What keeps a thread alive?

I just noticed another thing that can keep a thread alive...

The recent "Newsletter" emails.

I've seen a few threads suddenly re-emerge after the email went out. So, mdlerth, don't be surprised to see this thread calm down and resurface if it gets chosen for the newsletter.

Wasn't your thread about how you could get your post count up to get more stars? :LOL: (or was that thread by someone else?)
That was mine, but my very first post, look at that one. :) It was kind of a rant about spending.

Running the test

The Tesla thread has over 2300 posts and is frequented by only a few remaining posters. Test your theory of being a thread killer and lob a post into the Tesla thread! :D

If you don't know much about the Tesla stock or the car, just make a fictitious claim about battery life and see if that kills it (or recharges ERD50 into action)!

Done! Post 2361. We'll see how much longer it goes. :)

Maybe you have to say something really shocking to keep the thread alive. Something like "you are all so wrong about this. Here is why ...." :)

If you look like this you are a threadkiller:

Capture.jpg

How many retirees does it take to change a light bulb? Just one but it will take ‘em most of the day.

I think if you suffix it with the year it helps.

How many retirees does it take to change a light bulb? Just one but it will take ‘em most of the day.
That’s only if they ever stop talking about the best way to do it ...

I've notice the kind of thread where I make the last comment.

This thread is in that category: Last post yesterday evening, question answered, a few quick lighthearted posts, then silence.

So I'm taking a considerable risk posting here, because being the last one to post on a thread killer post must have some significance? Yes?

See what I did there? I asked a question. But that's not the easiest way to get more posts. By far, the easiest way to keep a thread going here is to make a statement of fact (or something that looks like a statement of fact).

This will be the last post in this thread (see what I did there?)

Attachments

• dutycalls.jpg
    dutycalls.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 75
Perhaps we should have contest to see who gets the most thread killer posts?

Don't feel too bad, Mdlerth. The initial "Hello, I am..." post I made back in 2005 garnered two responses (neither of which were welcoming), and the subsequent re-introduction post I made (because I post so infrequently) in 2014 garnered a total of zero responses.

I guess it was something I said. LOL!

Some thread titles just stand out. Even if you post, subscribe, read, unsubscribe, there is something about the wording of a title that may draw you back in.
Perhaps it is as simple as having a shorter title, like "What keeps a thread alive?"

Perhaps it is as simple as having a shorter title, like "What keeps a thread alive?"

A perpetual thread will simply be titled "What". ;)

This is a titled post. I call it "Viscount"

Some thread titles just stand out. Even if you post, subscribe, read, unsubscribe, there is something about the wording of a title that may draw you back in.

A perpetual thread will simply be titled "What". ;)

In addition to the thread title, one can add a title to each post as well. I do it often, but I'm in the minority. Does anybody bother with these, or do they just dive straight into the text because that's where the meat of the commentary is?

Don't feel too bad, Mdlerth. The initial "Hello, I am..." post I made back in 2005 garnered two responses (neither of which were welcoming), and the subsequent re-introduction post I made (because I post so infrequently) in 2014 garnered a total of zero responses.

I guess it was something I said. LOL!

Welcome Vincenzo :) :greetings10: There, I've done my greetings a bit late.

I never visit the "Hi I am ..." forum site which I imagine is what you are mentioning here. Oh well, this is the internet. Shouldn't have too high expectations for it. I keep reminding myself this when I get the occasional snarky responses.

Wow, there are really titles for posts? :)

In addition to the thread title, one can add a title to each post as well. I do it often, but I'm in the minority. Does anybody bother with these, or do they just dive straight into the text because that's where the meat of the commentary is?

I sometimes find the best response is a very short one. Never read those post titles although I did see yours and wondered what you were talking about. :)

Sometimes I think people don't read the responses here much as they are too excited to give their responses. :rolleyes: :LOL:

Any topic for which the answer is either not clear or depends on one's perspective is going to go on awhile. For example, Feels Good vs Math in the mortgage payoff question, and Faith vs Science in any religious debate.

Sometimes I think people don't read the responses here much as they are too excited to give their responses. [emoji57] [emoji23]

That’s funny. Like the kid in grade school class who would almost launch themselves out of their seat, hand raised and pumping, saying, “oooh! oooh! I know! I know!”, while the teacher was determined to look elsewhere.

That’s funny. Like the kid in grade school class who would almost launch themselves out of their seat, hand raised and pumping, saying, “oooh! oooh! I know! I know!”, while the teacher was determined to look elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom