Would I be able to ask for some advice please.

PS They also often filter for positive attitude. You had best check and keep most of the negativity to yourself.

If that comes through in person you will likely have a problem advancing.

How very true!
I see this 'tude a lot in Gen Y. They haven't seen the depths of a recession yet, poor dears!
But they will.

Random hard work is not guaranteed to get you what you want. In that you are correct. However hard work in a rotating assignment entry program is likely to get you noticed....
Other things that got me noticed were standing up for myself when, as OP said "I was treated like a piece of crap" and later standing up for my trainee who was horribly abused. I let my interests show, it's hard to believe now, as I appear to be computer-illiterate, but in the '80s I got ahold of every computer manual I could find and devoured it. Personnel noticed and tried to find relevant jobs for me. I also found it helpful to let my cultural interests show which made for good water cooler talk and I believe that is what got me my last and best job.

Last edited:
Random hard work is not guaranteed to get you what you want. In that you are correct. However hard work in a rotating assignment entry program is likely to get you noticed. Why do you think they have those programs? Further once you are "inside" in the rotation program, you can go find the small corp of folks doing exactly what you want and volunteer to help them too. That hard work will pay off hugely.

If all else fails, you are back to your previous plan of going back to school and this job disappears off the end of your resume. No harm no foul. But if you really do make the most of it, these are the kinds of programs that are used to find the true rising stars and get them into senior positions beyond their years.

PS They also often filter for positive attitude. You had best check and keep most of the negativity to yourself. I'm taking a leap of faith to continue to contribute positive suggestions here, but I'm pretty turned off by your posts. If that comes through in person you will likely have a problem advancing.

I don't know sometimes they just put you and that's where you stay to my knowledge. Advancing in the admin is not likely to get you the skills to advance to and investigative or research officer position. There will be heaps of other people that want the same job who are better qualified so you never will have a shot. You end up stuck. That is how I've been told it works.

So I can either accept what could be a lower position and the fact I will probably be there forever or go back to school. I'll study off campus and eventually go back full time in anycase. But I dunno if it is possible to move up or not.

Its not a matter of me not wanting to work hard it is a matter of could I do better by making a different decision. Unfortunately people do get granted better positions because of their level of education which is the reality I face. This is not just a job this is the start of a career. I've worked bad jobs before I got nothing against them. This has got nothing to do with me not wanting to get my hands dirty. I'm trying to make sure I don't completely sabotage my future ambitions.

Very easy to make a big impression if you far outclass the position. Diamond in the dung as it were.

You are exactly right. Whatever position you take will let you work as hard as you want and never advance you. We are all just planning to take advantage and keep you down. Better go back to school and get some more degrees. Only when you have enough schooling will the world recognize the wisdom of giving you what you want without you having to work for it. Until then, we are all against giving you what you think you deserve. While you are at it, please stay a long time and get a couple extra degrees.

You are exactly right. Whatever position you take will let you work as hard as you want and never advance you. We are all just planning to take advantage and keep you down. Better go back to school and get some more degrees. Only when you have enough schooling will the world recognize the wisdom of giving you what you want without you having to work for it. Until then, we are all against giving you what you think you deserve. While you are at it, please stay a long time and get a couple extra degrees.

Well it has been suggested by someone not on this forum who has had many years experience in the public service that it might be a better idea to go back to school and get a further qualification so that I can improve my ranking on the merit list. See I am trying to think about it logically in examining the skills I might acquire against the skills i will need in my future job. You guys are depending on the idea that a person should work hard.

i don't understand why people are being so snotty with this guy. After all, he does want to work. We ahve had plenty of young people with the steriling ambition to get some money and retire as soon as possible.

I haven't read the thread closely enough to figure it out, but if I werre OP I would get away from this forum, which is clearly most interested in running him down.

As to old people dissing genY, they are nuts. GenY has faced strong competition from the get-go, something many of us older boomers and pre-boomers never did. Don't forget, GenY, at least in America is currently fighting 2 wars, paying exhorbitant school tuition, and all the while trying to deal with the fat boomer butts sitting on their heads.

Ha

Ausaus, I looked back read your first post on this forum posted last December (http://www.early-retirement.org/for...-non-retirement-related-32067.html#post592934). You were interested in people's advice on whether you should get an engineering degree, as you had studied economics and "did poorly" (your words).

Given that (and considering you chose not to pursue the engineering degree), if I were you I would be very very grateful to have been offered the program you are in. I would stay with it at least a year or two to see how it develops and how I developed within it. You might find you love some area within the program that is only peripherally related to your background, and then you could build on that with further study.

Good luck to you--your supervisors will notice your hard work!

Back
Top Bottom