Air Beds for Guest use

Lakewood90712

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone use one ? Seeing under $ 75 including pomp. seems too good to be true. How are they as a matress ( comfortr ) ?

I used one when preping a house for sale,
They work, but it's far from a regular bed, however far better than sleeping on the floor.

I had mine, a double as I bought it for camping.
In a house, where I'd expect the bed to be there for a decade or two, I'd go with a real mattress (cheap one) for guests.

You shouldn't have to worry about guests staying too long. Not a comfortable sleep IMO. And hard to get up from. Good for the grandkids though.

I slept on one for about a week after Katrina, (or after Rita? I forget). I thought it was wonderful compared with sleeping on a couch. This was a queen sized air mattress, higher than most, with a built in pump, that F had purchased at Wal-Mart.

I think that is a good solution for guests, if you don't have them frequently enough to justify devoting a whole room to being a guest bedroom.

They work OK for overflow use, but the longevity is poor. We have gone through several in the past 5 years. (These are the cheap ones from Walmart.) We would use them when the house got full at Thanksgiving, or when a group of friends comes in for a football game. You always need to pump them up ahead of time in case one of them no longer holds air overnight.

We have three of them. They are queen size beds with a built in pump that we bought at Costco for $99. We use them for guests, when there are more than four visiting at the same time. They are pretty comfortable. We also bought one for our condo in Florida and used it for about 3 weeks while waiting for our new furniture to arrive. The are not bad. We have used it for guests at our condo and had no complaints.

We got a couple of air mattresses similar to these. They fold up into a thick suitcase shape, and automatically unfold when you need them. We use them for the grandkids when there are more guests than beds. We also used them for awhile when we sold our old house and put all the furniture in storage during the staging time frame. And then we used them after we got the new place and before our new beds were delivered. By themselves they are pretty comfortable, but DW has a bad back and it wasn't working for her. But add a 3" memory foam pad and it's as good as most beds.

I also use a double height air mattress with a memory foam pad when I do my biannual old guys camping trip. Between the company, the campfire, and the whiskey, it tends to be one of my best sleeps of the year.

We put a queen size air mattress on ou hide-a-bed frame for overflow. It works well.

The hide-a-bed mattress was old and flimsy and the air mattress on top does the trick.

I have a couple of them for use by young adults and kids. They usually last about five years or so ( but my wife's cat did wreck one in a month ). I wouldn't recommended one for us old geezers though, as they are hard to get out. I've had the best luck with Aerobed (make sure you register it). Another thing I noticed was, that if you don't put a blanket, or some sort of insulator between the person and the mattress it's almost impossible to stay warm.

Like others have stated, they're much better than the floor, but not as good as a bed. I had one at DS's house that I slept on. After a couple visits I went to the local mattress store and bought a bed for his guest room. Air mattresses are best used if there is one for each person.

We have had several. Best was not just a mattress on the floor. It actually formed a raised surface and had the built in pump that both inflated and deflated it quickly.
Think I got it a Menards for $50 or so. It seems to keep most of the air overnight as well.

I had one that had the built in pump and a smaller, "quite", pump that topped off the mattress throughout the night. It worked well. Problem is it developed a leak just like every other air mattress I have had. They are far from durable.

We had a couple of them at our snowbird condo. Worked great when we had guest overflow and when we got hardwood floors and had to move all furniture out.

We used one, cost about $120.00 (but don't ask me which make, as I don't remember) when we moved to our FL house and were waiting for household belongings. It was comfortable enough. We are old, but didn't have any more problem getting up than from any other bed. You just sit up and swing legs out, like any other bed. The bed inflates quickly, using a plug-in motor.

Pretty much all these beds will gradually lose air. We had a cheaper one, years ago, that would be practically flat by the time we were ready to get up! And they don't age well. Seals lose their sealiness.

We have a sleeper sofa by Ethan Allen that converts to a queen bed with an air mattress. Very comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom