Central Air died. Options?

Great job, not such a big deal once you do it. Glad you made it a cheap repair.
Congratulations.

Just replaced the capacitor and it's back to working properly. Yeah!

A couple nights ago it was 83 when I went to bed and a morning low of 79 in the house. I will never take AC for granted again.

Thank you to those who helped me figure out the problem and what to do about it.

YAY, YOU!!!! :dance: That's awesome!

omni

Just replaced the capacitor and it's back to working properly. Yeah!

A couple nights ago it was 83 when I went to bed and a morning low of 79 in the house. I will never take AC for granted again.

Thank you to those who helped me figure out the problem and what to do about it.

Good for you ! You did it !

If you plan on living there for a long time I would replace the AC unit. I wouldn’t cheap out on something like this and I live in New Hampshire.

I replaced my central HVAC after 30 years of operation. I replaced a few caps, a few fuses and the condenser fan motor over 20 years.

I replaced it in 2010 when there was a combo of State rebates and a Federal tax credit that reduced a $7000 install to $4000. Pretty sweet! that was 10 years ago and everything still works good. I got the installer coming over to look at it this week and check the R410. When he added 3 pounds last year he also added dye. If it turn out the leak is the evaporator coil I'll get that under warranty.

I use a dehumidifier that i run at night. That keeps me comfortable enough. Mini splits are good deals.

I had 2 systems in my house, up and down, units. Package unit downstairs, mostly for heat, but i downsized it since I had insulated aggressively. Split system upstairs, I improved the return ducts and vent capacity, pulled the heat system down a notch and increased the AC capacity and efficiency.

If you plan to stay in your current home long term, I’d replace the whole system. Trying to repair a 20 year old system doesn’t sound like a cost effective idea, and you will be faced with trying to afford the same old Freon type currently in the system. I just repaired an old system to get me through the summer, and the Freon if you can get it is around $100 a pound. And how old is the furnace?

Yep, Aaron is now ready for the next step: DIY installing a couple of variable-speed mini-splits with high efficiency to reduce his power bill.

Just replaced the capacitor and it's back to working properly. Yeah! ....
And I'll add my "congrats!".

Many things really aren't that tough or scary once you've gained a little knowledge. And with that knowledge, you can better decide when it makes sense to call in the pros.

-ERD50

My house has a boiler heating system (no venting system).

I've considered a mini split system for years, but I hate the big ugly units that hang on the interior wall.

I've gotten by with an upstairs window unit for 35 years. It does the job.

I'm in Minnesota, so similar climate as OP. I probably only run my AC a dozen times a summer.

The 8k sized units are fairly light. I upgraded to the 10k last time, and it is a big dog.
I'm not sure how many more years I be able to install that big heavy thing.

JP

They have ones that install on the ceiling also that are flush with the ceiling if that’s viable for your house type

If you plan on living there for a long time I would replace the AC unit. I wouldn’t cheap out on something like this and I live in New Hampshire.

If you are replying to the OP's original message, maybe you missed the part where he fixed the system.
The fix is not a cheap out, it is a proper fix and his system could easily last quite a few more years.
This fix is like putting a new battery in a car, something most folks feel is worth doing, rather than buying a car.

If you plan to stay in your current home long term, I’d replace the whole system. Trying to repair a 20 year old system doesn’t sound like a cost effective idea, and you will be faced with trying to afford the same old Freon type currently in the system. I just repaired an old system to get me through the summer, and the Freon if you can get it is around $100 a pound. And how old is the furnace?

If you are replying to the OP's original message, maybe you missed the part where he fixed the system.
The fix is not a cheap out, it is a proper fix and his system could easily last quite a few more years.
This fix is like putting a new battery in a car, something most folks feel is worth doing, rather than buying a car.
It was not the freon, it was the capacitor.

Ok, here is my 2 cents. I had 36 houses in Florida three years ago (22 now) which I’ve owned for many years. I have a lot of AC experience as you might imagine. It is most likely 99% chance a blown capacitor in the condenser (outside unit). There are two (one starts the compressor, one starts the fan motor). It is a common part that needs to be replaced from time to time. I have three units over 20 years old. These three units have given me the very least problems ever. Every one of my newer units has far more issues and repair needs.

I once replaced a 24 year old unit for no reason other than to be proactive. Never again will I do that. The old systems were built to last and they do- especially in a low use climate like yours unless the cold makes that statement invalid.

Get it serviced. They can check the Freon level at that time. If they need to add a little this is typically no big deal. If they need to add a lot, then there is a leak that needs to be found and repaired. If that is the case I would not spend the money to repair a larger leak in a system that age, but I most certainly would have a simple capacitor replaced. You could go years without any further problems.

(Just saw you replaced the capacitor on your own - that’s awesome. Being able to do that would save me a bunch. Just never bothered with it because they use different kinds and I never know when I’m going to have a failure or where. Plus I like to get them fixed ASAP here in Florida. This post has motivated me to rethink this! Way to go!)

Last edited:
Great job!!!

A/C units are kind of like a car, as Sunset points out above. My 2003 Chevy rides just as smooth as as it did 172,000 miles ago, because I replace parts that go bad.

Unless I missed it, I don't think aaron said he replaced the capacitor, just replaced.
In any case, glad we could help make the diagnosis. The sound of the compressor switching on after several days without AC must have brought great relief.

Last edited:
We had a 2k sqft house in NY (warmer than southern WI where I'm from) that had a window/wall unit installed permanently. We used a fan to move the air around and a dehumidifier for the lower level which was partially below ground. It worked for us for years.

Unless I missed it, I don't think aaron said he replaced the capacitor, just replaced.......
Well I should hope not. There is 240 volts in there and someone could get killed if they touched the wrong wires. ;)

Well I should hope not. There is 240 volts in there and someone could get killed if they touched the wrong wires. ;)

Yeah, that stuff can kill an elephant.

Interesting back story on the infamous Edison elephant electrocution stunt -

Did Edison really electrocute Topsy the Elephant?
It is arguably the most famous animal execution ever—the killing of Topsy the elephant at Luna Park on Coney Island in January 1903. It received national coverage in the newspapers, and the Edison Manufacturing Co. sent a film crew to document it.
Myth Buster - The Edison Papers

The usual idea is to remove power before working on the unit. It's wise to check to make sure power has been removed. Neither of these are rocket science and can easily be learned.

Then some are all worried that the capacitor has stored power, that can be handled with either a spark when you short across it holding the insulated end of a screwdriver or clip leads and a resistor to bleed down the voltage. Often the capacitor is already bled off before you attempt to discharge it.

The usual idea is to remove power before working on the unit. .........
I dunno. I've heard that real men wire hot.

Attachments

• zap.jpg
    zap.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 31
I dunno. I've heard that real men wire hot.

I've been know to replace a few wall switches and outlets hot on occasion. Not something I would recommend to anyone. If I have more than one at the same time, I shut off the power. I draw the line on rewiring hot its bigger brother, 240V AC. For that I always turn off the power. The 3-phase stuff just scares the bejesus out of me.

I used to design power supplies powered from 12VDC up to 415V 3-phase. :angel:

I knew a union electrician who told me the difference between 120V and 240V is whether you feel it up the the elbow or up to the shoulder. :facepalm:

In the OP's case the breakers were turned off, at least he was told to turn it off.

Back
Top Bottom