Anthony Bourdain: reportedly dead

Through his shows and books I felt like I knew him; he was that good. He came across as REAL. Couldn't wait for his one minute wrap up at the end of each show.

Like Kate Spade, I think a lot of those super creative types just see the world --and life itself--differently and end up taking strange avenues in life and death.

The one thing I don't understand is hanging. Had a friend who went that way. There's certainly less [-]violent[/-] unpleasant ways to go...take a few pills and go to sleep.

Last edited:
Huge fan.

I try not to guess at "why" like the press does. It will come out in the near future.

Really bummed.

Ridiculous. "Whenever?" So, every time?

And, is it possible that there's some confusing of cause and effect here? Does drug/alcohol abuse cause suicidal behavior years later, or is it equally/more likely that the neurological imbalances that cause depression make a person more susceptible to both drug use and suicide?
+1

I've known a lot of people in recovery and I don't recall any of them taking their lives. Now before they were in recovery, sure.

We should keep in mind all the wonderful things the meds that we were warned about in those PSA's. Not many can look at a little kid in a seizure and see what a little non-physoactiove cannabis does for them and think it's bad. Many who suffer from PTSD report LSD, MDMA, and magic mushrooms are life altering treatments for them as well. They also treat a host of other crippling diseases. I had chronic cluster headaches and at one time was considering magic mushrooms, as they are a cure for many, sure beats the opioids I was prescribed.

The worst drug I've ever taken? Prozac. Prescribed by a doctor for depression. That crap took me from a mild depression to a very sick person, driving around wilderness areas looking for a place to end my life. Yeah prozac, the popular anti-depressant, many PCP's go to for depressed patients. For all our medical science were very ignorant about depression.

Anthony Bourdain- what a life...

I had just started my career in food service when I found Kitchen Confidential. It is one of the most influential books in my life. A few years ago I worked for one of his friends and saw him in the restaurant from time to time. I never said hello since he was a celebrity by then and I thought he was a little long in the tooth. Lets face it. Every reincarnation of No Reservations was the Anthony Bourdain show.

He was complex, humanistic above all. I'm in tears as I write this and I don't know why. I haven't cried in years and I have to work tonight (gasp).

Of course Marc Maron just posted a podcast of a 2011 interview. My favorite line so far has been, "crack cocaine saved my life."

Nothing is promised to us, the future is an illusion. I still have a few adventures to take and relationships to make and break so I'm not checking out yet, or.....oh crap.

Kidding still healthy enough to post (which isn't saying a lot).
Dance lightly through this thing called life.

Last edited:
As a cook, or a chef you are in the pleasure business. Some chefs are very accomplished but you wonder if he has ever been laid in his life-Bourdain.

As others have said I really enjoyed his programs. Parts Unknown was a particular favorite. Such a loss...

I had just started my career in food service when I found Kitchen Confidential. It is one of the most influential books in my life. A few years ago I worked for one of his friends and saw him in the restaurant from time to time. I never said hello since he was a celebrity by then and I thought he was a little long in the tooth. Lets face it. Every reincarnation of No Reservations was the Anthony Bourdain show.

He was complex, humanistic above all. I'm in tears as I write this and I don't know why. I haven't cried in years and I have to work tonight (gasp).

Of course Marc Maron just posted a podcast of a 2011 interview. My favorite line so far has been, "crack cocaine saved my life."

Nothing is promised to us, the future is an illusion. I still have a few adventures to take and relationships to make and break so I'm not checking out yet, or.....oh crap.

Kidding still healthy enough to post (which isn't saying a lot).
Dance lightly through this thing called life.

Sums it up. He always had an alternative perspective that gives one pause.

Is it correct that he had an 11 year old daughter? Very sad.

Gives one pause......Ah, language, she am hard. ;)

I posted an authentic response without dogma. Whats the pause? Because I don't agree with you?

Not at all. It just makes us think. Sorry for any misunderstanding. Just added - I didn't see the above postings.

Last edited:
I wasn't much of a watcher of his shows, but when I did catch them he seemed "real" as well as smart. That's a rare combination. This news depressed me today, a sad day overall.

He came across as so personable, smart, real, that this felt close. Especially with it coming right after Kate Spade. It made me sad and depressed today too.

A man with a lot of talent, I loved his shows. I thought a lot less of him when I found out he was a drug and alcohol addict, and a tax cheat. May he rest in peace and may his family find comfort. Perhaps now he can defeat his demons.

So we could be in for a surge of suicides, since we have had a recent double happening.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/t...-after-the-death-of-robin-williams-2018-02-08

"A study released in February by researchers at Columbia University said there were 18,690 suicides in the four months after the death of Robin Williams in August 2014, suggesting an excess of 1,841 cases — nearly a 10% increase, based on previous monthly suicide data from 1999 to 2015. "

Time to put away the scarfs :eek:

Loved him, very real, felt like if you were a stranger he’d love to talk to you. Feel so sorry for Eric Ripert too, oh to find your best Friend hanging, tragic!!!!

This is what he did like no one else IMHO, that ‘travel (to other cultures) and food sharing promote understanding and compassion.’ Just watching his experiences made us see people from other cultures with more understanding and compassion. He talked to Obama the same way he’d talk to a fisherman, a street cook or an activist (for a cause we’d never heard of) from a remote corner of the world.

Attachments

• 80D57704-BB57-4531-91E7-E258D940C5B8.jpeg
    80D57704-BB57-4531-91E7-E258D940C5B8.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I'm more of a Bizarre Foods watcher. But enjoyed seeing when Zimmern and Bourdain appeared together.

Attachments

• zimmern.jpg
    zimmern.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Here is someone with a dream job (travel, great food, money) but who also must have been in great pain. Very sad to hear this news.

I think the 200 days a year of travel required to get his show done was a factor. He mentioned it in the past. Two ex-wives. Maybe he needed the money for alimony?

Too bad. I really enjoyed his authentic approach. Not really a cooking show. More like an eating experience show.

(I understand that Kate Spade had to give up using her name because she sold it with the brand? I wonder if that had any impact?)

Back
Top Bottom