Work Alcoholic vs Early Retiremment

What are your thoughts on workaholic retiring early? Can they do it or are they just unhappy with life if they do?

I'm sure there are many here that were and are workaholic's in their life and how did you stepped away from the work you did?

I consider myself a workaholic and was constantly working at something other then my day job to make a buck.

I finally found out in life that I enjoy so much more then trying to make a buck.

when i announced my ER several were taking "bets" that i wouldn't last 6-mos before return to FT work somewhere. i did have offers. the day after my last day we left on a 13-week RV trip. that was 14-yrs ago. never looked back. i've been a volunteer at our local history museum and a substitute school crossing guard...been being the operative word. i'm now totally, completely and forever unemployed. :dance:

Money sometimes is like the wind. The more you try to see it the farther it gets away. You need a proper plan to contain money and never let it out of your sight. I think the best way to invest is opening a business that you don't need to do the heavy lifting, all you do is monitor it.

I have no fear that I will be bored in retirement, I tend to be a workaholic at home on the farm, but just can't find the time/energy to do some things because of being dominated by a 10 hour a day job/commute combination.

I plan on getting a small boat to do some fishing in the many lakes/reservoirs around me, I enjoy working on small engine projects, and may look into the real estate buy/fix/sell game.

Last edited:
I don't know if I was a workaholic throughout my career, but at times I think I was. Some assignments were so enjoyable that I was happy and energized to work long hours on them. It was more like working on a hobby than "work". While I could have continued, it became more a question of how I wanted to spend my time. The more I saw I had enough money to spend my time the way I wanted, the easier it became to focus on RE. :)

More than a few former co-workers and clients are surprised that I have not gotten back into work... so perhaps they saw me more as the workaholic type. :)

I was a workaholic for the first 25 years of my career, but less and less for years 26-35. Served me very, very well.

Back
Top Bottom