Comment about treating the kids/heirs equally

That is great as long as he goes through with it.... however, you will never know...

As I have stated before, there always is the blond bimbo problem... (you can change it to any description you want, but this was what I was told way back when)... so you die, boyfriend gets your money.... and when he is old and frail a blonde bimbo comes along to show him what he was missing.... and also gets the will changed for everything to go to her.... there is no way to prevent this if you give outright... I do not know enough to know if you can put a contingency on a ROTH, but I highly doubt you can....

I fully expect to outlive him, he is almost 70 and smokes and overweight. I am only leaving him my ROTH of about 300K and leaving my family about a million. He can spend it all if he wants but I don't think the will find a blond bimbo. He has been with me 30 years so known my nephew since the boy was 16 and likes him. He did make the new will and I have a copy so unless he was lucky enough to meet the bimbo our family gets it back if any left.

I asked my Dad to disinherit me a decade ago - he complied. :)

His estate goes to my three siblings. I am far wealthier than my siblings and my Dad, so it made no sense to me that I inherit anything from him.

My siblings will be my heirs too.

My Mom died this year and she had a will leaving an equal share to her three daughters but she forgot her Sister who was so much a part of her life . We all took a little off our small inheritance and made an inheritance for my Aunt . It was the right thing to do and she loved it .

Both of my parents had issues with inheritances when their parents died. Assets disappeared, siblings banded into factions, and in some cases they took grudges to their graves. Sadly, even with these immediate examples in our recent family history, my two sisters are waging a war over their future inheritance (or lack thereof). I know there are two wills with different provisions (mom's and dad's) and I know there is a new will (dad's) which was drafted in secret with consultation from one sister only, who is pushing hard for it to replace a previous will (dad's) so that no one but she (and dad) will know the contents. Also as mom's health is failing, the same sister is actively moving assets from mom's name to dad's, presumably so mom's will is mostly superseded by whatever is in the new secret will she is pushing through.

It sounds like a soap opera, but I can tell you with certainty from family history that people do irrational things, even at the risk of alienating close relatives when money is involved, and inheritances seem to bring out the worst of these greedy behaviors. Even when the sums are small, people sometimes do amazingly viscous things to family over money. In this case, the assets are substantial enough that I don't expect the sisters to mend fences. On top of that, it is likely that moving assets is going to break some of the tax planning that went into the original wills. My brother and I are hunkered down and trying to be friendly with both sisters. I don't need the money and while he could really use it, I think he genuinely doesn't care about it, unlike the sisters who seem to think it's some kind of validation of their place in the family whether they need it or not. I hope we will be able to maintain family relationships however this plays out, but I fear the two sisters may be setting themselves up for unhappiness, and maybe an open feud, no matter what happens.

Beyond this, I cannot think of anything I can do to help this developing problem. I certainly don't want to take sides. I tried gently suggesting mom and dad should do whatever they want and even that as I am in reasonable financial shape, leaving me out of any distributions was fine by me. Unfortunately the sisters treat any suggestions as support or opposition to one or the other of them, so no suggestion can meet with mutual approval.

When my mother passed her will left the estate split evenly between me and my two sisters. I was the administrator. It all went pretty smoothly although it was initially a steep learning curve for me. At the time I was doing fraud investigations so I was used to dealing with large volumes of paperwork in several boxes. In MD the administrator has to send out periodic reports to all heirs on the status of the estate and I once asked my two sisters "Don't you want to see the supporting documentation for all these numbers I'm giving you?" (At the time we all lived within an hour drive so that could be done easily.)

Their answer was "no" because they knew I wouldn't risk alienating them for the rest of our lives over money. Their faith was not misplaced - the estate was divided almost to the penny. My youngest sister got shorted one cent because it wouldn't divide equally by three. The only bone of contention was who got the "angel bear" (a white teddy bear that looked like an angel) that my mother had made. We decided to just pass it around from year to year and that works.

Afterwards they took me and DW out to a steak dinner in appreciation of the work I'd done on the estate.

Back
Top Bottom