Alright, whats the deal with 'manufactured' homes.

A view of the pond from about 100' in front of the house. The road pictured is the driveway, which winds up to the right and back around to the home.

img_478244_0_9f7621c1562757b79821d4180fa6c9db.jpg

Lake Bunny:

img_478244_1_01e70e4e7e9b5e0f7837694b4775cdb7.jpg

So what are the schools like? Are there kids around for Gabe to play with? Does the pond algae up in the summer? Or can you swim in it? Will Gabe be able to wander around by himself as he gets older? I grew up in the country and we wandered all over the place relatively safely and had to go quite aways to meet up with other kids. I wonder whether Gabe would be able to do that, if not, he is not going to be having much fun as he gets older trapped at home with mom and dad. Will he be able to get on a bike and ride?

You can misquito biscuit the pond. I certainly wouldn't fill it in. There are different dangers in the country for kids, you just teach them about the dangers. My BIL has five kids and lives on a river. The kids learned fast not to go into the river until they could swim well. Now they all swim like fish.

Cross posted with you--the land sure is pretty.
I would worry more about these things than the house. My hunch is that the house will take more ongoing maintenance than a stick built home. I assume it is on a permanent foundation? What is the insulation like?

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Bosco...good data...thats what I was looking for. I've got a pair of pretty good inspectors, both home builders and one (my BIL) lives in a manufactured home but other than that doesnt have a lot of experience with them. The other does.

in a more general way, you want to check 2 general categories:

1) workmanship of the modules. Should be ok if a good company.

2) anything that is done on-site that is in a different sequence than it would be in conventional construction. You are checking for on-site crews that are new at this type of construction or in too big of a hurry. Hence problems with how the units are set on foundations etc. The modules are likely delivered with rough openings in which windows and doors are installed on-site (setting a module with windows already in seems risky). Therefore look at how these are trimmed out and that it is done in a workmanlike manner. Although this is the same order as a conventional building, the details might be different than what is usually observed. The rough openings may have varied more due to distress during placing the units, and here may be shenanigans making things fit (this was the case in the house I had).

Your home builder should be very useful, and can look for things that are covered up.

The house I had was the first one I had bought near the beginning of my career. It was an FHA program for "starter homes" and I bought it from someone I knew FSBO. That was my first mistake. Psychologically harder to deal with people you know in the due-diligence department. I've oftened wondered why I didn't accord myself the same quality of inspection that I did for people at the time professionally....

ultimately, the problems I had were minor, and I made a decent profit when I sold it.

Martha said:
So what are the schools like?

Martha brings up some good points. How far away are the schools? In our area (20+ miles from schools) the kids have to catch the bus around 6:15 AM and don't get home until after 4:15. Makes for a very long day, especially for the very young ones.

You can always take them to school, but that's gonna put some serious miles on your Lexus. ;)

The area public schools are excellent...way better than where we live now, and compared to where we live now, there are a boatload of excellent pre and private school options. I would have pretty much have no option but to send him to a mediocre private school here. Public schools there are worth considering. While this area is a bit 'woodsy', its only a short drive to a couple of thousand multi million dollar homes and all the infrastructure those typically carry with it. I'd probably be driving him to a private school here thats about 10 miles away. Longer drive there but the same effect.

Do you guys actually think my wife lets me drive that Lexus? I only get it when its out of gas. ;)

He'd have a lot of area to wander and things to poke at, at least from a 'woodsy' perspective. Since he and Ted are practically inseparable these days, I wouldnt be terribly concerned about his safety from small to medium size woodland beasties. Its about six miles of back road to get out to a main road...lots of territory for mountain biking right around the area. Not sure about other kids, but given the weak density there probably arent many. That having been said, we just had one neighbor with four kids move out of our existing little circle and two more are looking to move this year...which will leave the circle with just a bunch of retired people, no kids.

Crime is very low in the region, whereas its moderately high where we are and theres a lot of gang activity. One of my neighbors thats moving is leaving because he took his kids to soccer practice last summer and a gang fight between about 75 guys broke out in the elementary school parking lot :p

Not sure about the ponds swimmability or what happens with it in the high heat summer. I'm betting its not swimmable and isnt someting you'd want to be downwind of in june/july/august.

All good things to consider. thanks for all the input.

This afternoon we're looking at two manufactured homes with big acreage and two older stick built homes on a measly couple of acres each. Two are close to each other in the 'woodsy' area, two are about 10 miles away more in a suburban/large lot area not far from the highway and serious civilization.

The biggest hitch in all of this is that while these properties are barely commutable for my wife, she'll want to find a new job closer to home. She's worked the same place for 11 years, so that'll be a big change, but she says she's feeling adventurous. Then I'll have to roll over her 403b and we'll have to arrange for new health care, but since she'll be working at a hospital or health care group, at least thats probably an easy one.

Not sure what state you are in, but its very likely there are both state and federal laws that would make it very hard (read impossible) to legally fill-in a wetland like that. Do it illegally and you could find yourself in a heap of trouble...I wouldn't even think about it. If bugs are a problem, get some ducks to patrol the area.

Not sure how far it is from your house, but if you are worried about drownings, there are devices that you can buy that attach to your child (like a wristwatch that won't come off) and a base unit at the house that will sound a load alarm when it gets wet - we used one for a while when the back pol was under construction and not fenced it yet. Yes, it went off a few times.

A good unit isn't cheap - if you buy one, this isn't a place to save money anyway.

Looks like a pretty spot in the country. I live in the middle of a very big parcel myself and can't imagine under any circumstances going back to a small lot.

Buckeye said:
Is that a plunger to the right of the tub? Why is it readily available?

I keep a plunger next to both of my toilettes...sure beats needing one and not having one available.

Beats the awkward situation I encountered many years back where a prospective mother in law cracked open my guest bath door with her pants half off yelling that she needed a plunger RIGHT NOW!

Good point to make sure the septic is taking a good drain and isnt a case where its not been pumped for 12 years and the leech lines are blocked. Otherwise the only thing to worry about is too much TP or as has been explained to me, a GI Joe thats become an undersea diver...

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Crime is very low in the region, whereas its moderately high where we are and theres a lot of gang activity. One of my neighbors thats moving is leaving because he took his kids to soccer practice last summer and a gang fight between about 75 guys broke out in the elementary school parking lot :p

Fuzzy: Regardless of where you eventually buy, in my opinion, especially with a youngster in tow, getting out of Yuba City is a step in the right direction.

Yes, the more I am hearing about Yuba City, the more I think it is time for the bunny to leave.

Are you going to check out southern California too? Though that would put you far from the grandparents.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Beats the awkward situation I encountered many years back where a prospective mother in law cracked open my guest bath door with her pants half off yelling that she needed a plunger RIGHT NOW!

Oh my eyes! I'm blind! :LOL: :LOL:

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:

It's time to leave dude.

This may seem off the wall, but check with your local police department to see if that property has ever been a cause of concern. Oft times drug mfgs/dealers rent or otherwise occupy homes in a rural area. The residue of their manufacturing activity can be deadly.

Martha said:
Yes, the more I am hearing about Yuba City, the more I think it is time for the bunny to leave.

Are you going to check out southern California too? Though that would put you far from the grandparents.

I've lived in Calif. all my life. Inland So. Calif. has all the problems (actually more so) than where "Fuzzy" is currently living, and with a helluva lot more congestion, both on the freeways and use of infrastructure.

I left there 20 years ago, and I know it hasn't got any better. ;)

There are areas in So. Calif. that come to mind, (smaller coastal communities), Like Newport Beach, Laguna Beach, Manhatten Beach, etc. etc. where you can get away with a low crime rate, but the cost of admission is really, really high, and you still have to put up with very crowded condidtions, besides springing for minimum of $l,000,000.00 for not that much of a home.

I think Fuzzy's in the right end of the state for raising a youngster, but he can do better than Yuba City.

The reality of So. Calif. doesn't live up to the fantasy in my opinion.

Looks wonderful, I can see why you are looking.

My thought are along the lines of others re: Gabe and making friends nearby - but if you are going to make the move, make it now. My parents moved when I was 11 and I was extremely upset about it, lost many friends and 7th grade royally sucked.

I know you love to cook, but are there nearby amenities? Trader Joe's? Resturants above the level of Applebee's? Theater ( not cinema)? Art houses? What's the political landscape? My parents have a nice little summer home in Colorado, but the area has a White Supremacist following nearby. :p

What's the Crystal Meth situation like? I know Gabe is a decade away from having a jerk "friend" offer him some speed, but it's really been a scurge of small town America.

Don't mind me, I figure you have plenty of reasons why you like the place, I'm just playing devil's advocate. My friends who moved to Fallbrook are in heaven.

Leonidas said:
Oh my eyes! I'm blind! :LOL: :LOL:

It was a very awkward moment for both of us, to be sure...

It's time to leave dude.

Yeah, I was happy with the area when prices were shooting up and all the crappy homes were getting knocked down for new subdivisions, the big box retailers started moving in, things seemed to be headed up. Then prices reeled backwards about 30%, the building stopped, foreclosures started cropping up, and things started going the wrong direction.

I think I threw in the towel when the city council met to discuss the benefits of a $10M downtown revival project including $5000 palm trees...the day after a fatal drive-by shooting occurred on the same downtown main street area.

"Hey look! What great stores and restaurants and what nice trees! Lets go look at..." *BANG*BANG*BANG*.

Swell.

We looked at socal. Its inviting but a huge change of venue. My wife couldnt continue to temporarily commute to her old job, we'd have to haul three big dogs and three cats in the car for 10 hours...and one of the dogs is a very nervous stray we took in thats only been in a car once, when I picked him up in my wifes old back yard and threw all 120lbs of him into the back of my suv.

Plus as jarhead mentions, theres plenty of crime down that way, especially in the less expensive areas.

Laurence - theres every single retailer and big box store you can imagine within a 20-30 minute drive...costco, trader joes, several high end supermarkets, circuit city, best buy, lowes, etc. All I have where I am now is a sams club, a home depot, a lowes, super walmart and a grocery store. Its a big plus to move.

There is some meth stuff going on around the region, but thats frickin everywhere now.

Fallbrook looked pretty good, and the in-town hospital was even hiring. But only for night shift and she'd have to do that for 2-3 years until a day shift opening showed up. Tough to drag all our stuff and critters that far.

really nice. does gabe get a pony? i'm pretty sure if dad had 10 acres i'd be pushing for a pony.

Oh, I've given up on pushing Fallbrook on you specifically, but I just meant a similar change of venue.

Oh, and if anyone tries to sell you on the wonders of Ramona, politely nod and back away. The gas station on main street has a cardboard sign that reads, "We pump yer gas!".

I think it's a clear winner over your curren situation. Having a little difficulty with the manufactured home, but that's just a hairball. ;)

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
My wife couldnt continue to temporarily commute to her old job

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
My wife can quit working the 2-3 days a week she's currently putting in any time she wishes, but loves the job and would like to continue for a while.

So, maybe it's time for her to retire? What's wrong with that...

Big "problem" is that its sort of out-of-the-way which would suck for a daily commuter but isnt bad for a retiree with a part time working spouse.

I can speak to this issue. From our house, it's 25 miles to the nearest town with population greater than 350. I find that even though we're retired, we still end up driving to town pretty often. Sometimes we want to do something in town in morning and evening, and that means two hours behind the wheel. It's an easy drive without much traffic, but sometimes it gets old.

DW used to drive DD to swim practice a few times a week. This involved dropping her off, then finding something to do in town for two hours (or driving home and back, not an option).

So, the point is that this is a consideration. For me it's worth it. But evaluate it objectively.

CFB looks like a couple of trees are close to the house. A REALLY big consideration IMHO is to ensure that you have at least 30 ft and preferably 50 -100 feet of defensible land between you and the woods for fire protection. A plus is the pond. you can get a gas powered fire pump for about $300 then hoses and and nozzles and not rely on the local FD or DNR to evacuate you and let the place burn.

Place looks great lots of potential. I agree about leaving the burbs. Left in 2004 and don't regret it a bit. You will have issues if you ever have to move back.

I understand the vision of a family compound. However, you need to pay a visit to your local planning department. The land may have zoning restrictions that will frustrate your goals.

Sounds like a great deal to me. I'd probably try a low offer to begin with.

Well that was an interesting but unproductive day.

We started off with a last minute bank repo that had just hit the listings that day.

Easily the worst house and piece of land i've ever been in, let alone considering buying. The lot was practically vertical, the home appeared to have been built by demented goats, and at least 30 animals must have lived in it for about 20 years. The whole thing was ready to fall down, bare plywood on the exterior and flooring, an overpowering smell of urine, and absolutely not one square foot of anything that made me stop thinking of hitting it with a bulldozer.

Looks to me like neither the listing agent nor the bank, asking $465k, has actually seen that property.

Somewhat better stuff from there. A nice newer manufactured home on 5 acres that unfortunately had a huge fast running river running through the center of the property and 20' from the front door. A 30 year old stick built house on 2 acres where the property was beautiful but the owner had doubled the house square footage without permits...or a whole lot of forethought to design. One of the more interesting looking homes and a very unusual roof line. Great views, lots of level land, but for $477k and a home inspection report that was going to run to 85 pages of code violations and glitches...no thanks.

The large acreage property with the manufactured home was last. A beautiful home inside, appeared well made and sat on a large pad with plenty of paved space around it and carports for four cars. Unfortunately the land was more vertical than horizontal. One bend at the driveway led to about a 150' drop straight down. Several other points close to the home were one step out, 100' down. The driveway is tipped at about a 25+ degree angle at many places. Except for the 1/2 acre or so the house sat on and another flat spot near the pond, the land was unusable except for experienced cliff climbers.

Heres the fun part. The listing agent is there when we show up, and bear in mind the house has been for sale without offers since last may. First thing he does is get grumpy with me that our agent didnt call him and gripe about that a while because he already had someone in looking at the property. Turns out our agent called the owner, who has the same first name as the agent, and made the appt with him. Then the listing agent goes on to say how he spent the better part of two days positioning the cameras for the still shots and virtual tours to hide the vertical nature of the land.

Anyone want to explain to me why a sales person would be unhappy about two customers looking at something at the same time (which might create an air of competitiveness) or why a sales person would go to great lengths to hide a serious defect that would become very obvious the moment someone actually viewed the property?

All that aside, the home was great, there were several small restaurants, country stores and knick knack shops right in town a mile away. Lots of shopping in another town one exit up off the highway which is under 10 miles away. And the shopping mecca of the universe another 5-6 miles past that.

So no real worries locationally, but the land was simply not workable.

However I think we have our location. Just some unrealistic selling prices, some trashy houses to sift out, and wait a while for the right thing. I think i'll dial down the lot size a little, perhaps the house size a smidgeon, watch and wait.

Ron'Da said:
So, maybe it's time for her to retire? What's wrong with that...

Gosh, think you can talk her into it? So far I'm not having any luck. She loves her job, went to school a long time to get the degrees and qualifications to do it, and wants to work for at least another 10+ years.

I cant think of anything more fun than having her quit, but given that its only a couple of days a week and something she loves, she just wont go for it.

Given that there are about 42 hospitals within a 15 mile radius of the prospective new area, she certainly has plenty of opportunities.

OMG, what a terrible bunch of properties!!! I think that if I saw that many properties that were THAT bad in one day, I'd be very upset.

You're taking this experience with such a great attitude! With an attitude that befits a Cute Fuzzy Bunny, entirely.

Hey, we got out of town, drove around, snooped inside peoples homes, saw an old realtor friend for the first time in years, saw some nice views, and had a good lunch. And except for a little gas and the lunch, it was free!

It was just a ridding of the outliers...in this case I hoped location was the weakness in a large home, large property, lower cost property. Seems in these cases there were also serious defects that probably warranted an even lower price but the sellers arent yet to the point of reason on that.

So watch and wait, adjust the dials a little, and look forward to another days reconnaissance in a few weeks or month(s).

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
Fuzzy: You provided a morale boost, I'm sure, for the rest of the board that isn't living in Calif., with your shopping for a house "California-Style.

For the rest of the board, "Fuzzy's" real-estate adventure's are in the low rent district of Calif.

So, especially for the posters that are in snow country, happen to tune in to the Rose Bowl Game in January, and see the crowd in shorts, reflect on Fuzzy's post and you'll feel a little warmer. ;)

Jarhead, a demented life-long Californian. ;)

Back
Top Bottom