What We’re Smoking (or Grilling, or Curing)!

Smoking some spare ribs as we speak. I've mowed the lawn in between filling the chip tray (apple wood). They've been at 225F for 1.5 hours so far. In about 1/2 hour, I'll take them out of the smoker, wrap them in foil with butter and honey and put them in the oven for 2 hours (which is when I'll go to the wine store), then paint with BBQ sauce and back in the smoker for 1/2 hour to set the bark. The young wife is currently making coleslaw and baked beans.

Smoking some spare ribs as we speak. I've mowed the lawn in between filling the chip tray (apple wood). They've been at 225F for 1.5 hours so far. In about 1/2 hour, I'll take them out of the smoker, wrap them in foil with butter and honey and put them in the oven for 2 hours (which is when I'll go to the wine store), then paint with BBQ sauce and back in the smoker for 1/2 hour to set the bark. The young wife is currently making coleslaw and baked beans.

A great Zinfandel would be my choice. Anything by Robert Biale is first choice, always. Enjoy the ribs and wine!

I couldn't find any Robert Biale, but I did get a nice Paso Robles Zinfandel and it went well with the ribs. Thanks for the recommendation.

YW. Zin is my choice for anything BBQ. Sometimes they have a bit of residual sugar, and that helps if there any heat in the sauce.

Years ago before I made wine, I loved Twisted Old Vine Zin. It was a great wine for ~$10 a 1.5L bottle, I think it's still around.

'll take them out of the smoker, wrap them in foil with butter and honey and put them in the oven for 2 hours (which is when I'll go to the wine store), then paint with BBQ sauce and back in the smoker for 1/2 hour to set the bark.
Might have to try that with the butta n' honey... sounds yummy!

Might have to try that with the butta n' honey... sounds yummy!

The other trick I use is to smear them with a light coat of Dijon mustard before I sprinkle on my dry rub. It helps keep the rub on and they end up smoky sweet with a little bite underneath.

The other trick I use is to smear them with a light coat of Dijon mustard before I sprinkle on my dry rub. It helps keep the rub on and they end up smoky sweet with a little bite underneath.

Competitive BBQ teams, who do this all the time, generally use CYM on their ribs to make the rub stick (cheap yellow mustard). When I watch them at competitions (where I judge), I'm also amazed at how thickly many of them apply the rub. I started out using CYM but I have also switched to using Dijon since I agree it makes a slight but noticeable difference.

We just received our annual half beef, albeit too early. There was some discussion at one time in the ER forum about cooking and eating beef heart, so I asked the butcher to send ours. But now I can't find the discussion. Does anybody have a recipe for beef heart?

I made a Teriyaki Lime marinade for Salmon, let it soak for about 8 hours, DH smoked on the Treager.
It was very tasty and moist!

Half a pork shoulder (I buy them in 2 pack cryo's and cut them half-perfect portion for the 3 of us) over apple wood. Simple rub with salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayanne, suger (white and brown) garlic, onion. No measurements, just winged it. Plain yellow mustard at the binder.

Will be served with a pickled cucumber and red onion salad and corn on the cob, perhaps some cast iron corn bread too. And a mint julep. or two. :beers:
(at my other site :beers: is a drinking emoji)

:dance:

20230521_101545.jpg

20230521_101705.jpg

20230521_101728.jpg

Started to late in the morning, never got tp pull temp. Cooked ti 165. Great flavor and tender.

Attachments

• 20230521_171411.jpg
    20230521_171411.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20230521_171421.jpg
    20230521_171421.jpg
    578.8 KB · Views: 33
reverse sear on a Prime grade Ribeye steak - smoked with Mesquite wood in my stick burner at 250 until the steak temp reached 125 internal then took it over to the 500 degree cast iron for searing 1 min each side while basting with butter/garlic compound butter I made - pulled that at 130 then let it rest for 15 min.(while resting the temp rose to 140 which was higher than I wanted) The side dishes were sweet potato and green beans with parmesan cheese on top. Delicious!

I like to do the smoke and reverse sear with tri-tip. Use a Santa Maria rub overnight.

I usually pull and let rest at 115 deg and then sear to 125. That reverse sear stage can go real quick.

I like to do the smoke and reverse sear with tri-tip. Use a Santa Maria rub overnight.

I usually pull and let rest at 115 deg and then sear to 125. That reverse sear stage can go real quick.

I have a tri-tip in the freezer I need to use. Do you do the final sear on the grill/smoker at high temp or in some type of cast iron pan or what? Seems like the grill would be best, since the tri-tip isn't flat like a steak would be.

I have a tri-tip in the freezer I need to use. Do you do the final sear on the grill/smoker at high temp or in some type of cast iron pan or what? Seems like the grill would be best, since the tri-tip isn't flat like a steak would be.
I do it on my gas grill, three sides. I’ve only ever reverse seared using my grill as it’s the easiest.

Thanks! Haven't used the gasser in a long time. Seems like a good use for it.

Yes. I only do low temp (slow, indirect heat) stuff on my smoker. High temp (fast, direct heat) I always use my gas grill. I use it fairly often - grilling eggplant, poblano peppers, rib-eye steaks. Occasionally seafood.

The eggplant - a whole eggplant for making baba ganoush. Poblanos - I make rajas with them - strips of roasted poblanos sautéed with caramelized onions and cream, a favorite topping for the grilled steaks. That’s a bit of work but so yummy. https://www.early-retirement.org/fo...grilling-or-curing-108283-14.html#post2749060

I do actually have a cast iron griddle and skillet that I can use on my grill but have never gotten around to using them.

Last edited:
Did some filet last night with some lobster tails, celebrating my 65th BD last week. First time I ever did lobster; recipe said use low setting for 5 minutes each side but I couldn't get the tails to 140 degrees. The filets seared well, ever since I changed the angle bars to stainless instead of the ceramic coated steel.

I like using my GrillGrates on the smoker for searing. They’re available in multiple sizes to fit virtually any grill or smoker.
Pull the steak or TriTip out of the smoker and let rest while you place the grill grate(s) onto the grill and crank the heat all the way up. Then place the meat onto the grill grates and sear until the internal temp is to your liking. Get great sear marks and a perfect finish!

When we say gas grill, mine is naturally...nat gas. I ran it to the deck, have Weber nat gas grill (doesnt get hot enough really), but use it all the time, keep Lodge skillet and SS grill topper in it always. Live in upstate NY and its 3' from slider on deck. Use it year round, no issues 12 years old). Recommend those with gas do the simple work to pipe to location. FWIW.
Bacon and eggs in grill are great (skillet eggs work great) and no stove mess (DW likes that). Thawed bacon slices across grate cooks up great, unique smoky flavor. Also, add some to create a smoker for, say chicken or fish - but it's sooty so be careful, have water spray ready.

Last edited:
OK I’m going to have to get one of those smoker tubes for extra smoke. I have a couple of thick tomahawk steaks on the smoker at 225, and it looks like they will reach 115deg (desired temp before reverse sear) in just a little over an hour. I know that’s not enough time to get much smoke flavor.

Back
Top Bottom