Why join AARP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I enjoy getting their magazine and figure the cost is no different than any other magazine subscription. I also use their free tax preparation service (I know it is available to everyone that use simple forms) that alone is worth the $10 or $12/year. Anything else is just icing.

Cheers!

In order to get the UHC MediGap G plan I joined AARP. ...
The 5 years for $45 went into the mailbox this morning for this reason.

AARP-UHC Plan G really was a no brainer for me. It had the coverage I wanted and was the ONLY community rated plan offered in my state.
And that's why I picked AARP-UHC for DW. There was only 1 other plan in NC that wasn't the kind of pricing where the happy healthy ducks leave the pool and leave the sick ducks with a huge bill.

When I ask for an AARP discount, I've rarely been asked to prove membership. When I joined for a while a long time ago, they gave me a card with no expiration date, which I flash. No one really seems to care if you really belong. YMMV
I was trying to get a deal at a hotel when the "Exit Guide" coupon didn't work (on account of not being valid during holidays). The clerk said there was a discount for AARP, so I said, "what if I don't have my card" and she said she'd still give me the same price. I could have "not had my card" because I never signed-up :LOL:, but I think what she meant was the senior discount was the same as the AARP.

.......I was trying to get a deal at a hotel when the "Exit Guide" coupon didn't work (on account of not being valid during holidays). The clerk said there was a discount for AARP, so I said, "what if I don't have my card" and she said she'd still give me the same price. I could have "not had my card" because I never signed-up :LOL:, but I think what she meant was the senior discount was the same as the AARP.
Yea, my experience, too. The whole AARP discount is just a way for businesses to pull in some business that they might otherwise not get - like any "senior discount" scheme. No money flows back and forth from AARP to the business AFAIK.

You can AARP at 50, "senior discounts" usually start later.

I joined AARP because the small amount I save on my Consumer Cellular bill more than paid for what I paid for AARP.

I actually find that Consumer Cellular is very good phone service. And very well priced. And generally when you call customer service, you get somebody. I find that is preferable to pushing one, then two and telling something that isn’t real what your problem is that it can’t help you anyway like most places.

Although, I have to say that my last foray with them was when my old iPhone was dying and I purchased a new one through them I was having a lot of issues getting through to someone. And delivery was delayed. But we’re all having those issues due to Covid.

My cousin died in May 2021. I have gotten several AARP renewal notices for him. Twice, I wrote in big black letters "Member deceased" and mailed it back. Yesterday, his new card came in the mail. I'm wondering how long it will take for them to stop contacting him.

From experience with others, they likely won't stop soon. I've seen notices keep coming to deceased for years.

This is a very 'cheapskate' reason to join AARP - Denny's discount of 15%. We have a Denny's not to far from our place, and we go once a week. Saves us about $4 every time we go...$200/year. Feel dirty for admitting this....

..... the AARP rate at Hilton beats the Hilton Honors rate by $5 or $6/night.

I'm a member of both Hilton Honors & (somewhat embarrassed to say) AARP. Hilton Honors rates are their lowest by company policy.

https://www.hilton.com/en/hilton-honors/
But AARP rate sometimes equals it for some room options. In my travels I stay at Hilton properties (mostly Hampton Inns) almost exclusively. Unfortunately have never seen any rates lower than their Honors member rates to get their advertised 25% off bonus for finding such a rate ;)
FWIW- Honors members also sometimes get extra 'perks', especially at their higher 'elite' levels (which I am not most years). Worth it to join (no cost) if you stay at their properties even occasionally. (I have NO connection to Hilton other than being a customer)

Regarding AARP & general insurances, I have shopped them periodically in effort to save some $.

I've been with USAA since my military service days and no one comes close to their premiums anywhere for comparable coverage (including AARP). When I called Hartford/AARP for an auto quote recently, the agent asked me who my current carrier was. When I said USAA, he abruptly ended the call saying they can't compete with their rates.
Incidentally- My in-laws switched to Hartford/AARP auto policy a few years ago and did save some $$$ the first year over their existing insurance. But Hartford jacked their rates a lot for year two (despite NO accidents or tickets), so they left the H and never looked back.

DW & I are turning 65 this calendar year so going on Medicare. Still researching Medicare supplement (& Advantage) options in our area so can't comment on those AARP options (yet).

agree with target2019. I didn't join AARP because of the benefits, which I don't use and really don't need. But they are one of the very few LARGE organized voices on senior issues, especially senior healthcare.

Same reason I'm a Consumer Rpts member. I don't always agree with their findings, but they are a resource I do use when researching specific items, and they have done an enormous amount of good work pushing consumer safety issues and recalls. This is especially true with foreign mfgs, who are majority VERY reluctant to bother with recalls.

This is a very 'cheapskate' reason to join AARP - Denny's discount of 15%. We have a Denny's not to far from our place, and we go once a week. Saves us about $4 every time we go...$200/year. Feel dirty for admitting this....

I love Denny's, get the chicken fried steak & eggs every time!

Yeah, I know it's a heart attack on a plate, so not often...but when I do - :)

Yeah, 15% almost covers the tip.

Denny's is good if you are away from home and the local places look questionable, or not convenient. You know what to expect and it is better than Mickey D's.

Seems like I get breakfast the rare times I go.
Can't recall ever going into the local ones.

Check out mine with hash browns, over easy and English muffin - :) Stock order.

Check out mine with hash browns, over easy and English muffin - :) Stock order.

Ah OK. I just did not think of chicken fried steak as a breakfast food.
But then some people like breakfast burritos, or chicken and waffles.
Which seems a really odd combo to me.
Hash brown, egg, muffins, yes sir!

I'll just take the Sgt Schultz defense now. :angel:

From Forbes>
AARP blocked Medigap reforms, saving the group $1.8 billion
Adding catastrophic coverage to Medicare, while restraining the ability of Medigap plans to waste money, is a key to Medicare reform, one that has been a big part of bipartisan plans in the past. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the Medigap reforms that AARP blocked would have saved the average senior as much as $415 in premiums per year.

Hehe, yeah seriously it's bad. Breaded spiced beef steak, deep fried with country gravy on top? Nice runny yolk eggs, sop up the yolks in the buttered fried hash browns.

The muffins I use for dessert, smeared with the Suckers jam packets - :)

Hella good! Just not that often...

From Forbes>
AARP blocked Medigap reforms, saving the group $1.8 billion
Adding catastrophic coverage to Medicare, while restraining the ability of Medigap plans to waste money, is a key to Medicare reform, one that has been a big part of bipartisan plans in the past. According to the Kaiser Family Foundation, the Medigap reforms that AARP blocked would have saved the average senior as much as $415 in premiums per year.
Just couldn't restrain yourself, huh?

I have been an AARP member continuously since I retired in 2001. I enjoy reading the magazines and have used AARP discounts several times at restaurants and a couple of times for travel. Too, I appreciate having an organization which lobbies for us senior citizens.

There isn’t any reason to join unless you like their magazine.

As for senior discounts we just ask wherever we go, though they know we are seniors just by looking at us. 😉

We don’t belong to AARP or AMAC.

Last edited:
I finally broke down about this time last year and took out their 5 year deal for DH and me, it cost $45.

I have been beginning to regret it as I seem to get so many emails from them, and we get the newsletter in the mail.

But then, in the past week, we have been researching business class flights for summer (when we hope to be able to travel again). He happened to see in the mag that there is a $200 per ticket discount for business class with British Airways. For us and our daughter, that's $600 off! We booked it! As it's direct with the airline we get the extra AMEX membership rewards points too.

Thank you AARP

I finally broke down about this time last year and took out their 5 year deal for DH and me, it cost $45.

I have been beginning to regret it as I seem to get so many emails from them, and we get the newsletter in the mail.

But then, in the past week, we have been researching business class flights for summer (when we hope to be able to travel again). He happened to see in the mag that there is a $200 per ticket discount for business class with British Airways. For us and our daughter, that's $600 off! We booked it! As it's direct with the airline we get the extra AMEX membership rewards points too.

Thank you AARP
You can change your preferences for emails. I am a member and I get only a handful a year. Sign into your account and update your email frequency.

You can change your preferences for emails. I am a member and I get only a handful a year. Sign into your account and update your email frequency.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to do that.

There isn’t any reason to join unless you like their magazine.

As for senior discounts we just ask wherever we go, though they know we are seniors just by looking at us. 😉

We don’t belong to AARP or AMAC.

I hate the magazine, but love the eyeglasses, dentist, eye exam, hotel, cell phone…discounts.

I joined AARP because the small amount I save on my Consumer Cellular bill more than paid for what I paid for AARP.

Thanks for the tip! I already use Consumer Cellular. The other day, Walgreen's gave me a coupon for free membership to AARP (with, of course, full membersip fees in the future, I assume). I was leery, but your notice makes me say "Why not?!"

a question for current members: other than the magazine and the bulletin, how much snail mail and advertising do you get on a monthly basis?

[I am a nomad so I have to pay to have my mail forwarded to wherever I am. I am keen to eliminate all snailmail].

I joined about 3 years ago and don't find snail mail a problem. Did save some money on my cell phone bill though. Switched from AT&T to Consumer Cellular and saving about half my original bill. Coverage is just as good so the way I look at it, it has paid for itself and then some.

We joined several years ago just for the insurance thru The Hartford...the drop in premiums was well worth the $16 and no inundation of mail to date.

We recently got an additional % of interest with our Goldman Sachs MM account by using our AARP membership.

No complaints here...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom