz said:
That's all I do but starting the day after Thanksgiving I switch to a red bulb

A few years ago I got one of the projection devices that projects rotating colors on the front of my home. $5 in the close-out Christmas ornaments bin. That and a string of lights on the bush near my front door (they replaces the front porch light for the duration of the Christmas season) are my decorating.

Whatever glimpse of my indoor Christmas tree that people can see from the street also counts, right?

People who spit on walkways. On the steps up to the front door of my gym, there's nearly always at least one loogie where people get a chance to step in it and track it in to the locker room or onto exercise mats. Gross!!! If they must spit, why can't they hock it off to the side in the landscaping, sheesh!

A few years ago I got one of the projection devices that projects rotating colors on the front of my home. $5 in the close-out Christmas ornaments bin.

How did that work out? They were advertising them do death for maybe 2 or 3 years I was thinking of getting one this year but have seen exactly ZERO ads for them. I guess they didn't catch on? I have never seen an actual house using one.

I walk in a park near my home where many folks walk their dogs. It annoys me that some people refuse to pick up their dog's poop deposited on the trail. The city even supplies poop bags for people to use but some can't be bothered.

How did that work out? They were advertising them do death for maybe 2 or 3 years I was thinking of getting one this year but have seen exactly ZERO ads for them. I guess they didn't catch on? I have never seen an actual house using one.

My neighbors 2 doors down in our pretty little SoCal suburban culdesac have the light wheel spinning lights across the front of their large 2-story.

Next door to them is a giant lit-up inflated soldier bear and roofline lights on another large 2-story.

And next door to them will be my array of lighted lawn decor, including a Snoopy in a Santa hat, in front of our more modest single story home. :D

SoCal. Maybe it’s the Disney influence?

I walk in a park near my home where many folks walk their dogs. It annoys me that some people refuse to pick up their dog's poop deposited on the trail. The city even supplies poop bags for people to use but some can't be bothered.

We sometimes find poop on our front lawn. DW wants to find out who is doing it.

When I was in Tokyo, I saw dog owners carrying water bottles. Evidently, in addition to picking up their dog's poop, they pour water over their dog's pee to dilute/disperse the smell. I don't think there's such a law, but more like "Let's do this so the nearby residents won't have to smell the pee..." Houses over there are close together, usually with no front lawn, so it makes sense, but I think it's nice that they care enough to do that.

Even though I'm a dog owner, I'm convinced that a lot of people just own dogs as surrogate aggressors. Why commit antisocial acts in person when the dog can do it for you and you still get the guilty pleasure? ;)

I remember the days when nobody picked up their dog's poop. It seems strange to me to see people do it now.

razztazz said:

Mine is small one with a diamond pattern globe about 4 inches in diameter that rotates. I stick it into a flower pot filled with dirt and put it a few feet from the front of my place. It fills the entire front door area and then some with colored lights that move. Some light seeps inside and I have my own version of the Aurora Borealis on my ceiling. :)

I remember the days when nobody picked up their dog's poop. It seems strange to me to see people do it now.
I remember those days, too. It was so great to get in a car or a few steps into the house and then smell that smell.........

Video news presented without transcripts. I hate videos presented instead of written news articles unless there is a particular reason for the video, e.g. the New Zealand volcano eruption. I can bomb through an article at lightning speed, and without the annoyance of music, credits, or artsy photographs. What would take less than a minute to read takes 5 minutes of video presentation. Just today I was going to read an article on the failures of plastic recycling. Found out it was only a video, but I played it (and missed some because I wandered away thinking I could listen to it). It took 5 minutes to present 3 facts: very little plastic is actually recycled; manufacturers sought out this resolution (that local governments collect recycling) as a marketing ploy; and also they sought it because it gets them off the hook of spending money to reduce their plastic content.

At least provide a transcript so I can ignore the video!

Fidelity 2FA does not have email as an option to receive one-time code. I can't figure that out. It says to contact a rep but the only way to do that is by calling by phone. If you don't have your phone to get a text message, how are you supposed to call them? Every other online service I know of has an option to use email.

It used to be biodegradable and then they changed the formula.

Deer, bear, rabbits, etc do the same thing in the woods... gross.

Fidelity 2FA does not have email as an option to receive one-time code. I can't figure that out. It says to contact a rep but the only way to do that is by calling by phone. If you don't have your phone to get a text message, how are you supposed to call them? Every other online service I know of has an option to use email.

2FA by text or phone, while better than no 2FA, is not very secure, because your phone number is not very secure. It's best to us an autheticator app or a device like a Yubikey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom