Are You A Horn Honker?

^^^^ LOL!

I remember seeing bumper stickers but haven't for years now.

People first in the left turn lane often daydream so when the light turns green, they get 2 seconds to wake up or they get a gentle reminder.

More likely they are either admiring their crotch or looking down at their hidden phone texting.

Without a honk, I've seen a person sit their through the green light and remain there for the next red light duration... They probably complained to friends about the long light :LOL:

What about those car alarms that use the horn when you activate or deactivate? I can't stand them.

Last edited:
I used to give out quick toots but I now give out full blasts (1-2 seconds) for the constant stream of drivers who fail to start moving at red lights because they are too busy yapping or texting on their phones. This is especially true for short, left-turn arrows at busy intersections. If you're too stupid to pay attention at traffic lights, then you deserve to get honked at. [I often see, as a pedestrian, long gaps between cars getting started at new green lights because someone is too busy with their phone.]

Lane drifters get long honks, of course, because I seek to avoid getting sideswiped or worse. About a year ago, I nearly got run off the road at one intersection several times from cars in adjacent lanes. The problem was partly due to disappeared lane markings, which finally got repainted after I complained for months to the county's DPW. Then there was the idiot who decided to stop in a thru lane of a busy road, no signal, no 4-way flashers. He got a long honk, too.

As others have posted, I also despise drivers who nearly come to a stop, THEN put on their turn signal for the very SLOW turn they make. I sometimes honk at them, too.

EDIT: my 2-horn-blast story. One time, I had to give the woman in front of me TWO horn blasts because, after the first one (she failed to move at a green right-turn thru arrow), I saw her raise her hand in a "why are you honking at me?" motion. I gave her a second horn blast and she finally figured it out that she had the green light. She did raise her hand again in an "I'm sorry" mode.

Last edited:
DH honks quite a lot. I rarely do, but have been known in the past to hand out a one fingered salute. These days I just try to stay in my lane and avoid other cars as much as I am able. Too many people have guns in their cars or are just nuts enough to go road rage on you if you even look at them wrong! :angel:

Might use my horn once every 6 months, when someone does something outrageously stupid. I have to look to see where to press to honk.

People first in the left turn lane often daydream so when the light turns green, they get 2 seconds to wake up or they get a gentle reminder.

I think that is fair. I live on the east coast, about 50 miles from the Nation's Capital. It seems everyone here is on their cell phone at the wheel. I also give them 2 or 3 seconds at a red light before I beep my horn. One could judge me as rude, but I don't really care because I consider the violation of the laws in Maryland as more than rude. And if you might argue that the person isn't actually driving, my neighbor got a ticker for playing a game on her cell phone at a red light.

I've driven manual transmission most of my driving and current driving days. I am too busy enjoying rowing through the gears, downshifting, and listening to the engine tune instead of having my hands on the horn. I wouldn't know what using a cell phone and driving at the same time is also since there is no time for that. SAVE THE MANUALS!

Might use my horn once every 6 months, when someone does something outrageously stupid. I have to look to see where to press to honk.

Exactly what I was going to type, many situations where I wish I would have honked, but didn't.

I had a road rage incident a few years ago. Since then I am reluctant to honk at anyone for any reason. There are some really disturbed people out there. :nonono:
And that's a problem. A horn was put on the car so you could warn of your own presence. "Look out, I could be a hazard!"

For example, I've used mine to good effect when someone was backing out of a space ready to hit my car. It worked! No harm, no foul.

But now since we use it as a scolding device (we love to scold in this social media world, don't we?), unhinged people may literally kill you for using a horn for its rightful purpose.

I seldom if ever use my horn. Mostly, to alert somebody of my presence when they obviously didn't see me and were moving towards me. I have honked at people who do not move proceed from a stop when they are legally obliged to do so. When my kids were little I would honk in a short tunnel if nobody else was co-occupying said tunnel. Most of the time, the horn is used when the key fob in my pocket accidentally gets the "panic" button pressed. :whistle:

I just watched "Unhinged" (a new Russell Crowe movie).

After seeing that movie, I'll never honk my horn again.... If you have seen the movie you will understand why!

I've driven manual transmission most of my driving and current driving days.

DW & I dread the idea of being reduced to an automatic transmission!

I guess I'm more patient than that. I'm highly unlikely to honk at all, but if I sit behind someone at a light for 15-20 seconds I might give a quick beep. Really though, I don't care if I miss a light and have to wait till it changes again. Nothing is so urgent I can't wait a couple minutes. If it was, I should have allowed more time.
It'sd not all about you though. You hold up others. If I was behind you & this happened with the car in front of you, I'd be honking at both of you. And since you're not in a hurry, walk instead for the exercise. Let everyone else move on & we're all happy.

It'sd not all about you though. You hold up others. If I was behind you & this happened with the car in front of you, I'd be honking at both of you. And since you're not in a hurry, walk instead for the exercise. Let everyone else move on & we're all happy.

I live on a mountain eight miles from town, walking is not an option. It's an uphill both ways in the snow situation. :)

And why would you honk at me? I'm not holding anyone up, I'm stuck behind the car in front of me. You'll just add stress to a situation I have no control over.

If you really need to be somewhere, leave a few minutes earlier. We'll all be happier. :)

And why would you honk at me? I'm not holding anyone up, I'm stuck behind the car in front of me. You'll just add stress to a situation I have no control over.

If you really need to be somewhere, leave a few minutes earlier. We'll all be happier. :)

I would honk, but it would be at the guy in front of you. I often wonder if people would be like "why you honking at me". I would say obviously I am not honking at you.
I leave early for everything, I even leave early from work to head home. However, I don't want to wait at a light for no reason. Pay attention to the light. I feel I an teaching them.

If someone is texting at the light when it turns, I wait a few seconds, then I give a "micro-toot" to them. I mean, the softest, quickest of honks, barely audible. This usually works and goes over OK without them going all crazy.

Now I have to go watch Unhinged today and see if that's even a bad strategy. BTW, didn't hear about the movie, but it sounds interesting. I loved Duel, so this may be in the same ballpark.

My pet peeve is folks turning left at 4 way with light when they pull out into intersection, wait for oncoming traffic, their light turns red before clear and then they go. If I’m am to their left, I give them a honk. I find that to be a very selfish move. Don’t pullout beyond stopping block line unless you know you will have opportunity to turn under green.

Some people think you punch it when light turns green. Creates dangerous situation.

My pet peeve is folks turning left at 4 way with light when they pull out into intersection, wait for oncoming traffic, their light turns red before clear and then they go. If I’m am to their left, I give them a honk. I find that to be a very selfish move. Don’t pullout beyond stopping block line unless you know you will have opportunity to turn under green.

Some people think you punch it when light turns green. Creates dangerous situation.

I won't disagree with you, but in in some urban areas, this is literally the ONLY way one can make a left turn due to continuous traffic volume. There will be no break possible unless you make your break by hanging yourself out in no-mans-land.

I'm glad I now live in an urban area where they do traffic studies and assure every such busy intersection has a protected (left arrow) period to avoid that behavior.

I been paying attention when I use the horn since this thread started. Lol I have honked a few time now again at people I know then we wave. Not really what the horn was meant for but that is what I use it for more then anything else.

I justify me honking when the car in front of me on the left turn only lane does not move after the light turns green. They basically just sit there thinking it is ok to wait for the go-straight light to turn green while being in the wrong lane and keep all the cars behind them stranded so they can go straight (and cause potential accident by cutting the car in next lane off) later. They made a mistake by using the left turn only lane when they really wanted is to go straight. They should follow the rule and make the left turn and find their way back later, instead of blocking every one behind them.

People can be selfish so it is nice to remind them of the reality by making some noises for 10 continuous seconds.

Last edited:
Rarely use the horn, but did last week. Coming off the freeway a car is stopped at the red light at the end of the ramp. It turns green and the stopped car doesn’t move. I wait a few seconds more and still no movement. Then I honk to wake up the driver. I’m not going to sit at the end of a freeway off ramp with a green signal waiting to get rear ended by the next guy coming up the ramp.

I did get thoroughly chastised by my passenger ... AKA wife ... for using the horn. What was I supposed to do, get out and politely tap on the other cars window and ask them to please pay attention and drive when the signal is green?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom