What's your Linux flavor?

Rustic23

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OK, so I realize that a large portion of this board could care less, and this topic has been discussed before. However, it has been awhile, and things change.

I have used Ubuntu, Puppy, Mint, and several other distros in the past. I have an old laptop, don't know when I got it, but it originally came with Windows Vista! I have tested Mint Cinnamon, Mint Mate, Ubuntu, GMac, Zorin, and a few others.

I got a $20 SSD (120 gb), and I think I am going to settle on Mint/Cinnamon. I have three red lines. 1. Easy to install network printer. 2. Instal network attached hard driver, 3. Run Chrome.

So, I thought I would post this new, just to see if there is anything new I might have missed.

P.S. This is a hobby computer and will serve no other purpose than to waste my time. :)

My daily driver is Manjaro with Mate desktop. Previously I was on Ubuntu LTS for many years. I was playing around with Intel's Clear Linux which has some secret sauce to make it super fast, it needs a UFEI BIOS since it uses systemd for booting.

Mint

Arch Linux since 2012. It's a bit more hands-on then the more user-friendly distros but once you get acclimated it's wonderful.

openSUSE Leap, but no particular reason why. Over the past several years I've used OpenSUSE, and Mint, and have settled on OpenSuse Leap. I also run Lubuntu (a lightweight Ubuntu) on a very old, underpowered Netbook.

Mint/Cinnamon because I am used to it.
19.3, 32 bit on an XP era desktop, and Vista era notebook, 18.3, 64 bit on a Win 7 era desktop.
All with SSD - the 32 bit ones boot noticeably slower than 64 bit.

I installed Mint Cinnamon 19.3. Have 107 gb left after the install. Boots in about half the time as normal HD. All my 'red line' items work.

I played with RedHat long long ago, when you had to compile the software for your machine. Had to run it via the commandline as couldn't get the graphics to work.

Went back to Dos/Windows

Last 8 years have been on Ubuntu, so easy to use, upgrade, etc...

I've run a gamit of them as well over the years. Have done redhat, mythbuntu (DVR), suse, manjero, puppy, fedora and archlinux on a usb disk. I used Ubuntu till they went with the Unity desktop. Tried running Ubuntu with gnome instead of Unity and it was kinda clunky on top of that. I went to Debian with Gnome and have been happy with that for the last many years. My desktop is also setup with multiple boot situations so just replaced older version of Ubuntu with Mint/Cinnamon to take it for a test drive but still am running Debian (Buster) with the Gnome shell as my main application.

Debian does all of those very well for me, connected to several HP printers, my network storage drive shows up as another drive and have chrome on it. I really like Brave for a browser instead of chrome. In fact I think Brave is built based on chrome.

I have my 160G drive partitioned as a 40G, 40G and 60G partitions. I like the fun of multiple partitions that way you can try many different ones while still keeping your main system online. You should try something fun like that.

My main desktop is running Ubuntu. My arcade machine is also running Ubuntu, and my media server is running Mint. Remote cameras are running Raspian. DW's laptop is running Ubuntu.

Ubuntu here - now have 2 Supermicro pizzabox servers, one with 18.04 the other I just configured over the weekend with 20.04.

Ubuntu on a laptop

Debian based Proxmox for a server & VM host

Debian on a couple VMs
Ubuntu on Virtual desktop

Yup, I'm a bit of a nerd.

I focus on the server-side functions of Linux, so Red Hat, SLES, Ubuntu, CentOS, OpenSuSE.

Since I worked with mainframes several of these (Red Hat, SLES, Ubuntu) also ran on the mainframe so I worked with those distributions on that platform as well.

For my new home installations I tend to use Ubuntu, even on the Raspberry Pi, as for me it is the easiest for a quick install and ongoing maintenance (from a server perspective), and seems to quickly support some of the main server platform software I play with (like Docker).

Ubuntu on a couple of old and slow laptops.

I ran Redhat and later Ubuntu when I had a couple of servers in the basement. I dropped those years ago but loaded Ubuntu up on an old laptop recently to regain familiarity with Linux. I hadn't even heard of Mint until recent Linux threads here.

Mint Mate my daily driver. Tinker with new distros once in a while.

Have converted several family/friends away from Windows to Mint. Combined with LibreOffice, most say it's all they need. Started with converting their old PC/laptops, some moved to it as their primary, others as a web machine. Setup Windows in a VM for those who might need it.

Dual boot on my main use Laptop (Dell E6440) Manjaro with XFCE (use it most of the time) and MX Linux. Peppermint OS on an old 17" HP Laptop and Linux Mint XFCE on an ancient HP media desktop with a Pentium D processor. I've installed small SSD's in all of them and they are actually quite responsive even with the ancient processors.

Update on Clear Linux, I gave up on it. Got it to run on Hyper V in Win 10, but a choppy mouse makes it frustrating. Tried bare metal, it doesn't like NVIDIA graphics and I don't feel like troubleshooting. Also I think my BIOS doesn't support the right UFEI. On to the next distro!

Currently using MX-Linux. It's Debian based. Quick and probably the most stable distro I've used.

Worth noting, maybe it's just me :(, but The MX-Linux forum is a bit over my head. There isn't a newbie corner like in other distros I've tried.

Last edited:
Gentoo for 20+ years. Hard core. :)
Almost everything is built from source. (Nearly) Nothing running on the machine that I didn't put there myself.

Gentoo for 20+ years. Hard core. :)
Almost everything is built from source. (Nearly) Nothing running on the machine that I didn't put there myself.
Do you have to compile every program? I read Chrome takes hours and hours to compile.

Back
Top Bottom