Are You A Horn Honker?

I did get thoroughly chastised by my passenger ... AKA wife ... for using the horn. What was I supposed to do, get out and politely tap on the other cars window and ask them to please pay attention and drive when the signal is green?

This reminds of the time where I had to get out of my car, walk up to the lead car at the traffic light, and tap on his window. But it wasn't because of his failure to move at a green light.

He hadn't pulled up all the way to the traffic light, pulling up instead to what appeared to be a stop line but instead it was a line of tar from some recent road repair about a car length before it. By not pulling up all the way, the sensor to activate the green arrow was not being triggered. Everyone else was getting a green light over and over at some point except for us, and after more than 5 minutes the traffic was backing up in this lane with some drivers honking to no avail.

I was a few cars back and knew what was happening, so I got out of my car and walked up this lead car. The driver rolled down the window and I explained to him (or her) that s/he had to pull up further, to the actual stop line so the sensor would be triggered. He did, and our arrow soon appeared and we made our turn.

Lightning can strike twice. A few years ago, at a different red light near the barbershop I was waiting outside of for the barber to arrive, I saw a car not pulling all the way up to a light, so he would never get his green light at a 3-way intersection. With nothing else to do, I walked over toward his car. I pointed to the pavement where the sensor was visible and told him to move up so his car would pass over it and trigger his green light, which soon arrived as he gave me a thumbs-up for my help.

My pet peeve is folks turning left at 4 way with light when they pull out into intersection, wait for oncoming traffic, their light turns red before clear and then they go. If I’m am to their left, I give them a honk. I find that to be a very selfish move. Don’t pullout beyond stopping block line unless you know you will have opportunity to turn under green.
I was taught to enter the intersection when making a left. I've found mixed information on the web.

https://patch.com/california/sanbru...waiting-for-oncoming-traffic-to-pass_2c7b8d8a

A CHP answered

If a person is driving straight through an intersection (NOT TURNING) law requires a motorist to enter the intersection, only when there is enough room to completely traverse the intersection. For drivers making a left turn, this rule does not apply! If a driver faces a green light, they are authorized to enter the intersection and wait for clearance to complete their turn. HOWEVER, the driver is not allowed to enter the intersection for a left turn if they are facing a yellow light.

I found another source in Colorado that said their laws aren't clear on this.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/tr...a-left-turn-and-should-drivers-go-way-or-wait

I didn't bother to look for more.

This reminds of the time where I had to get out of my car, walk up to the lead car at the traffic light, and tap on his window. But it wasn't because of his failure to move at a green light.
I had a similar problem at a toll booth. The toll gate was only going up every other car. Basically, it was asking for more money than required. The guy in front of me sat there for minutes. A huge line was building behind me.

I got fed up and threw a few quarters in, rushed back to my car. The gate went up, and I tried to draft him.

It didn't go well.

The car got chopped by the break away gate (a flimsy 1x3). I proceeded through with visions of being a bandit like you see in the movies, crashing the gate, destroying into splinters. Everyone in line behind me just cruised through.

Later, I had second thoughts and considered I may have broken a law, badly. I was waiting for the cops to show up. Even 20 years ago this would be on video. So I called a lawyer friend*, and he said to just come clean and call the toll authority.

They didn't care at all about what I did! The gates are designed to break away. They were more concerned I was going to sue them for damaging my car. :LOL::LOL: Turns out I was able to buff out the damage. Really!

* - My lawyer friend still ribs me about this on occasion.

Last edited:
My pet peeve is folks turning left at 4 way with light when they pull out into intersection, wait for oncoming traffic, their light turns red before clear and then they go. If I’m am to their left, I give them a honk. I find that to be a very selfish move. Don’t pullout beyond stopping block line unless you know you will have opportunity to turn under green.
I was taught to pull out & still do. I think it gets more traffic thru the intersection. So I'll continue to be selfish as you call it. I think of it as the right thing to do.

Are You A Horn Honker?

...... not since the time someone jumped out of their car and came after me with a baseball bat. Now.... I NEVER honk, never even look over.

I honk rarely, but I also have a heck of a time finding the darn spot to press on the steering wheel!

Are You A Horn Honker?

...... not since the time someone jumped out of their car and came after me with a baseball bat. Now.... I NEVER honk, never even look over.

I once gave a toot to a guy who was in the left-turn lane next to me and proceeded to go straight, effectively cutting me off. I pulled into a nearby parking lot and he followed me as I parked. "Hoo-boy, here we go," I thought.

It turned out he wanted to apologize for his mistake. He had a young boy in the car with him. I hope the kid was paying close attention.

See my avatar. I just got back from a bike ride, and this thread went through my mind as I was using my bell.

90% of the people appreciate the bell announcing my presence.

10% get cranky.

I'm damned if I do, damned if I don't.

People, the bell is there to simply say I'm here. I'm not blaming you for anything. I'm not going to run you over. If you have a dog, hold tight. If you are a drunk walker, walk straight. Etc.

And yes, I'm off all walking paths during this pandemic and give very wide berth, riding in the street. Some people like to walk in the street too, so I let them know I'm coming.

Last edited:
See my avatar. I just got back from a bike ride, and this thread went through my mind as I was using my bell.

10% get cranky.
I'm in the 90%. Ring the bell or call out "on your left" when you overtake me, and I'm happy. If I glance back and give a wave, that means I've seen/heard you and I'm getting over, and you don't have to ring the bell. But I won't get cranky if you do.

My pet peeve is folks turning left at 4 way with light when they pull out into intersection, wait for oncoming traffic, their light turns red before clear and then they go. If I’m am to their left, I give them a honk.

And I'd give you the finger.:D As was pointed out, in lots of places that's the ONLY way to get through the intersection. It is also quite legal, since the left-turning vehicle entered the intersection legally on the green, he is then entitled to complete the turn when it is safe to do so. If that isn't until the light turns red for oncoming traffic, then so be it. But he did enter the intersection legally.

I was taught this in driver's ed at age 16, and later looked it up in the traffic law book. In MD and WV, it is legal so I'm puzzled why that legal maneuver bothers you. To me, it's an irritation that so many people remain ignorant of it and will sit through multiple cycles of a traffic light with all the intellect of a box of rocks.

10% get cranky.

Actually there is another 10%.
I go for a run most mornings, and due to traffic I mostly run on sidewalks.
When overtaking a pedestrian I call out "on your left" about 10-15 feet behind them. Most acknowledge it by staying on the right side of the sidewalk, but some just don't understand and immediately move to their left so I have to quickly maneuver to avoid crashing into them. Makes me crazy. :facepalm:

Are You A Horn Honker?

There ya go.......

As I mentioned in an earlier post, here in the Chicago area we went through a period of road-rage incidents some years back. There were some beatings, some shootings, some intentional rammings, etc. Before too long, it seemed like most of us were avoiding all communication with other drivers that could possibly be interpreted as "unfriendly." No honking, flipping off, arm waving, mouthing profanities or even eye contact for the most part.

When overtaking a pedestrian I call out "on your left" about 10-15 feet behind them. Most acknowledge it by staying on the right side of the sidewalk, but some just don't understand and immediately move to their left so I have to quickly maneuver to avoid crashing into them. Makes me crazy. :facepalm:

As someone who cannot naturally and immediately tell my right from left with accuracy - and the accuracy is worse when it's a need-to-know-now situation - they might be me!

It's not that I'm going "hmmmm.... which is it" it's that I decide in that moment ok I believe this is left, but I may just as well have tossed a coin.

As someone who cannot naturally and immediately tell my right from left with accuracy - and the accuracy is worse when it's a need-to-know-now situation - they might be me!

It's not that I'm going "hmmmm.... which is it" it's that I decide in that moment ok I believe this is left, but I may just as well have tossed a coin.

If you have a suggestion for an alternative warning, I'd love to hear it.

If you have a suggestion for an alternative warning, I'd love to hear it.

Maybe we need a road for cars, another for bicycles, a lane for runners, and another for walkers. Each with enough barriers to physically keep us separate and safe. They all need direction arrows to ensure no one travels in the wrong direction and messes things up. Maybe split the walking lane into fast and slow. Same with the bicycle lane. Have a unit dedicated to only policing this transit system.

And then there’s the electric scooter. People walking dogs. Kids with skateboards. Families with children biking together. This is why we don’t have flying cars. We’re just not ready. My theory is once we learn to better use the transport systems and mechanisms we have someone will discover or invent the next phase. Flying cars, transporter beams, or something along those lines.

Actually, I think we do a pretty good job of sharing the roadways, sidewalks and paths. There are jerks, some people are thoughtless, and there are some real selfish and antisocial beings out there, but they are still the minority.

Maybe we need a road for cars, another for bicycles, a lane for runners, and another for walkers. Each with enough barriers to physically keep us separate and safe.

In all fairness, I have been enormously impressed with the courtesy most people are showing these days. While out running or walking, when I encounter someone coming in the opposite direction on the sidewalk, it's usually a bit of a dance to see who moves out into the street first. Fortunately, there isn't usually a lot of traffic around here, but it's still a concern. When DW goes out for her daily walks, she sees the same thing. Most people are considerate.

I get the confusion. You hear "left", so you might think you should stay left, even though what we're saying is that we are moving to the left, not that you should. I see that at times when I'm running. I suggest that people try to keep in mind that you should stay to the right, and pass on the left, just like driving. But I'd also take another suggestion on what to say as I approach from behind.

Thank you! I really appreciate the wave back.
I'm in the 90%. Ring the bell or call out "on your left" when you overtake me, and I'm happy. If I glance back and give a wave, that means I've seen/heard you and I'm getting over, and you don't have to ring the bell. But I won't get cranky if you do.

I stopped with the call out exactly because of the confusion you mention. Bell only now.
Actually there is another 10%.
I go for a run most mornings, and due to traffic I mostly run on sidewalks.

And I'd give you the finger.:D As was pointed out, in lots of places that's the ONLY way to get through the intersection. It is also quite legal, since the left-turning vehicle entered the intersection legally on the green, he is then entitled to complete the turn when it is safe to do so. If that isn't until the light turns red for oncoming traffic, then so be it. But he did enter the intersection legally.

I was taught this in driver's ed at age 16, and later looked it up in the traffic law book. In MD and WV, it is legal so I'm puzzled why that legal maneuver bothers you. To me, it's an irritation that so many people remain ignorant of it and will sit through multiple cycles of a traffic light with all the intellect of a box of rocks.

It’s dangerous. Sometimes in 2 or 3 cars. They can’t have all entered the intersection legally.

Regardless, we can continue honking at each other and flip birds and accomplish nothing.

It’s dangerous. Sometimes in 2 or 3 cars. They can’t have all entered the intersection legally.

Regardless, we can continue honking at each other and flip birds and accomplish nothing.

Certainly dangerous, especially in TX where you have to assume everyone has a gun :mad:

Certainly dangerous, especially in TX where you have to assume everyone has a gun :mad:

Winter, 1980, on a short assignment in Dallas. Parked the car and went for a run in the dark around White Rock Lake on the (incorrect) presumption that the path would follow the water.

It didn't.

Unable to find the parking lot, jogged down a verge where a car was stopped at the lights. Young girl, window down, loud music, didn't see me. Naive runner from Toronto...I say "Excuse me". She jumps up, I jump back with palms facing.

Related the tale at work the next morning.....told I was lucky she didn't shoot me.

Last edited:
A lot of people think we all wear cowboy boots, hats and ride horses everyday too... Not to mention "we'all" have tins of Skoal in our pockets and bottles of Lone Star beer in our hand.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom