Why Fly?

I still fly for w*rk, and I will fly after I ER. Sure, it's a flying bus and I'm jammed into a not-very-big space, but it helps to keep it all in perspective: doing this lets me cross the country in 5 hours, and at less cost and greater safety than driving. I don't expect to be entertained or even fed a good meal, I just want safe, rapid, cheap transportation, and the airlines generally provide that.
For those who want to be pampered, there's first class. It's not a whole lot mroe expense (adjusted for inflation) than what coach used to cost before deregulation.

1. Don't cut your connections too close. Flights are often delayed and the stress over whether you'll get to the intermediate airport in time to make your connection can ruin your entire day..
The online booking services will sell customers a ticket with a 30 minute connect time in Atlanta. Anyone who has connected through ATL knows this is seldom going to work, and if by some miracle you make it, your bag probably won't. My personal minimum is 90 minutes connection in ATL, DFW, or Chicago, one hour everywhere else. But a little longer is better.

Good tips, Gumby. I'd add: Checked bags don't always make it to the destination on time, but in domestic travel they will almost certainly get there the next day. It's good to bring medications, toiletries, a change of underwear, etc in your carryon bag in case the checked bag is delayed.

Last edited:
Flying is a necessary evil for me; I do not get any enjoyment out of it.
I work overseas and it is the only reasonable means to go on vacation and such.
I pay to fly business class as I am quite large and do not comfortably fit in coach (6’4” and 265lbs.). I do not care about the “bells and whistles”, just the larger seat space.
My wife on the other hand loves the travel part and could sit anywhere, can swing her feet like a lil’ girl in the business class seats and loves the champagne and cookies etc. (5’ 110lbs).
I would teleport if that was an option!

I do not like to fly and avoid it when possible. Almost all of our US vacations have been driving vacations. We even drove from Texas to Quebec for vacation several years ago.

But to go to Europe and Asia we've flown. I think it would be fun though to go by cruise to Europe and might do that sometime.

+ Gumby on all points. +1 Samclem on carrying on toiletries and some essentials. I like international travel and the occasional west coast or Hawaii trip. Absent planes I wouldn't go. Simple as that. I flew quite a bit at work but while F2F is nice I could have done almost everything by phone/teleconference. Some training sessions would have been less effective but with a little effort could be done.

Got burnt out on flying during the first 15 years of my career, so do not enjoy it at all, but sometimes it is the only way to get to a destination in a timely manner.

5. Pay the money and check your luggage. It is so much more pleasant to walk around the airport without lugging a suitcase, and you wont have to obsess about who gets the overhead space - something that causes the inevitable cattle herd to form in the boarding area and leads to much bad behavior aboard the plane.
This is only part where I disagree, the rest is spot on.
But we pack very light, comparing to most.
While it's pleasant to walk without a suitcase, if you just have a small backpack it's typically not a big deal to walk around nor get the overhead space.
And when I needed to check luggage in the past, I had it delayed countless times and lost twice, so I avoid checking my luggage whenever I can.

I have not been on a commercial aircraft from well before TSA existed. Have no intention of ever geting on commercial flights, barring some extreme need.

Spent many years flying back and forth to Alaska on commercial flights, and inside on small planes.

There was once once an air cargo company called Flying Tigers, the founder was fond of saying, cargo does not complain about accomodations or schedule.
Don't recall who bought them.

As for happy pilots, would they be the cargo carriers' flight jockeys? Fed ex, DHL, UPS. I have not heard from any in the media. Maybe keeping a good thing quiet? Then there is CONAIR, I seem to recall they ferry convicts around the country. Maybe the safest airline in the US.

There was once once an air cargo company called Flying Tigers, the founder was fond of saying, cargo does not complain about accomodations or schedule.
Don't recall who bought them.
The Flying Tigers pilots were a good bunch. Wikipedia says they were bought out by FedEx in 1988, but I thought there was some sort of intermediate step when they were bought by Tower Air or World
Airways. Anyway, Flying Tigers was the world's first cargo airline, and had a colorful history tangled up in Cold War intrigue. I deployed to the Gulf War up in the crew compartment of an ex-Flying Tigers plane with an ex-Flying Tigers crew. Their ties and shoes came off as soon as the plane reached altitude. They treated us great. "What are those--box lunches from the Army? Throw that sh*t in the can. We've got plenty of catered food in the back, help yourself". They had lots of stories.

As for happy pilots, would they be the cargo carriers' flight jockeys? Fed ex, DHL, UPS. I have not heard from any in the media. Maybe keeping a good thing quiet?
The schedules are predicable, but the weather is not, and "corporate" wants those boxes moved on time. Virtually all their flying is at night which is tough on families, mood, and health.

Last edited:
In Cold Bay, Aleutians of Alaska I often got weathered in, the hangout for the duration was The Weathered Inn, owned and operated by Tigers. The accomodations were sparse but super clean, food was great, booze relatively cheap for Alaska, "weather" as guest of the Reeve Alutian Airline, when stranded which parked us for the duration, or passing through.

Cold bay had a 15000 foot runway, good for many things. In a supercub on slow days would land across the runway, to minimize taxi time.

I knew many of their crew very well. Yeas their history is colorful to say the least.

Return to normal airline bashing.....:D

Last edited:
When DH and I were dating, I lived in LA and he lived in SF (med school/college). It was the early 80s. We sprung together for a coupon book of flights on a now defunct airline, Pacific Express. We bought 10 one way flights for $290. Needless to say those hopper flights helped our relationship immensely, as did discount long distance calling...
It was easier visit each other on the weekends than to drive from West LA to Newport Beach, LOL.

I don't mind flying at all. It's the takeoff and landing that is nerve-wracking. I try to sleep through both when I can.

Life would go on, but the world would be less accessible, particularly to those of us still working! When I retire, my appetite for long road trips may increase. That said, living in one corner of the country but with family in two other corners, I'd rather fly than drive. That's certain!

I don't mind flying. Bose QC noise canceling headphones make a world of difference with respect to the kiddos. And who knows? If we can save enough and retire with plenty, First Class may not be out of the question!

I have flown quite a bit for both business and leisure. In my experience, flying is what you make of it. A little good humor and flexibility can go a long way to making your trip pleasant for both you and the people around you. Among other things, I would advise the following:

1. Don't cut your connections too close. Flights are often delayed and the stress over whether you'll get to the intermediate airport in time to make your connection can ruin your entire day. Also, get to the initial departure airport in plenty of time, and give yourself plenty of time at the final arrival terminal to get your luggage and be on your way.

2. Don't cut your money too close. If having to stay over somewhere or eating an extra restaurant meal because your flight is delayed or canceled will cause you financial hardship, you probably should have waited until you saved more before traveling. The stuff at the airport is always going to cost a fortune. That's just the way it is. Being mad won't make it any cheaper.

3. Accept that it is a complicated system, often affected by weather and mechanical malfunction. There is nothing you can say or do to make it work any differently. So relax and go with the flow. If the gate changes, go to the new one without complaining. If the flight is delayed, it gives you more time to read your book.

4. Realize that other travelers are also anxious and upset about these things. Be courteous to them. It doesn't cost anything and it will make you both happier. Also, be nice to the airline personnel. They want everything to go smoothly and the ones you deal with generally have no power to change the things that are bothering you. Smile at your flight attendant and comply with his or her instructions. Don't obsess about other people who don't. It's not your problem.

5. Pay the money and check your luggage. It is so much more pleasant to walk around the airport without lugging a suitcase, and you wont have to obsess about who gets the overhead space - something that causes the inevitable cattle herd to form in the boarding area and leads to much bad behavior aboard the plane.

6. Always have a good book to read.

Good list. I agree with #5 if you're traveling for more than a couple of days. I'd always rather be comfortable and spend a few extra minutes waiting at the end of the flights than have to stress about overhead bin space, etc.

Can't say I "hate" flying, but it is a major PITA...

But I'll be going to the old hometown in a few weeks for a family reunion. It would be a money saver to drive, thus avoiding the airline ticket, airport parking, and rental car, but adding the cost of fuel (in a Prius, though), extra nights for lodging, and spending thirty hours driving...

In the end, I chose to fly. When driving, I always think, about the time I hit Texarkana, that I'd be landing at SDF or IND right about then; instead, I still have at least ten more hours of driving...

Once I'm FIREd, though, and not on a time schedule, I will be driving more and flying less.

I have flown quite a bit for both business and leisure. In my experience, flying is what you make of it. A little good humor and flexibility can go a long way to making your trip pleasant for both you and the people around you. Among other things, I would advise the following:

1. Don't cut your connections too close. Flights are often delayed and the stress over whether you'll get to the intermediate airport in time to make your connection can ruin your entire day. Also, get to the initial departure airport in plenty of time, and give yourself plenty of time at the final arrival terminal to get your luggage and be on your way.

2. Don't cut your money too close. If having to stay over somewhere or eating an extra restaurant meal because your flight is delayed or canceled will cause you financial hardship, you probably should have waited until you saved more before traveling. The stuff at the airport is always going to cost a fortune. That's just the way it is. Being mad won't make it any cheaper.

3. Accept that it is a complicated system, often affected by weather and mechanical malfunction. There is nothing you can say or do to make it work any differently. So relax and go with the flow. If the gate changes, go to the new one without complaining. If the flight is delayed, it gives you more time to read your book.

4. Realize that other travelers are also anxious and upset about these things. Be courteous to them. It doesn't cost anything and it will make you both happier. Also, be nice to the airline personnel. They want everything to go smoothly and the ones you deal with generally have no power to change the things that are bothering you. Smile at your flight attendant and comply with his or her instructions. Don't obsess about other people who don't. It's not your problem.

6. Always have a good book to read.

An excellent list. If I might be so bold as to add a point to your #6, it would be "always have a good book to read and a snack to tide you over". More often than not they will be worth their weight in gold.

Airports generate incredible stress for travelers and employees alike. Each time I have been exposed to serious or major travel disruption, being friendly, polite and positive with the airline employees has resulted in a favorable outcome for me.

I still remember back in the day when I commuted, weekly by air, to my remote territory. Only once in a year and a half did I miss the Monday 6am flight, by less than 5 minutes, and I yelled and pouted at the counter, to no avail.

The flight was hijacked to Cuba...

I don't mind flying at all. It's the takeoff and landing that is nerve-wracking. I try to sleep through both when I can.

Remember Braniff, the early 80-90s. We had a part time pilot from there that taught part time IT classes for Megacorp. When I told him how afraid I was to fly, those were his words exactly!:)

Lots of flying haters...

+ Gumby on all points

If it wasn't for flying I would never have met my wife since I never would have interview/moved to Calif since it would have been totally impractical to drive 5 days for a job interview when I already had a job.

And I never would have seen Italy....I love Italy :D

It's a pain now but it makes it possible to see parts of the world that would otherwise be pretty much out of reach.

I've developed a routine (and learned to tolerate flying) after 12 years of flying Chicago - Phoenix between our house and condo.I fly out early am or late pm to avoid the airport crowds and traffic. I generally only take my backpack with camera stuff and my iPad, to avoid baggage check. I fly Southwest, and always get a window or aisle seat. Watch a movie on the iPad, take a nap, and I'm there.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Air travel is one of the wonders of modern life. It's relatively inexpensive and remarkably safe. Sure, there are more unpleasant aspects to air travel now than there were 20 years ago, but I still find it amazing to get on a plane and within hours, go from snow to warm weather or to a completely different culture and continent.

Remember Braniff, the early 80-90s.

I recall flying Braniff in the early 70's. Less than $20 to fly between Houston Hobby and and Dallas Love. No lines, no security checks, no crowds and good service. I remember once I was able to arrive at the airport (Hobby) with only about 15mins before the flight was scheduled to leave. I was able to buy a ticket and board the plane with time to spare. (not a lot of time :)

Southwest is what we have been flying to see DS in Dallas (and woohoo starting in October, nonstop to Chicago!). I keep telling myself that if we use any other airlines to go anywhere else, we are going business class--we'll see if we really follow through with that. Then flying would be fun again!

I recall flying Braniff in the early 70's. Less than $20 to fly between Houston Hobby and and Dallas Love. No lines, no security checks, no crowds and good service. I remember once I was able to arrive at the airport (Hobby) with only about 15mins before the flight was scheduled to leave. I was able to buy a ticket and board the plane with time to spare. (not a lot of time :)

Heh, I once walked from my condo to the gate at LaGuardia's marine air terminal (pre-9/11). I imagine that trying that now would get you shot or at least a free ride in the back of a cop car.

Lots of flying haters...

+ Gumby on all points

If it wasn't for flying I would never have met my wife since I never would have interview/moved to Calif since it would have been totally impractical to drive 5 days for a job interview when I already had a job.

And I never would have seen Italy....I love Italy :D

It's a pain now but it makes it possible to see parts of the world that would otherwise be pretty much out of reach.

Sadly, the bullcrap that surrounds flying means that it simply isn't worth the toll to fly to many destinations for me.

I suppose everyone has had some kind of "scare" in the air.

I don't recall the plane designation, but it was back when the rear of the plane had sort of lounge seating. My fellow district manager was sitting next to me, and the stewardess next to him, as we were landing. The plane had been committed to landing... engines winding down and we were "floating"in... Over the PA came a simple, angry "DAMN"... and the engines slowly, very slowly, began to rev up... and a "Hang on folks"... Some idiot in a private plane was landing underneath our plane. We continued to drop as the engines wound back up. We had gone the length of the runway, a few feet from the ground, and at the end of the runway we sailed across some trees. Looking out the window, some of the tree tips were above the plane.
Naturally we made it okay, but after we got off the plane, my friend rolled up his shirt sleeve and showed four bloody indentations where the stewardess's fingernails had dented him as she held on for dear life.

A second "scare, came on a trip on JAL, from JFK , eventually to Tokyo. After taking off, we flew out over the ocean.... I figured just as a planned flight path, but after about 10 minutes, I looked down, and we were still over water. Hmmm.. strange, but nothing to worry about... until... the pilot cam on the PA and made an announcement... In Japanese, dontcha know. Whoa... looking around at the Japanese people on the plane, they were moshy moshi-ing, with pure panic on their faces. Translation about a minute later. No wheel indicator light came on... Problem with landing gear. For an hour we flew over the Atlantic... looking out and seeing the shadow of the plane on the clouds below. A black shadow triangle showing behind the plane. We were jettisoning fuel.

A very long landing... a few feet above the ground. Picked up two firetrucks going about 80 MPH on both sides of the plane. Guys in white fireproof suits sitting in turrets on the fire trucks pointing foam guns at the plane. We landed in a sea of foam... completely normal landing. A short in the nosegear warning circuit. Four hours later, a different plane, a delightful flight... short a few passengers who were still in the airport bathroom.

One last story... just to salve my fearful memory. Taking off from Elmira/Corning in our Gulfstream V corporate jet, to be dropped off in Albany.
I was alone in the passenger cabin. Terrible snowstorm, and we had been a half hour being de-iced. Now the airport is located in a deep valley, and the take off is full power, and rapid ascent, so full power all the way. Winding out the engine, big roar... and I look out the window... OMG... We had just fueled, and as we accelerated, huge amounts of gasoline, pouring off the wings, and the pilots, up front, don't know. OMG, OMG we're going to crash and burn.
Now, we're airborne and climbing at about 45 degrees. I struggle, pulling myself along the seats (not easy at that angle).. toward the cockpit...
Bang on the door and scream... GAS LEAK!!! Copilot says... please return to your seat sir... (Sir?... I'm not a sir, I'm a quivering mass of Jello.) Back to the seat... seat back up, pillow in lap, and in crash position. Trying to remember some prayer...
Three minutes later, co-pilot comes back... It's all ok sir... that was just melted ice from the de-icing. He still called me sir, and he didn't smile... at least not while he was talking to me. :blush:

...and then the time the same plane was hit by lightning as we landed in Boise. Hole that came up between the pilot's feet. Anyway, free steaks for private planes at the Boise airport.

Like a helicopter pilot in Viet Nam... "Hours of boredom, interspersed with moments of sheer terror."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom