"World-class colonoscopy"

Thanks folks.....even I (having low standards like I do) thought it was fairly disgusting to bring up that last topic. Ended up calling the hospital just to double check..... they said about the same thing as you did. I sure don't want them to tell me I have to do it all again though........

Thanks folks.....even I (having low standards like I do) thought it was fairly disgusting to bring up that last topic. Ended up calling the hospital just to double check..... they said about the same thing as you did. I sure don't want them to tell me I have to do it all again though........

Be sure to come back and let us know how you got on.

The drink is not obnoxious at all these days.
I think I mixed with gator aid. It was just an over the counter flush out you buy at walmart and a softener. No big deal at all. They've come a long way with this procedure.
Nothing to it and your back to what ever you like the next day.
Its really just the thoughts that hurt. All in your imagination.
Get on with life.
I would choose a day at the end of week, if you work.
Have a nice weekend and back to what ever you like doing.
This is actually over kill but will make you more confident and relaxed.
Have a good rimming,:D
Steve

The preparation will all be behind you after a few hours.

So weird that people are doing "cleanses" for fun, without the colonoscopy, too.

This thread needs to be cross-referenced in Wednesday Weight Loss, as it is a mighty effective appetitite suppressant.

So weird that people are doing "cleanses" for fun, without the colonoscopy, too.

This thread needs to be cross-referenced in Wednesday Weight Loss, as it is a mighty effective appetitite suppressant.

Well, we might need pictures for that.:D
Steve

I recently saw an add " Enema Nurse will wear high heels and garter belt "

As I said - I have had 2 colonoscopies - I'm a believer :)

My post was really to point out that a check-up every 10 years is not sufficient, and those annual fecal occult blood tests are just as important imo. (I believe that if no polyps are found then the frequency is every 10 years).

When the doc finished my scope, he said everything was fine and plan to come back anywhere between 5 and 10 years. I laughed and told him not to count on me opting for the 5 year plan.

Here you go, hopefully this will get you in the mood.

Eezy peezy. The 1.5 hr wait in my room was just plain boring. Drugs were just so-so but I still didn't really feel all that much of anything. Could have walked out as soon as I got back to the room. 1 polyp all the way to the end. I pretty well finished another Jack Reacher book while I was there. Looks like I am a whole lot better off than my mom was. Paying for the service here is sure better than waiting for it.

Here you go, hopefully this will get you in the mood.

Brilliant video :LOL: - That is the NHS version of drug used in the procedure.

Eezy peezy. The 1.5 hr wait in my room was just plain boring. Drugs were just so-so but I still didn't really feel all that much of anything. Could have walked out as soon as I got back to the room. 1 polyp all the way to the end. I pretty well finished another Jack Reacher book while I was there. Looks like I am a whole lot better off than my mom was. Paying for the service here is sure better than waiting for it.

You know that multiple polyps could mean problems, but one polyp only means that the next boat payment is only 3 years away. :cool:

Pleased to hear that it all went okay for you.

I'm on the clear liquid diet today in preparation for a colonoscopy tomorrow (Monday) morning at 6:30am. I'll be taking OsmoPrep pills from 6pm-10pm this evening to purge my bowel. Mine is a routine follow-up colonoscopy to look for signs of recurrence of the rectal cancer I was treated for 5 years ago (and which was detected by a colonscopy). The odds of a recurrence at 5 years are low, and I'm not worried about it. <knocks on wood>

Having done it once now a couple of weeks ago.....won't put it off next time I think it is due.....just not much of a hassle.

Interesting, but I wouldn't be tempted in the slightest to wait. The new test is said to miss 14% of cancers and have a 10% false positive rate. But even if it was perfect, it's not yet available, and a cancer in your colon is not going to wait. Once it gets into your lymphatic system, chances of survival decrease considerably.

I just got back from the hospital -- in at 6:30am and out at 9:00am. The procedure itself takes only about 15 minutes.

Interesting, but I wouldn't be tempted in the slightest to wait. The new test is said to miss 14% of cancers and have a 10% false positive rate.
Then it may be nearly twice as sensitive than a conventional colonocopy. According to the info at this link, conventional colonoscopies miss 27% of polyps smaller than 5mm, 13% of polyps 5-9MM, and 6% of polyups larger than 10mm (sic). The overall miss rate for conventional colonoscopies is 24%. Yes, it does have a very low false positive rate, so a conventional colonoscopy might be a good "backup" if the new test indicates a positive finding.

Are you deducing the miss rate for cancers from the miss rate for polyps?
"Opps", yes I was, I looks like conventional colonoscopies miss approximately 4 percent of cancers.

Factoid: Each cancer death prevented by colonoscopies costs about $400,000 in medical costs.

Factoid: Each cancer death prevented by colonoscopies costs about $400,000 in medical costs.
That's sort of ambiguous. Does it mean that when someone fails to die of cancer that curative or maintenance treatment for that survivor costs $400,000?

That's sort of ambiguous. Does it mean that when someone fails to die of cancer that curative or maintenance treatment for that survivor costs $400,000?
No, it means that it costs $400,000 to buy enough colonoscopies to prevent a single cancer death (that is, to catch the tumor early enough to prevent a death from cancer that would have occurred had the tests not been given).

The average cost for a colonoscopy is about $3100. So, that $400,000 buys about 130 colonoscopies. That's apparently the number that it takes to find a cancer and prevent a cancer death that would otherwise have occurred.

Rich in Tampa provided some interesting information (NOT medical advice!) on colonoscopies here and here.

The average cost for a colonoscopy is about $3100. So, that $400,000 buys about 130 colonoscopies. That's apparently the number that it takes to find a cancer and prevent a cancer death that would otherwise have occurred.
I suppose that may be the sticker price, though it seems very high for that too. But I doubt any insurance company pays that, and certainly Medicare doesn't.

Ha

I suppose that may be the sticker price, though it seems very high for that too. But I doubt any insurance company pays that, and certainly Medicare doesn't.

Ha
According to this site, Medicare pays less than $500 for a colonoscopy.

Many of the government-paid programs utilize more economical equipment.

bottom.jpg

Where I live, the physician fee for a simple colonoscopy is $176, if there is a biopsy it goes up to $185, and if a polyp is removed it's $271 CDN.

Back
Top Bottom