Best.Singer.Ever

Definitely Ella Fitzgerald---and not just because jazz is my favorite genre.
Johnny Mathis said "She was the best. She was the best there ever was. Amongst all of us who sing, she was the best."

I've always liked:
Pop
Morten Harket of A-ha:
YouTube - A-ha - Summer Moved On - with lyrics

And Jeff Buckley was amazing.
YouTube - Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Soul
The Reverend.
YouTube - Al Green-Let's stay Together(Live)

Father of Soul-Sam Cooke
YouTube - Sam Cooke - Wonderful World

A modern update from another Green.
YouTube - Cee-Lo Green - "**** You" (Later with Jools Holland)

Jazz and Blues
Billie Holiday
YouTube - Summertime -- Billie Holiday 1936

Ted Hawkins
YouTube - Ted Hawkins - Strange Conversation

And when I'm in a metal mood:
Geoff Tate-Queensryche. I can vouch that he is GREAT live.
YouTube - Queensryche - Empire

Fish-Formerly of Marillion. Also great live!
YouTube - Fish Faith Healer

Great choices. My vote would be Judy Garland. I'm only 55 but for some reason we had many of her records around when I was young, and of course there is always "Somewhere over the rainbow'.

I also always loved the smoothness of Karen Carpenter's voice and range but her portfolio of work and early demise makes it hard to put her on the greatest list.

I would have to go with Ella for females and Pavarotti for males. Those two send chills down my spine.

Luther Vandross and Michael Jackson.........

Though I love rock and roll, and hard rock, I really enjoy crooners such as Sinatra. Modern times, Michael Buble has a great voice - which I like and I don't get the raised eyebrows from my wife when I listen to him because she likes him... but I think for her it has allot to do with his looks!

Oh I do love some Steve Perry! When the (insert derisive snort here, HFWR) Journey tribute band came to Charleston last year, we had the best time singing along to every song.

For today's singers, Christina Aguilera has to have some of the best pipes in the business....she's phenomenal.

Back
Top Bottom