Any advice as I look for a new recliner?

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Im looking for a nice, reasonably priced recliner to replace an old chair in my living room. I would prefer a very 'puffy' black italian leather recliner, but will settle for that suede-like material in black.

I dont know what to look for or avoid in a recliner....I'd like one to last me about 10 years....preferrably longer. I'll be in it daily, as it will replace my current favorite chair - I'm usually in it for at least 5 hrs/day.

Any input?

Go to a Lazy Boy Store and take a book to read! Sit in each of the recommended chairs for about 30 minutes and then get the correct one. You can also wait and watch for their sale to purchase!

Im looking for a nice, reasonably priced recliner to replace an old chair in my living room. I would prefer a very 'puffy' black italian leather recliner, but will settle for that suede-like material in black.
See if your local Craigslist has a seller in the "Furniture" section. If it's active in your area and you're in no hurry to buy, one will pop up in the next few months for a few hundred bucks.

Check out costco and sams club, if you have a card. They have some recliners in stock that are pretty dang cheap, and a bunch on the web site. I think you can buy from costcos site for an extra x% without being a member...but it might be worth it just for the chair.

I nabbed a brown leather rocker recliner for my wife to use as a nursing chair 3 years back...I believe it was $225 new...

Or as Nords mentioned...buy it a little used.

Furniture often comes with a 40-200% markup...which is why its good to go with a warehouse store or go used.

Go to a Lazy Boy Store and take a book to read!
Sit in each of the recommended chairs for about 30 minutes and then get the correct
one. You can also wait and watch for their sale to purchase!

I agree with the Lazy Boy suggestion. I am a big guy, and only the Lazy Boys
felt solid when I plopped into them - did not give a millimeter. All the others
felt weak by comparison.

We got a LaZ Boy last year for DW but found price was cheaper from a local furniture store that sold LaZ Boy recliners than the LaZ Boy Store down the street by about 10%.

We have a couple of Laz-Boy recliners and swear by them. I inherited the one with automatic lift (for my late MIL) and heated vibration. Freaks out the cats.

Our recliner is the Lazy Boy that my dad bought 30 years ago. It is very comfortable. We had it reupholstered 15 years ago (the original color was 'amazing'). It cost us more to have do have it reupholstered than to buy a typical "new" chair, but we knew we wanted to keep it. It is comfortable and built very well (very sturdy frame, smooth operating mechanism, and high-quality foam that doesn't sag).

I had a Lazy Boy recliner in NY for 15 years and sold it at a tag sale, I was sad to see it go. I bought the same exact one in Fla. as soon as I got here. Now I have more time to use it.

Buy a Lazy Boy, never a problem.

Comments:

1: I've had to repair our La-z-boy recliners several times (see this thread). They've had problems in a number of locations.

2. When we bought them the "lifetime warranty!" sounded great, but when you find that it only includes labor (or parts?) and you still have to get the couch or recliner to them, it is of no value.

3. I recommend against the ones with a hand lever. We got that so that we could recline partway -- but we never do.

4. We got a cheap black faux-leather type, 12 years ago, and it's been great.

5. Almost any recliner is going to feel super comfortable for a few minutes. Connie's suggestion is a good one.

6. Craigslist and garage sales and patience is what I'd do.

DH and I shopped for comfortable recliners for at least 5 years (not actively, but we would sit in them wherever they had them and we were ready to buy). We finally purchased two leather BarcaLoungers from Macy's. We sat in them and immediately knew they were the ones we had been looking for.

Is it me or are these things the hardest things to decorate around. They always stick out like a sore thumb.

I've been a LaZBoy boy for decades... I'm in one now. But we recently remodeled the den and, on a tip from a friend shopped around for a BEST recliner. Bought 2 of them. Good quality, cheaper than LaZBoy. Six months later, I love the BEST brand.

Check it out.

Might check out JCPenney, too. We bought a recliner from them a couple of years ago, and have been very pleased with it. (Of course, my older cat thinks we bought it just for her)

Cattsubabe - You are correct about the difficulty decorating around recliners. Fortunately, we didn't have any decorating sense prior to getting the recliners so there hasn't been any decline due to having them.

DH loves his BarcaLounger, it was a little more expensive than a Lazy Boy but well worth the extra. It's big and poofy tan leather, he spends about 4 hours a day in it either sitting or sleeping. We had a Lazy Boy and he destroyed it :(

My observations:

Lay-Z-Boy is out of my price range. Some were as cheap/much as 800 or so...but that's too much for me right now. If I do that, I might as well get a whole new set.

Levin (Cleveland/Pittsburgh chain)- Was a bit better...they carry many brands, including Lane (most reasonable) and a few others, BUT I was turned off by their rude staffmembers

WaySide- Found the one I wanted...and Ashley piece, but was FURIOUS at the rude salesman. It took all I had not to clock him right there in the store. It turns out the one I really liekd there for $499 is not made in black. I will go directly to an Ashley store soon to see what they have. Anyone have Ashley Furnitur...I hear they are national.

Discount Stores (Big Lots, Value City etc)- CRAP...junk... $300-400 but not worth 100

So, Im going to head to ASHELY FURNITURE and check out 2 seats I found online...The Sydney and Sonoma. The one I like is the DOVER Ashley Furniture: Showroom, but it only comes in beige- $499.

Can anyone put their $.02 in about ASHLEY Furniture?

Last edited:
a google search shows a plethora of negativities regarding ASHLEY FURNITURE

Has anyone had any 1st-hand experience? I found a chair in their store for $500 that I liike a lot.

My observations:
Lay-Z-Boy is out of my price range. Some were as cheap/much as 800 or so...but that's too much for me right now.

Would you consider used? I'm checking out La-Z-Boy furniture on our local craigslist -- prices are running anywhere from $20 - $300 depending on the age and quality of the recliner. The $300 was for the barely used, contemporary, red leather club chair / recliner. What a beauty! I almost called the phone number when I reminded myself that I actually don't like leather furniture . . .

Would you consider used? I'm checking out La-Z-Boy furniture on our local craigslist -- prices are running anywhere from $20 - $300 depending on the age and quality of the recliner. The $300 was for the barely used, contemporary, red leather club chair / recliner. What a beauty! I almost called the phone number when I reminded myself that I actually don't like leather furniture . . .

ive been looking to no avail. black leather is harder to come by than i imagined

well, I GOT IT!!!

Craigslist was the ticket. I got a "Tranquil Ease" heat/massage blaxk leather fluffy recliner for $100. The heat/massage does not work....but I hope to tinker with it until it does. All the lights come on the control pad and never shut off...mayeb a short? I dont think new guts would be too expensive...but I'm not sure. Any techie's wanna take a stab at it? Its got a black box mounted below the seat with 4 wire...power, seat, back,heat, and controller.

Anyhow, just figured I'd update the thread as I watch tv in it

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom