Best.Singer.Ever

For today's singers, Christina Aguilera has to have some of the best pipes in the business....she's phenomenal.

That is a good point--some of the nominees are no longer with us. Best singer today would be a different animal. Too bad Christina tarnished her own reputation with those darn National Anthem lyrics at the Super Bowl!

I don't know who I'd nominate for today's best.

IZ made me put out $1 out of 4 I've spent on internet tunes.

But for a angelic voice, my vote is KD Lang, she just gives me goosebumps.

Other 3 bucks

Sheryl Crow, Home Chris Issak, Wicked games, Cranberries, Linger.

Male Singer - Mel Torme
Female Singer - Aretha Franklin
Group: The Eagles

I've always thought that Lou Rawls was a great singer.

Oh I do love some Steve Perry! When the (insert derisive snort here, HFWR) Journey tribute band came to Charleston last year, we had the best time singing along to every song.

This singer pulls off a damned good Steve Perry... and the music is "interesting."

YouTube - ROCK SUGAR-Don't Stop The Sandman

Watch until 1:32... that's where the surprise comes in with the Steve Perry part.

It's hard to decide...

some are poets, but can't sing,
some can sing, but have no feeling,
some have feeling, but no pipes.

Although this song is old and unfashionable, I think that by the end of this song Grace Slick showed here that she had it all.

Baby, baby, baby! You are quite the funky lady these days. Love it! Can't help but think your true self has been released since you are now retired and made the decision to stay in your beloved New Orleans. No need to conform anymore to those in your workplace and unbridled joy in living in one of the grooviest places on planet earth:flowers:

Flow sister....:)

YouTube - Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, Pink - Lady Marmalade

It's hard to decide...

some are poets, but can't sing,
some can sing, but have no feeling,
some have feeling, but no pipes.

Although this song is old and unfashionable, I think that by the end of this song Grace Slick showed here that she had it all.

YouTube - Jefferson Airplane - White Rabbit

Who cares if its old and unfashionable!!! Its one of the best ever. She had all those attributes plus charisma and looks. I listed to it twice then went to Youtube to listen to Somebody to Love. :) Thanks for the post.

Baby, baby, baby! You are quite the funky lady these days. Love it! Can't help but think your true self has been released since you are now retired and made the decision to stay in your beloved New Orleans. No need to conform anymore to those in your workplace and unbridled joy in living in one of the grooviest places on planet earth:flowers:

Flow sister....:)

YouTube - Christina Aguilera, Lil' Kim, Mya, Pink - Lady Marmalade

Love that song too!! Yes, you're right - - I'm free (even to be unfashionable if I want to be! :LOL:) and I'm loving it. :D

Who cares if its old and unfashionable!!! Its one of the best ever. She had all those attributes plus charisma and looks. I listed to it twice then went to Youtube to listen to Somebody to Love. :) Thanks for the post.

I'm so glad someone besides me remembers and loves the voice of Grace Slick! She had it all, IMO.

I'm so glad someone besides me remembers and loves the voice of Grace Slick!

OMG, how could those of us into rock in the 60's and 70's forget Grace Slick? I saw her twice with the Airplane around 69-71, the second time when she was almost 9 months pregnant. She had an amazing voice.

As for current rock vocalists, there just aren't that many good ones out here any more. The current best, at least IMHO, is surely Maynard James Keenan. I've been fortunate to get to see him twice with Tool and once with APC in recent years. Good heavy rock's not dead. There just isn't as much of it as there used to be

I love Johnny. Have two foster kittens now. Named 'em Johnny and June. Here they are

Attachments

• Foster 1.JPG
    Foster 1.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Foster 2.JPG
    Foster 2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Problem with singers these days is computers can take an out of tune/key singer and correct it. Can make a shallow voice sound rich with hidden revert, can emulate double tracking by taking the same track, changing it slightly and overlaying it back onto the original. True way to find out if they are any good is live, with no lip-syncing.

Example:

Too many good ones to choose from

but the 60s - 70s for the most part.

Billy Joel is on top of my list but who could forget the charm and talent of Bobby Darin?

Aretha, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell, Grace Slick and yes, I love Shakira's performances. Forever amazed at all the moving parts!

Let's not forget Dean Martin.

Then when I returned to Hungary I've discovered the artists who came up after we left in '63 like Zoran and Koncz Zsuzsa.

After all the memories I want my old Snoopy sweatshirt that read: To Live is to Dance, to Dance is to Live! :) Rock on.

Problem with singers these days is computers can take an out of tune/key singer and correct it. Can make a shallow voice sound rich with hidden revert, can emulate double tracking by taking the same track, changing it slightly and overlaying it back onto the original. True way to find out if they are any good is live, with no lip-syncing.

Very true. One of the best singers I ever heard live was Ann Wilson of Heart. What a voice!

Then when I returned to Hungary I've discovered the artists who came up after we left in '63 like Zoran and Koncz Zsuzsa.

After all the memories I want my old Snoopy sweatshirt that read: To Live is to Dance, to Dance is to Live! :) Rock on.

Share some of that good Hungarian music with us Isadora:flowers: I looked on You Tube and found this...beautiful...others you'd like to share?

YouTube - Koncz Zsuzsa - Ha én rózsa volnék

this really changes depending on the mood I'm in, but .....

Jay Black

YouTube - CARA MIA PAR JAY BLACK

If you're over 58 you'll enjoy that video.

What impresses me the most is that this version of his 1965 hit record sounds just as good as the original, but Jay did this (I think) 36 years later when he is (being kind) looking kinda, kinda, kinda.. uh..... old.

This concert was recently broadcast on PBS.

although, I have posted my own "best singer".....

Many have commented on Grace Slick and White Rabbit. Geez, I agree, but that falls into the category of " Singer that I wished I had seen". I would pay thru the nose to watch her sing that song now, but it will never happen, great song, great memories, thanks for the videos!!!

If you're over 58 you'll enjoy that video.

I'm not even close to 58 and I enjoy it. I was born the year before Woodstock, and pretty much grew up listening to 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s music, and I'm still stuck in those eras! Do wop, Beatles, acid rock, hard rock, hair metal, Sinatra, Dean and various "crooners", 70s pop, Motown, reggae, etc. I even love Native American styled flutes and drums (whether or not its "true" native music, such as David and Steve Gordon). Since my father was a DJ for some time (before my time) I grew up with an appreciation for music of all types. Only thing I have a hard time getting into is rap and hip hop though there are a few exceptions.

You can't get much better than Sinatra and Ella (a lot of that is due to the genius of their arrangers). For a band, it's The Beatles.

My votes:
Barbara Streisand
Josh Groban
Roy Orbison
Patsy Cline
John Denver
Grace Slick
Mamas & Papas (arrangements)
Paul Simon (arrangements)
Lovin Spoonfuls (arrangements)
Johnny Matheson
The Platters