A few things to be grateful for

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Things to be grateful for
1. We made it through the storm without losing power
2. Watched the Intern last night - (Robert Deniro) IMHO a great Capra- Esk type of movie that there are never enough of. There is a scene in the move where 70 year old Deniro is asked a 'canned question' by a young interviewer "Where do you see yourself in ten years" Deniro says you mean when I'm 80? The interviewer says let's forget I asked that.
3. Enjoyed a great simple meal of low carb pasta with clam sauce.
4. Snow blowed the driveway twice and taught son and had him do it the third time.
5. My new knee didn't complain after

Best of all
6. It is 7:35AM and the old dog just came downstairs and is sleeping by the fire. She hasn't asked to go out yet.
7. The sun is shining and it is not snowing... It is a balmy 18 degrees out.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum.

Last edited:
1. We were together for this storm. We blew the snow off twice also, with DS providing a major contribution.

2. That I'm young and healthy enough to enjoy being out in the snow.

3. Went outside in the quiet before snow removal activities kicked in, and saw the crazy beauty of the wind sculpted snow.

4. I'm grateful for not having to work through this. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453648791.936014.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1453648879.108272.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

So many more than a few. Hope everyone in the storms path came through ok and managed to see the beauty of Mother Nature amongst the turmoil as the above posters did.

1. Grateful that I'm spending time with my two grown boys in Tampa for a couple of weeks.
2. That I could still enjoy working out with them last night.
3. For the menudo we're about to consume.
4. That my boys are interested in pooling resources to invest in order to benefit the family.

I'm grateful that the sun is shining brightly, the new-fallen snow is still gleaming white, and the day is beautiful. I'm also grateful that I was able to talk to a good number of my neighbors while we were all out shoveling snow together. I very much enjoy my street and the people who live on it.

EastWest Gal: We had a snow cornice on our porch roof just like yours. I knocked it off with the shovel so that it wouldn't pull the gutter down.

I'm grateful that yesterday I raked 1/2 the leaves off the front and back lawn and today will finish raking and mow before the first playoff game is on the tube. :D

I sure don't miss the snow up north when living in Connecticut. I do miss the fall colors and the hills though.

I'm grateful to be retired, enjoying a nice winter with no yard work, and starting week 5 of marathon training without a glitch.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Above all (you knew it!) I'm grateful to be retired and living next door to my sweetie. I am so grateful to have Frank in my life. He is everything to me.

But also, I am thankful for many other things.

For example, I was finally able to get a couple of truly gargantuan dead water oaks removed from my yard earlier this month. The fierce winds a couple of days ago knocked down a number of trees in my neighborhood, and I saw the residents of those houses out with chainsaws. Not me. :D Whew! Plus, no roof damage either, no street blockage responsibilities to deal with, and no neighborhood wide electrical outages due to breaking of the big electrical lines that one was enmeshed with.

I am thankful that despite a sort of brief meltdown + overeating binge last week, I didn't gain any weight. So now I can get right back to healthy eating with no setback.

I am grateful to be able to SEE so beautifully after my cataract surgery, when several of my relatives were totally blinded from complications of cataract surgery in the early 20th century. The state of the art has advanced phenomenally since then.

I am grateful that my portfolio drop is not enough to scare me (yet).

Gosh, there is so much more! This is enough typing for now, though.

Currently in Alaska, and woke up in the middle of the night to the building swaying more than I've ever experienced before (and I've lived in California).
USGS said it was 7.1 but far enough away from me that there was no real damage or injury that I know of. Very grateful just to be here this morning.

Currently in Alaska, and woke up in the middle of the night to the building swaying more than I've ever experienced before (and I've lived in California).

USGS said it was 7.1 but far enough away from me that there was no real damage or injury that I know of. Very grateful just to be here this morning.

The epicenter wasn't too far from Anchorage was it? I was close to the epicenter of the Loma Prieta quake. Knocked us to the ground. It's very scary when the ground under you behaves like a bucking bronco. I'm glad you made out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Saw it on tv - whole lotta shakin goin on

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Like rayinpenn, we didn't lose power, nary a flicker of the lights. DW's brother works in a power plant, is there now, and probably will be for a couple more days. Even if he did get off he can't go home because the street he lives on hasn't been plowed yet. DW's sister's hubby is retired from a power company and my father was a power company lineman at one time. Whatever they're paid, they work for it!

Sure glad I'm retired!

We have a full pantry and refrigerator, the furnace fan is blowing warm air, and the roof didn't collapse.

I'm grateful that we have a very wimpy winter here in MN this year. Of course we still may get hammered any time up to May but the worst of the winter time period is almost over. It is going to be near 40 this week--unbelievable.
I'm grateful for my cat who is a tough old geezer at age 17, even with diabetes. Still loves his food and treats.

It's above freezing today. Woo-hoo! And, although the cable company accidentally cut the gas line yesterday, by the time they got the gas back on temps in the house had dropped only 3 degrees.

I'm grateful that we have a very wimpy winter here in MN this year. Of course we still may get hammered any time up to May but the worst of the winter time period is almost over. It is going to be near 40 this week--unbelievable.

That's right, this is the nadir week for temperatures, the days are definitely getting longer and and I can actually feel the warmth of the sun when it is out. And we've barely had any snow on the ground this year. Fingers crossed!

GMC 4x4 Pickup truck.

Lucky for you!

The Great Alaska Earthquake of 1964

I'm thankful that my ancestors chose to move to the warm South in 1810.

And I'm thankful that Friday's snow stayed 1 hour north, and that we've been very fortunate with bad weather avoiding our county recently.

We have about 7 weeks of "cold weather" facing us, but daily highs are pushing 50 degrees so heavy coats are seldom required. Now if we can keep the sun out, cabin fever won't be so bad and for that we're truly thankful.

Back
Top Bottom