What's your Linux flavor?

Do you have to compile every program? I read Chrome takes hours and hours to compile.
Yeah, nearly everything is built from source.

Chrome is proprietary(?) and so it's a binary install (i.e. pull down a tgz/zip and unpack it), as is the Nvidia (video) driver. Chromium does indeed take a while to build, but I don't use it/build it. Firefox takes about an hour on my current machine.

Last edited:
Recently Switched from Ubuntu to Kubuntu

I use the Kubuntu flavor of Ubuntu since I prefer a more windows like interface.

I have been using Kubuntu, kind of, on my daily driver (old, under powered laptop) for several months and will likely stick with it. KDE's Plasma desktop doesn't seem to be much, if any, more resource intensive than LXDE or Xfce these days; all of which are much less resource hogs than GNOME.

This has made my laptop much more responsive and stable even though I have not weened myself off many of my larger GTK applications such as FireFox and ThunderBird.

I say Kubuntu, kind of, because I just installed KDE on top of my Ubuntu GNOME; so, I still have a lot of baggage installed on my system. At some point this year, I will either do a clean and complete install of Kubuntu 20.04 on my daily driver or do a clean install of Ubuntu Server with just the KDE pieces and applications that I really want.

I have been using Kubuntu, kind of, on my daily driver (old, under powered laptop) for several months and will likely stick with it. KDE's Plasma desktop doesn't seem to be much, if any, more resource intensive than LXDE or Xfce these days; all of which are much less resource hogs than GNOME.

This has made my laptop much more responsive and stable even though I have not weened myself off many of my larger GTK applications such as FireFox and ThunderBird.

I say Kubuntu, kind of, because I just installed KDE on top of my Ubuntu GNOME; so, I still have a lot of baggage installed on my system. At some point this year, I will either do a clean and complete install of Kubuntu 20.04 on my daily driver or do a clean install of Ubuntu Server with just the KDE pieces and applications that I really want.

For grins when you get that far try apt remove ubuntu-desktop possibly after apt install kubuntu-desktop to clean things up.

This video title is a bit tongue-in-check, but Lunduke does make a few interesting points about the failure of desktop linux. I was looking to put linux on an older PC, but I can't determine which one I might like the best. I might wish there were not so many to choose from. That there was one with a lot of support and inertia behind it.

Lunduke's video is too long and his points are mostly invalid. Its buggy, not really, no more so than other software on any OS system. It doesn't run xyz. Well if xyz is made for another OS why should it run it? Just run xyz on the system it was designed for, so not a valid point. It doesn't run old programs. Programs are constantly updated, just run the current version, again a lame objection. Audio and video, these are really not issues, maybe in the early days, but now these just work.

Linux is not for JohnQ consumer, who likes a dumbed down OS that spies on him and feeds him ads. Linux has no commercial promotion, open source means no way to monetize proprietary code, so there is no money to be made by promoting it, and that is a good thing.

Last edited:
Ubuntu LTS on an ECS Liva Mini PC. We use that for web browsing when overseas.

The rest of our desktops and laptops and are Windows 10.

Last edited:
I've been a Windows PC user for far too long, but we do have an extra PC and laptop running Linux Mint. My DW uses the Linux PC to log into accounts where she wants more security than her tablet.

Once it becomes impossible to disable Cortana and the other nonsense Microsoft has tossed into Windows, I will move all Internet activities to a Linux PC. I can leave most of my Windows apps on the Win 10 PC and use it offline if it gets to that stage. Not ideal, but I already trust accessing the Internet from the Linux PC more than I do the Win 10 PC.

I've been playing with Linux for a couple of years ever since I needed to figure out how to SSH into my Ubiquity Cloud Key to update my network router. It got me interested once I spent a week trying to create a config file for the router. Being in the industry for 30 years, I am a bit geeky anyway so I have:

MX Linux on a Lenovo T430 laptop
Mint Cinnamon 19.3 on a Lenovo T550 laptop
Ubuntu/Windows 8 dual boot on HP Desktop
Mint Cinnamon 18.3 on an HP DV7 laptop
Open Media Vault 5 on a Supermicro Server (backup for QNAP NAS)

And various assorted windows boxes running Blue Iris, Plex and Window Media Center I use for my TV system.

Oh, and my new HP X360 laptop with Win 10 I use for travel, a Win 10 Desktop for mainly Windows based applications and a little HP 12" laptop for playing with whatever floats my boat at the time. I love Ebay.

Mint Cinnamon on a 5 yo Macbook Pro. Finally ordered a Star Labs laptop with Mint Cinnamon preinstalled to replace the MBP. Can't wait for delivery.

I am into opensource and docker and have tested a few Linux distros for app development platform. I like alpine Linux which takes about 5MB to run and about 250MB to have full python3 environment ready to run my tools. Ubuntu 18.94 and 20.04 have been trimmed down significantly comparing to its earlier versions but I am still looking at 500MB to have a ready to use environment.

For GUI, I use arch, gdm, and LXDE. Ubuntu works the same way but arch Linux is my preference since it uses rolling updates so I don't have to worry about the support for my version gets abandoned.

Back
Top Bottom