What OLD series/movies are you watching? *Spoilers welcome!*

We have been binge watching Monk. I am enjoying at as much as the first time around. Without giving anything away, I remember being really impressed with the way the series was wrapped up.

It is outstanding. I recently watched a few. And the theme song is beyond iconic, definitely in the top 10 recognizable themes in TV history, especially now that it lives in re-arranged form in the movies.
Just continuing the thought. Peter Lupus in Mission Impossible was if I recall presented as having a background in athletics possibly as a power lifter. Later, he appeared as a similar carrier in a spoof role in Police Squad!

Also among the MI cast was Lynda Day George, wife of Christopher George who was The Immortal (mentioned above) as well as being featured on Rat Patrol.

And of course Barbara Bain aka "Cinnamon" in MI was married to MI co-star Martin Landau. Landau played a spot-on Bela Lugosi in the quirky Tim Burton film "Ed Wood" with Johnny Depp, among other castings in a long career

Quite an interesting cast.

I rewatched some "HighWay Patrol" with Broderick Crawford on youtube a while back.

Another one I liked as a kid was "Have Gun, will Travel" with Richard Boone.

Close to my heart. Loved the character Paladin so much I played him as a waiter at a theme restaurant in college.

Well, this thread brings back some memories. Both the old, old shows like Alfred Hitchcock and the new old shows like Northern Exposure. A new old show that I have rewatched some episodes of lately on Comet is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Well, this thread brings back some memories. Both the old, old shows like Alfred Hitchcock and the new old shows like Northern Exposure. A new old show that I have rewatched some episodes of lately on Comet is Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Anyone here familiar with Buck Barry and his after school show where he played Popeye and the Three Stooges?

When I was going through the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episodes I quickly learned to consult the IMDB ratings. If the episode was at least a 7.0 I would watch it, if it didn't make it to 7.0, I would take a pass, unless there was a particular actor/actress in it that caught my attention.

If this is the Dick York episode with the baseball cards, it got a 7.0. I agree that it was only so-so with the twist at the end kind of flaccid.

There's one episode of Hitchcock that had Dick York, where they depicted a future society where they killed off the old people! While not quite "Logan's Run", it was kind of interesting! Although, this "future society" they depicted was supposed to be something like 1980...maybe they should have tried picking a year a bit further off.

Anyone here familiar with Buck Barry and his after school show where he played Popeye and the Three Stooges?

Must have been a regional program. These were common.

Chicago had "The Ray Raynor" program. He basically acted like a kid, did some skits, did quick weather and traffic hits for the parents, and played "Looney Tunes", "Clutch Cargo" and other various shorts.

Yes, I have noticed. Although on the radio show she was also the (part) owner of the Long Branch Saloon.

I seen to recall an episode of the radio program when she buys into the Saloon.
OK, I went down the rabbit hole.
It was episode 218 when Miss Kitty bought half ownership of the Longbranch.
Episode 218;

Found lots of talk about Kitty being a women of ill repute. I recall one episode when the Marshall begged her to go to the dance with him, she was reluctant but finally gave in, the dance end poorly with the high minded women of Dodge degrading Miss. Kitty.

https://gunsmoke.fandom.com/wiki/Miss_Kitty

I think it is pretty neat how much info is available on these 70+ year old radio shows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gunsmoke_(radio_series)_episodes

Last edited:
Here's a dumb trivia question...does anybody know what the "Bewitched" house was originally built for? Sometimes in watching old tv shows that were shot on that backlot (Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, Donna Reed, etc) you can see it in the background. Go back far enough, and it's only the garage that you can see. Originally it was the garage for the Hazel/Gidget house, and it has a covered causeway connecting it to the house. From a distance, the causeway isn't always noticeable, so the garage looks like it's standing in the middle of nowhere.

But, at some point, the Bewitched house was built, and what looked like a family room off to the side of the Hazel house was converted into a garage.

I used to think the house was built specifically for "Bewitched." However, "Bewitched" didn't come out until the 1964-65 season. I've seen that house show up in some 1962 episodes of "Dennis the Menace".

Must have been a regional program. These were common.

Chicago had "The Ray Raynor" program. He basically acted like a kid, did some skits, did quick weather and traffic hits for the parents, and played "Looney Tunes", "Clutch Cargo" and other various shorts.

Dallas had Slam Bang Theatre with Icky Twerp. Just from the name you can imagine.

Here's a dumb trivia question...does anybody know what the "Bewitched" house was originally built for? Sometimes in watching old tv shows that were shot on that backlot (Dennis the Menace, Father Knows Best, Donna Reed, etc) you can see it in the background. Go back far enough, and it's only the garage that you can see. Originally it was the garage for the Hazel/Gidget house, and it has a covered causeway connecting it to the house. From a distance, the causeway isn't always noticeable, so the garage looks like it's standing in the middle of nowhere.

But, at some point, the Bewitched house was built, and what looked like a family room off to the side of the Hazel house was converted into a garage.

I used to think the house was built specifically for "Bewitched." However, "Bewitched" didn't come out until the 1964-65 season. I've seen that house show up in some 1962 episodes of "Dennis the Menace".

It was built for... any purpose. And it has been used as such through the years. In short, Columbia/Screen Gems was tired of renting out other sets so they built a set that included homes, a park (with swimming pool), church, and a downtown area with two or three story structures. Many of these were facade-like, being very thin. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Ranch

There's a lot of info on this since fans are fascinated. Here's a good site, I'll point you to the pictures since they are worth a thousand words: https://www.bewitchedhouse.com/ranch/photos/index.html

Since I've been on an I Dream of Jeannie kick lately, I've read a bit about the competition between it and Bewitched. Turns out a lot of the stories are kind of bogus. Yes, the producers and writers got irritated at the borrowing or stealing of plot lines. But ultimately the Money Men (Screen Gems) didn't care because they both made money. And you can see that at top levels of production, they clearly shared resources. Many actors appear on both, and sets appear on both.

I was watching an S1 episode of IDOJ and the interior of the Bewitched house suddenly appeared when they visited someone. The set decorators changed things a bit, but you could tell.

Found it. It was built in July of 1962 for some tv show called "Our Man Higgns", which only lasted one season.

The Unofficial Columbia Ranch Site

Nice site!

This stuff is fun. It is also interesting that some of the buildings got moved around, and others were torn down and replaced with something else.

Now I know that when Roger Healey stole Jeannie and got filthy rich, he lived in "The Deeds" mansion. That's fitting. :LOL:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post

Yes, I have noticed. Although on the radio show she was also the (part) owner of the Long Branch Saloon.

I seen to recall an episode of the radio program when she buys into the Saloon.
OK, I went down the rabbit hole.
It was episode 218 when Miss Kitty bought half ownership of the Longbranch.
Episode 218;Found lots of talk about Kitty being a women of ill repute.

I am calling her out...Miss Kitty was a whore and a madame.

Quote:

I am calling her out...Miss Kitty was a whore and a madame.

Well! If you are going that far, she wasn't a Madame until after she bought the saloon. June 10th, 1956. :blush: Or, was it 1874?

I watched the whole Emergency series recently. The early episodes are especially interesting as they get into some of the trials and errors from when the paramedic system was first being developed. We take emergency services for granted these days, but years ago if you called an ambulance about all you got was transportation. Like in Adam-12, when someone got shot or otherwise injured, the police just let the victim bleed while discussing the situation until the guys in the white coats came and loaded the victim into the converted station wagon or Suburban.

Murder, She Wrote. Columbo. Kolchak. For something (a bit) newer, LOST.

Not all that old but finally got to see Better call Saul and now mostly through with Breaking bad. Watching an episode daily (or 2/3) and from the prequel really shows you the character development. Is Shockingly well done!

Happily Live in the Past

....Whenever I can which is quite a bit. I feel it inoculates me from a time that I have very little respect or need for and it's only that I have young kids that I actually am concerned with the trajectory of many things. But...just looking at a snapshot from - right now.

My t-shirt today is from The Breakfast Club.

Looking around at my basement home theater, original posters for anything from Back to the Future to Beverly Hills Cop to Shawshank to Top Gun to Return of the Jedi, Rocky, Karate Kid, Ferris Bueller, and many many others adorn the walls.

Just watched a great episode of KnightRider and will do a Rockford Files shortly.

Tonight I'll watch Field of Dreams, it's on my once-a-year list. Other things I watch very regularly:

Growing Pains, Wonder Years, Family Ties, Leave it to Beaver. MASH

Next week, 15 year old DD as she recovers from Spinal Surgery wants to watch all the Star Wars movies in order of release and it will be heavenly.

Hoping to start the Rocky movies after that.

All of the above makes me so happy and content.

And truly gives me quality periods of time where I'm plugged out of modernity.

It's sublime.

Last edited:
I watched a movie Ikiru that I’d noticed on some list of acclaimed films/directors. I couldn’t find it easily but it showed up on TCM and I recorded it.

It’s a Japanese film (subtitled) from the 1950s, black and white. The plot centers on a civil servant who learns he has a terminal illness and how he copes with it. Pretty bleak but also poignant and I thought well worth viewing.

IMDB page on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

Kolchak: The Night Stalker only lasted 20 episodes, but was pretty unique for its time. One of my favorites is "Mannix", which I think ran for 8 seasons. Had to be popular to run that many episodes. And Rockford Files and Hunter are also in my DVD library.

I watched a movie Ikiru that I’d noticed on some list of acclaimed films/directors. I couldn’t find it easily but it showed up on TCM and I recorded it.

It’s a Japanese film (subtitled) from the 1950s, black and white. The plot centers on a civil servant who learns he has a terminal illness and how he copes with it. Pretty bleak but also poignant and I thought well worth viewing.

IMDB page on it:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0044741/

Yes - This is a great movie! Kurosawa is the director.

The British film "Living" that came out in 2022 is a remake and has quite good reviews. I haven't seen it yet, but have the DVD on hold at the library.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom