50 worst songs ever

() said:
Hmm, and I thought a couple of these were okay when I was a teenager...
With what, some 25,000 different classic pop & rock tunes, I think they nailed it. Even Meatloaf would have to agree.

I can see the scene in a VH1 office now: "OK, Johnson, you barely passed your employee performance review so we're gonna give you one more chance. Put together this list of 'The 50 Worst Songs Ever.' You have to personally listen to every one of the candidates and rank them in order of, well, rankness. And don't screw this up or we'll make you do the same thing with the disco era!"

I just had to check to see if Sussudio was on the list.

Yup.

Bpp

I would like to nominate Hansen's mmmbop song

Dave Berry, in his book on bad songs (don't remember the official title--might be "Dave Berry's Book of Bad Songs") insists that the worst song of all-time is MacArthur Park. (and why was the cake left out in the rain in the first place?) Also, surely "Horse with No Name" deserves to be on there somewhere!

"Loving you" by Minnie Riperton, ugh, the screach that peeled the paint off of cars across the ghetto. :p

For the record, Wang Chung ROCKS and this is a travesty! Come on, everybody Wang Chung tonight!

Laurence said:
"Loving you" by Minnie Riperton, ugh, the screach that peeled the paint off of cars across the ghetto.  :p

For the record, Wang Chung ROCKS and this is a travesty!  Come on, everybody Wang Chung tonight!

Yeah, I kind of liked Wang Chung too, but when I found my beloved Crash Test Dummies on the list............well that really burned my toast. :)

JG

bosco said:
Dave Berry, in his book on bad songs (don't remember the official title--might be "Dave Berry's Book of Bad Songs") insists that the worst song of all-time is MacArthur Park.  (and why was the cake left out in the rain in the first place?)  Also, surely "Horse with No Name" deserves to be on there somewhere!

I agree. Both should have made the list!

JG

LOL I liked a good many of those songs... but they left off one really all time bad one. Midnight at the Oasis .. I think that won worst song of the year back then.

Outtahere said:
LOL I liked a good many of those songs... but they left off one really all time bad one.  Midnight at the Oasis .. I think that won worst song of the year back then.

Maria Muldar (sp?) ...right?

JG

My negative gut-level reaction to every insipid yellow ribbon outbreak (including the current one) can be traced back to 1973.  I was a busboy at the local greek-owned seafood, prime rib, and heart-attack restaurant.  The kitchen staff had refined musical tastes.  Several times a shift, over and over...

With any luck, I have now injected this into your brain, where it will bounce around for weeks.  Maybe this will exorcise my demons.

Yes that's her... send your camel to bed Maria Muldaur LOL

tozz said:
My negative gut-level reaction to every insipid yellow ribbon outbreak (including the current one) can be traced back to 1973. I was a busboy at the local greek-owned seafood, prime rib, and heart-attack restaurant. The kitchen staff had refined musical tastes. Several times a shift, over and over...

With any luck, I have now injected this into your brain, where it will bounce around for weeks. Maybe this will exorcise my demons.

Because of the consequences, this song which shall not be named is truly the worst of all time. Number two is MacArthur Park. The screeching "oh no" at leaving the cake in the rain is the most painful moment. Far worse than Minnie Riperton's "oohs."

Midnight at the Oasis isn't so bad if you don't listen to the words.

Back in 1973, if someone asked me to describe Tony Orlando and Dawn in one word, "diabolical" probably would not come to mind.

How little did I know.

Martha said:
Because of the consequences, this song which shall not be named is truly the worst of all time. 

Excuse my obsessiveness, but this song has really scarred me emotionally.  Every time I see one of those yellow ribbon magnet things on the back of a car, the song, unbidden, pops into my brain.  And it won't leave.

It's bad enough hearing the song, but can you imagine what would happen after singing it 4,348 times?  "On July 22, 1977, at the South Shore Music Circus in Cohasset, Massachusetts, Tony shocked the crowd...He suffered a nervous breakdown on stage and spend the next six months in a New York psychiatric hospital."

Serves him right.

Outtahere said:
Yes that's her... send your camel to bed Maria Muldaur LOL

I seem to remember that after some of her more suggestive recordings (remember "Feel my Thigh"?) Ms. Muldaur became a Christian and decided that her earlier music was evil. So tried to get the label to stop releasing it. They informed her that she did not have the rights to it, rather that they did, and that they were obligated to continue paying her royalties for the evil stuff she had formerly spewed.

So she announced she would donate all the proceeds to charity.

I don't know if she's since recanted. But I did see a compilation of children's music by her in the public library.

I guess we should let sleeping camels lie.... ::)

Now we're talking!  Pump me full of enough psychotropics, place a glass of bourbon in one hand, a Camel in the other, prop me up in front of the karioke machine, and I'll serenade you all.  For hours if you'd like.

Martha said:
Xanax, tozz.

Martha said:
I trust that you mean the cigarette.

yes, but in that case taking camels to bed can be a fire hazard...

Back
Top Bottom