beer gone...all gone...sob

Why would that be a bad thing for a beer lover? ;)

Fresh beer smells great to a beer lover! But the cooking process in making beer (it is still 'wort' at this time) is a very different smell. A lot of people hate it, most brewers love it.

Spilled, stale beer - yuck!

-ERD50

Why would that be a bad thing for a beer lover? ;)

I have not been to the town of Cognac (one of these days), but read that the entire town smells of the liquor, as it seeps from the oak barrels that are used to age this eau de vie for several decades.

Umm... I would be taking a deep breath to inhale the smell of this invigorating spirit. :cool:

I have been to the town of Tequila, which does indeed smell of the liquor. There are several large distilleries sporting prominent No Smoking signs. Watching the agave harvest is fascinating.

Making tequila, harvesting a blue agave plant in Mexico - YouTube

Sorry for your pain, and good luck finding a replacement, albeit temporary and commercial. Nature has a way of finding balance, though. On the same day you suffered a painful loss, I had a pleasant surprise. My favorite ale, missing from store shelves for over a year, is back.

RagingBitchBOTTLE1.png

Hey, so that's some good beer, huh? DH loves a good brewski being of German heritage and all. Seen it in my local grocery store and wondered. I'll have to pick up a sixer for the old man. BTW, the picture on the label looks like an illustration from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. 'Nuther reason to trust it.

Last edited:
Hey, so that's some good beer, huh? DH loves a good brewski being of German heritage and all. Seen it in my local grocery store and wondered. I'll have to pick up a sixer for the old man. BTW, the picture on the label looks like an illustration from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. 'Nuther reason to trust it.
It is a very bitter ale. The label does look unusual, the brewer is Flying Dog and all the brews are dogs. :)

As a fellow beer lover (not brewer yet, but planning on adding it to may way too long hobby list), I shed a few tears for you and your friend that was lost at such a young age. This is truly tragic news....

BTW, the picture on the label looks like an illustration from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. 'Nuther reason to trust it.

That's no accident, as described on the Flying Dog website. (Click on "Hunter S. Thompson" and "Ralph Steadman" in the left-hand frame.)

I once toured the Flying Dog brewery in Frederick, MD with the James River Homebrewers club from Richmond, VA. Excellent brewery and we got the "behind the scenes" tour. Great tasting room, too. The highlight was when one of the brewers said, "excuse me" and I had to move out of the way of the scale large enough for a person so he could weigh out a boat-load of hops. Mmmmm.... hops.....

Sorry for the broken carboy. I also use glass and I've been getting a bit leery of it after 10 years. You've inspired me to examine all my carboys when I get home for hairline cracks. They might hold up for years then give way like that one day. I ferment in the basement where there are floor drains, but I don't think I could take losing 5 gallons of homebrew after I spend all day on the patio brewing all-grain (which is a 4-6 hour process for those who aren't into the obsession, er, hobby, of homebrewing).

Not to mention the possibility of a severed artery. I don't want to imitate Dan Aykroyd doing Julia Child.

Oh, I also second the Brew Hauler. I use milk crates as well, but the BH is much easier on the hands while carrying it.

And I might have to put that recipe down for a future brew session. Looks tasty!

That's no accident, as described on the Flying Dog website. (Click on "Hunter S. Thompson" and "Ralph Steadman" in the left-hand frame.)

I once toured the Flying Dog brewery in Frederick, MD with the James River Homebrewers club from Richmond, VA. Excellent brewery and we got the "behind the scenes" tour. Great tasting room, too. The highlight was when one of the brewers said, "excuse me" and I had to move out of the way of the scale large enough for a person so he could weigh out a boat-load of hops. Mmmmm.... hops.....
Thanks for that link and tidbit of info. :)

Thanks for all the condolences (and the recipe and carboy suggestions), it makes this old man sniffle just a bit thinking how everyone here understands...you guys get me :)

I do have the new beer going, I woke up to a happy sound this morning, a nice burping sound from the yeast going to town on the beer, so I am well onto a replacement. I am optimistic it will be ready for my NYE party. Think POSITIVE is my motto.

I have never tried an all grain-usually I do the partial recipes. 4-6 hours of work then I would be crying for sure!

Back
Top Bottom