About "The Villages" in Florida

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
A number of postings have mentioned or referenced "The Villages" in Central Florida. As unusual as it is, it seems that many have not heard about this retirement community, or do not realize how big and how unusual this extended senior gated community really is.
When we first visited it, in 1991, it was called "Orange Blossom Gardens", and had a total of 950 homes and one golf course.
Posted for your interest (and amazement). :)

Attachments

• FUN FACTS ABOUT THE VILLAGES.pdf
    166.1 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Lots of interesting info on The Villages with which I was not familiar.

One item I didn't see listed was the rate of increase in STDs :nonono:

"In Central Florida, where The Villages and other retirement communities sprawl across several counties, reported cases of syphilis and chlamydia increased 71 percent among those 55 and older.... And South Florida saw a 60 percent rise in those two sexually transmitted infections among the same age group, according to the Florida Department of Health."

Seniors STDs rise: Seniors STDs rise with active sex lives - Orlando Sentinel

omni

I guess we can discuss it again and post the pros and cons, but there has been numerous threads on this forum regarding The Villages. I checked and Wiki indicated the census from a couple years ago showed over 51000 residents. It's getting to be a big city. Maybe lots to do but very busy place from what I have heard.

The Fun Facts was fun to read, okay, skim. Thanks for sharing that. DH and I visited The Villages last September (and i posted a few photos). It is one of those places you must see to believe.

The build out going on at that time was amazing in and of itself. Although, I doubt very seriously DH and I will buy there, part of us would like to. We do talk about renting a place in TV for a couple months.

Very interesting article. Maybe this is what happens when a community such as this gets too big. We live in Sun City Center, FL., a much smaller "city" of retirees with about 21000 residents. Almost everyone has a golf cart and we drive them legally on the city streets within the community. Not on the highways but we can cross the highways. Our town straddles State Rt 674, a four lane divided, limited access highway and we have access to both sides of that road at two designated traffic lights. A WalMart was built on an adjoining piece of land. To get there by golf cart, the county/state granted Sun City Center residents access to WalMart by installing a traffic light at a designated crossing.

As far as I know, there has never been an accident involving a vehicle and a golf cart. Keeping my fingers crossed.

....As far as I know, there has never been an accident involving a vehicle and a golf cart. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My parents, aunt/uncle and some family friend live in SCC and I have visited there frequently. Given some of the driving i have seen while visiting there, I am amazed there hasn't been a vehicle/golf cart accident, but like you, I have never seen or heard of such an accident.

In the mid 1990s a fellow chief of police from Cape Cod retired to the Villages. He eventually sold (before the bubble burst) and moved back to the Cape. He told me the place got too crowded for him.

In the mid 1990s a fellow chief of police from Cape Cod retired to the Villages. He eventually sold (before the bubble burst) and moved back to the Cape. He told me the place got too crowded for him.

I'm worried about New Mexico being too crowded when I move there after retirement, so the size of these retirement places totally blows me away!

I've been there a few times-my uncle lives very near by. It's not for me. Too crowded for me. If you're the type that likes being around a lot of people then this is a good place for you. I don't like waiting an hour to sit in a crowded restaurant. I prefer a much more laid-back lifestyle.

What odd timing for this thread.

We were planning to go to The Villages last April for our 1st visit when I had to have emergency surgery. We rescheduled for the end of August, but have recently decided to move back to NV instead (there is a separate thread on this topic).

With the IRS ruling against The Villages owner and now the 'uprising,' it's oddly co-incidental that we've decided against even going to check it out.

Evidently, women are extremely safe drivers when there are no men around to distract them! :LOL::D:rolleyes:

Amethyst

7:1 female-to-male ratio at the Villages.

Given some of the driving i have seen while visiting there, I am amazed there hasn't been a vehicle/golf cart accident, but like you, I have never seen or heard of such an accident.

Back
Top Bottom