What kinds of cheese actually need refrigeration?

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
Cheese is almost always sold from the chiller, but what types don't really need to be kept cold? I presume the wax covered types, but what else that's either sealed in plastic or wrapped in wax/plastic paper?

Per the USDA:

Soft cheeses such as cream cheese, cottage cheese, shredded cheeses, and goat cheese must be refrigerated for safety. As a general rule, hard cheeses such as cheddar, processed cheeses (American), and both block and grated Parmesan do not require refrigeration for safety, but they will last longer if kept refrigerated.

REFRIGERATOR: Approximate storage times are:
(1) Hard cheeses (block): 6 months, unopened packages; 3 to 4 weeks after opening. Shredded hard cheeses: 1 month after opening.
(2) Soft cheeses: 1 week; cream cheese, 2 weeks.
FREEZER. Ricotta, cottage, and cream cheeses do not freeze well. Other cheeses may be frozen for 6 months.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Does-all-cheese-need-to-be-refrigerated

Thank you for this post! I had completely forgotten that some cheeses can be stored w/o refrigeration. Time to add some to my protein shopping list.

What DEFINES soft cheese? Lots of cheese has some sort of rind, which I would think acts to protect the cheese. They might get riper faster if not refrigerated -- except that in the USA they have been pasteurized, so they won't...?

I tested a waxed wrapped Laughing Cow cheese for backpacking by leaving it on my desk at work for 2 weeks. It was delicious. I've been vegan for 8 years now but every once in a great while I will have a Laughing Cow, it's like crack to me.

I've taken the little babybell wax coated cheeses backpacking before. Worked like a charm, never had any that went bad after 5 days or so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom