Climbing through the window

I'm still friends with one of my high school buddies and she's asked what I'm going to do to prevent my kids from doing the same. We've replaced the windows - which makes it harder... and the screens are long gone. Older son is in the one room with no path - just a sheer drop... so he's covered.

Never underestimate the willpower of a teenaged boy. My now adult sons take great delight in telling me all the stuff that went on during their high school years, on our lower patio and in our basement, while we slept soundly two floors above. OMG, I'm lucky they're both still alive. We feel like complete idiots.

There are some great stories here. My assistant had a new 2 story house built about 15 years ago. We were talking house plans and she questioned which bedrooms she should give to her kids. I told that it was simple. The girl's room has to be the one with the window over the garage roof. The boy's room has to be one upstairs without an easy path from the window to the ground. Now that the son is going to college, it may be a good idea to move the teenage girl into her brother's old room.

Many years ago my ex's brother who was 22 at the time had just moved to a new house with his parents from the house he spent his entire life in. 2 or 3 days later he went out with his buddies and got hammered and was dropped off at the "old" house. The fact that he no longer lived there didn't register through the fog of alcohol. Of course, the key no longer fit as he now had a key for the new house, but likely the new owners had changed the locks anyway. That didn't phase him because he knew about the basement window that could be easily pried open. So, he pried open the basement window, crawled in, and promptly went to sleep on a couch. He was woken 10 minutes later by the cops as the new owners heard the noise and called the cops about an intruder. He spent the night in jail :D

As a side note, when I first read the title of this thread I was convinced you were going to ask for advice about whether or not to accept an early retirement window. :)
Seriously.

When I was in HS many fine adventures began and ended via the bedroom window. :)

I made regular use of my bedroom window. Also my girlfriend's window. Hormones! Make ya' do crazy things...

As a side note, when I first read the title of this thread I was convinced you were going to ask for advice about whether or not to accept an early retirement window. :)
Seriously.

This is just so sad. Why don't we just keep it between us?:)

Yep. I was on the first floor though. The front of the house also had a window that never latched. About a year after my parents sold the house, my brother snuck in to see what they had changed. There were apparently a lot less piles as my dad was (still is) a hoarder.

(This wasn't in the mid-west).

cd :O)

Back
Top Bottom