Anybody Here Like Hyundais??

lets-retire said:
Sell the stuff that's been on the shelves the longest first.

BUM said:
Sorry Sam. In the computer chip biz its important to sell the old VERSION first.

Thanks. Never heard of that expression before.

My husband and I were diehard Toyota / Honda fans. Yet six years ago we wanted a small SUV and ended up with the Santa Fe after considering many other vehicles including the RAV4 and the Subara Outback. We bought the first year model of the Santa Fe and we had a couple of repairs done in the first 18 months (all under warranty and thus free of charge). Since then, virtually no problems. Its been a hard working vehicle for us and going strong at 120K miles.

Pros: very comfortable, good seats, no problems getting warranty service, respectable gas mileage for that type of vehicle, feature-to-price ratio was great. Cons: not a lot of zip from that year model's engine but we're the type of drivers that are fine with that; less resale value than Toyota/Honda.

15+ years ago I test-drove an early Hyundai and mentally wrote them off. Now I'm one of their fans.

The sonata looks really nice, but as their quality has gone up, so has the price. It seems like you are going to pay close to $20k for a Hyundai when it's said and done. Of course the flip side of poor resale value is buy a 2 year old Hyundai for 9k and drive it into the ground, yeah baby, LBYM all the way!

Hey Linney, can we get a larger version of your avatar pic? :D

Laurence said:
The sonata looks really nice, but as their quality has gone up, so has the price. It seems like you are going to pay close to $20k for a Hyundai when it's said and done. Of course the flip side of poor resale value is buy a 2 year old Hyundai for 9k and drive it into the ground, yeah baby, LBYM all the way!

I paid 17k for my 2006 fully loaded Sonata.

Laurence said:

I agree with the idea of buying a used Hyundai since they depreciate so quickly. As for quality, I recently drove a rented Hyundai sedan and it drove pretty much as well as my old 1994 Honda Accord. The interior, however, wasn't as nicely appointed (i.e. cheap fabric on the seats, less-ergonomics, etc...)

Corporateburnout said:
I paid 17k for my 2006 fully loaded Sonata.

So that's not bad for what you are getting, definitely. I picked up my slightly used Volvo for 19.9k, but after taxes obviouly pushed it north of 21k. Was that 17k out the door? VW has jettas for around that, and they are nice, too. But I think compared to Volvo, VW, and all the rest, Hyundai really wins out on cost of upkeep. I bet tune ups and the like are significantly cheaper.

Laurence said:
So that's not bad for what you are getting, definitely. I picked up my slightly used Volvo for 19.9k, but after taxes obviouly pushed it north of 21k. Was that 17k out the door? VW has jettas for around that, and they are nice, too. But I think compared to Volvo, VW, and all the rest, Hyundai really wins out on cost of upkeep. I bet tune ups and the like are significantly cheaper.

Just got my April 2007 Consumer Reports car issue. For those of you who think there is validity to their ratings, in descending order of reliability:

After 3 years:
Toyota, Honda
Hyundai
Ford
GM, Chrysler
VW
Nissan

After 5 years:

Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Ford
Chrysler, GM, Hyundai
VW

After 8 years:
Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Ford
Chrysler
GM
Hyundai
VW

(Laurence: sorry, Volvo wasn't included in the comparison)

Laurence said:

sales tax was additional

REWahoo...

That is what the people have been saying... that they have improved their quality over the last few years.... so, an 8 YO one is more 'crap' and a 3 YO one is better.. but will it hold up in that spot at the 8 year mark:confused: Still to see and I don't want to be the guinea pig...

BTW... I would not buy another Ford again... they screwed me in the '80s with a Cougar.. knew the problem and never told anyone for over a decade... so even though they are up in the chart... they lost me as a customer.... now, my GM has been pretty good to me... but not as good as a Honda or Toyota would have been..

The problems were grouped within the year bands...some cars experienced a lot of problems up front and then nothing bad after that...says to me that the component and design quality is ok, but the quality control and assembly are suspect. Some cars had few problems until they got older.

Nissan, mercedes, bmw, audi, vw and a few others all went sharply south about 4-5 years ago.

BigMoneyJim said:
Nissans get more reliable with age? Or the newer ones are going downhill?

I can tell you that my 95 and 97 Maximas as just as reliable today as they were 12 or 10 years ago.

Those old maximas are really, really good. Dang near bought one around 1990 but I got a Pathfinder instead. That was a mistake. Nissan accidentally installed a volume control pedal rather than an acceleration pedal.

CFB,

The 3rd gen Maxima (up to 94) were good but not really good. The 4th gen (95 to 99) were much better. OTOH, the 3rd gen look better, in my view.

Laurence said:

Not of me, but here's a larger picture that I can share. Probably wouldn't work for my Hyundai but it might look nice on a Lexus . . . ::)

Attachments

• bunny_car.jpg
    bunny_car.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 11
  • bunny_car.jpg_thumb
    35.5 KB · Views: 0
Awww...my wife wouldnt let me put it on her car, but I wonder how it'd look on my Pilot.

Which I still have to equip with a New England Patriots bumper sticker for, since our new neighbors across the street are colts fans (there goes the neighborhood) and have a bumper sticker on theirs.

Maybe one for my car and one for Gabes hummer.

It'd look good on you Linney, maybe a shot for the fellas wearing nothing but that? Not that I'd be interested of course. I'm already in trouble for giving improper answers to topic material from The View.

Back
Top Bottom