Carless

True story:
My grandmother gave up driving when she was 50. She blacked out every time she drank a 5th of whiskey and decided she needed to quit driving. [emoji23]

I’m a 5th generation Californian and I hate public transportation and love my car.
I’m counting on self driving cars to save me from needing any public transportation.
My alternative is to count on my kids. [emoji15]

We have a friend on the Island who had to quit driving for health reasons. Every time we see her in person, talk by phone or see her on Zoom, her being "car-less" comes up. She feels really isolated, even though I know for a fact that her son sees to it that she gets her groceries, meds, doc visits, church, etc. Heh, heh, I'm hoping I expire before my last DL expires.:facepalm:

I hate public transportation

How do people perceive transit in LA? ( == some perceptions of ...)

In Canberra, being a 'senior', buses are free for me.

2 h car parking is free at shops. Sometimes I have appointments or shopping which might take longer then I consider the bus if I have little to carry.

One suburban bus route has a stop near the end of my street, about 3 minutes walk, but the winding route takes 20 minutes to arrive at either of the two nearer shopping precincts, both 10 minutes by car.

Another bus route is on a major thoroughfare between those precincts with a bus every few minutes. I can drive 5 minutes to a designated free 'Park & Ride' location or park in a street nearby a stop.

Were we just a little better organised with more voluminous backpacks / trolleys, we could do weekly grocery shopping, and other daytime trips, by bus.

Car is mostly a garage ornament. When mass post-pandemic revenge holidaying dies, the car is likely to see more use for road trips.

Last edited:
Have single car and been that way for most of last dozen years. Very few "scheduling" problems (twice I rented a car (2 days each) when DW was out of town). Once had a condo in warm weather area with terrific bus service. Would fly in, take bus to condo (one mile walk from stop) and ride bikes/walk the rest of the time (for short term stays). Busses had bike racks which allowed greater distance.

Have friends (without public trans) who have given up owning cars-Use Uber, bikes, grocery delivery
and walking 95% of the time. Rent a car for driving vacations. Big savings if it works.

Here, there are limited areas to ride bike because of RR crossings and no paths. You can use neighborhoods for most of the journey, but need to ride on the road (no bike lanes) for about a quarter mile-very scary. Have considered an electric bike: pedal through neighborhoods and electric on the quarter mile stretches. Might work.

Back
Top Bottom