What percentage of your net worth would you spend to have teeth?

Initial visit to a new dentist in my parts is between $175 and $275! It has been awhile since I have seen a dentist but that did seem high. In fact my last doctors visit was not that much.

My hubby has had problems with his teeth all his adult life. Root canals, fillings, impacted wisdom teeth...you name it. Last year I told him to go get them fixed once and for all...and boy, did he. He had every tooth in his mouth capped except for two molars. The cost... $41,000. Yes, I said $41,000. Our insurance paid a whopping $2k, and part of the expense was tax deductible. To him, it was worth every penny. (He's 53; I hope he gets his money's worth out of them...haha.)

If it´s just a matter of more gas, anesthesia, painkillers....how come so many people have suffered and are consequently afraid of dental work? I´m sure some of these remedies don´t always work or are not possible under circunstances....

My hubby has had problems with his teeth all his adult life. Root canals, fillings, impacted wisdom teeth...you name it. Last year I told him to go get them fixed once and for all...and boy, did he. He had every tooth in his mouth capped except for two molars. The cost... $41,000. Yes, I said $41,000. Our insurance paid a whopping $2k, and part of the expense was tax deductible. To him, it was worth every penny. (He's 53; I hope he gets his money's worth out of them...haha.)

This is exactly what I meant by deferred maintenance. It is just like putting off work on your house--eventually you have to spend the money, and often, because you waited, it is even more expensive (like a leaky roof that you wait to fix and then have to replace insulation, etc).

My DH had about $8k worth of work done on his teeth at 46 that he's deferred since his 20s. I figure that he came out cheap, and from the sound of your story, I guessed right! Yikes!

And MichaelB, I hope to have better-than-average care, and I certainly know what you mean about the small county hospitals that might be just as scary as those in other countries. But here in Charleston, we have our choice of 4 or 5 excellent hospitals, including the highly regarded university hospital.

20 or so years ago, I paid several thousand to fix my SO's teeth.

He didn't have insurance and I simply couldn't let him suffer pain and tooth loss (though he did have the really bad one pulled).

If it's a medically indicated procedure, get the stuff done.

If it´s just a matter of more gas, anesthesia, painkillers....how come so many people have suffered and are consequently afraid of dental work? I´m sure some of these remedies don´t always work or are not possible under circunstances....
The level of pain tolerance can be one factor. But for me, my problem was trust. I had a dentist that hurt me years ago (then acted as if it was no big deal), so I literally didn't go to him or any other dentist for several years....until I lost part of a filling out of a tooth. I had to go then. I was filled with anxiety and the dentist I had chosen picked up on this immediately.

So, I talked to him and spoke of my fears. He listened to me...really listened. I've been with him for 15 years.

I've decided since I am paying for a service, I will speak my mind and if I am dismissed for being "silly"...I'll move on down the road. It's funny; I've had so many medical procedures done on my body, and those I have sailed through. When it comes to my mouth...it's like I'm 3 years old again....

Keeping the choppers

Yeah, I agree on doing only the necessary work on the teeth. Which for me is keeping them all in in my mouth by various methods(caps, an implant, twice a year cleanings and checkups). I don't care if they are particularly white or straight. Just that they are all there in some form or another. I floss and brush at least twice a day and use so-called enamel building toothpaste and a soft brush. A lot of people feel that the Sonic care toothbrushes(or other similar brands) make a big difference in removing plaques. My dentist recommends them but I still prefer a regular toothbrush that I pitch once a month for a new one.

I need me some teef...
Hey, that's my line! LOL

img_826975_0_c8d1d7da920cf2b187f200b95c622892.gif

This is exactly what I meant by deferred maintenance. It is just like putting off work on your house--eventually you have to spend the money, and often, because you waited, it is even more expensive (like a leaky roof that you wait to fix and then have to replace insulation, etc).
Um, no. There was no "deferred maintenance" in this case. My hubby has spent more time (and money) at the dentist in the past 20 years than anyone I know. His family seems to have inherently bad teeth no matter how much upkeep. I on the other hand, have a very bon-vivant attitude about my teeth and have never even had a cavity. :D

30,000 on implants last year.... i couldnt be happier with them

This really seems to be a "no-brainer." I'm definitely in the "getting your teeth fixed camp." And, I'd try to find the most qualified dentist to do the job and not be concerned as per the cost. See mathjak107 (above).

30,000 on implants last year.... i couldnt be happier with them

More info please. Had you been wearing some or all dentures before? Are all your teeth now store bought ones? Are your teeth removable implants or permenant, non-removable? If permanent how onerous is the flossing between posts and does food get under and irritate? Thanks, PM if you wish to be a bit more private, but I'd like to know for my gal who is wearing removables.

the bottoms are 6 implants and a removable bridge.... the bridge can be cemented in but i prefer to be able to remove it for cleaning although initialy it was cemented in with cement that is designed to release about a year later..... no issues , no food caught, they are ever so comfortable,...tops are removable conventional type as implants are not the greatest on the top

the bottoms are 6 implants and a removable bridge.... the bridge can be cemented in but i prefer to be able to remove it for cleaning although initialy it was cemented in with cement that is designed to release about a year later..... no issues , no food caught, they are ever so comfortable,...tops are removable conventional type as implants are not the greatest on the top

So on the bottom you have 6 posts in the jaw and a complete removable set of lower teeth that clips on the posts?

exactly, the clip on denture though is very different than those flimsy plastic things... these are rock solid porcellin and titanium pieces of art....they are like actual caps in feel...... they have heft and look as fabulous as if you had caps.

the surgeon was about 14,000 or so and the rest for the dentist who makes up the actual bridge, plus the extractions and the new top bridge....all in all it was about 30,000 and 2 years work as i rejected 1 implant which fell out 6 months into the process.... i need another surgery , no charge and another 6 months healing and adhering

it can take 4-6 months for the bone to grow on the implant sockets and anchor them for actual use...you can barely function as the temporary little plastic denture on the bottom falls out all the time.... id figure a year from start to finish...anything sooner and your lucky

Um, no. There was no "deferred maintenance" in this case. My hubby has spent more time (and money) at the dentist in the past 20 years than anyone I know. His family seems to have inherently bad teeth no matter how much upkeep. I on the other hand, have a very bon-vivant attitude about my teeth and have never even had a cavity. :D

Holy moly! Well that was the case with my DH, he'd not gone since his 20s and had all those years of no maintenance to fix by the time he was in mid-40s.

I'm kinda glad I married an easy keeper, now that I think about it. I have your same teeth situation, but have had a few cavities. I even have all of my wisdom teeth. :D

Didn't mean to sound like he was a slacker, like my DH! :flowers:

I need an implant to replace a dead tooth and at price of about $7K I am seriously considering Thailand. If I lived on the East Coast, I'd consider Costa Rica or India if I was talking talking Kitchen remodel prices. My understanding is the main practical thing you are giving up when you go overseas is the ability to win a lawsuit and collect big bucks.

I am also at loss as how a person judges the quality of dentist works. If you ask 4 out of 5 people will say they are happy with their dentist or doctor. There simply isn't enough data out there for a consumer to make an informed judgment that Dentist A who charges $25K is better than Dentist B who charges $20K.

While I am glad Mathjack is happy with his work, I think it is impossible for you to know if the rejected implant was because stuff happens or because the surgeon screwed up.

you are correct, we never know what to attribute the rejection of 1 implant to

Wisdom teeth and evolution. Its an interesting thing to read up on. I only had 2 myself. ;)

I have been using this floss since my restorative dentistry ( lots of crowns and a permanent bridge ) . It works great getting into tight spots .

Oral-B Super Floss

Our understanding on the permanently affixed implants was that one had to use kind of a needle and thread technique under the fixture and between the posts because the teeth in the fixture were fused together - so no flossing down between them. So with 12 posts thread under the fixture 5 times on top and 5 below with the little plastic threader dragging the floss. Seems pretty involved....

Ahh - i see your linked product has the threaders attached..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom