Connecting Android tablet to smart TV

David1961

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I want to play seme videos on my Android tablet on a large screen smart TV. When I connect via a USB cable, the TV does not recognize the tablet. I can connect an iPod via USB and it will play music from the iPod. Is this an Apple/Android issue?

I can use AirPlay for my Apple TV to view anything from my iPhone, iPad or MacBook Pro on my 2009 Panasonic plasma tv. I don't know what android capabilities are.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

What brand/model tablet and TV are you trying to connect? Samsung has a wireless feature called screen mirroring.

I want to play seme videos on my Android tablet on a large screen smart TV. When I connect via a USB cable, the TV does not recognize the tablet. I can connect an iPod via USB and it will play music from the iPod. Is this an Apple/Android issue?
A tablet connecting via USB to the smart TV is being recognized as media storage. You should connect with an HDMI cable, and change the TV source to HDMI1 or whatever is appropriate. This would let you stream Netflix from your tablet to TV.

If you're trying to play video files, you would need to consult your TV manual about where the files should be stored on the tablet. When you connect as media storage, the TV will have an app to let you browse folders on the tablet. At least it should, if that capability is permitted on the smart TV.

If your tablet has an HDMI out as I think most do use it.

Google Chromecast will let you stream from an android device directly to your tv. They are like $35 at Best Buy

A tablet connecting via USB to the smart TV is being recognized as media storage. You should connect with an HDMI cable, and change the TV source to HDMI1 or whatever is appropriate. This would let you stream Netflix from your tablet to TV.

+1

Everyone, who owns a "smart" TV (or any electronic device, for that matter), should visit AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews for very in-depth discussions of that particular model -- simply Search (the Google search). A search for a particular problem is also very informative because it crosses all devices.

Google Chromecast will let you stream from an android device directly to your tv. They are like $35 at Best Buy

+1 If what you're watching is Chromecast compatible (youtube, google movies, netflix), it will stream directly from your router/wifi to the TV. This is a good thing for me because my tablet is a bit slow in processing video and I get some lockups.

When it's a Chromecast compatible, the tablet just becomes little more than a remote for what you're watching.

If not CC compatible, you can still stream it from you tablet via "tab cast" but you are at the mercy of your tablet's speed.

Cool.

+1

Everyone, who owns a "smart" TV (or any electronic device, for that matter), should visit AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews for very in-depth discussions of that particular model -- simply Search (the Google search). A search for a particular problem is also very informative because it crosses all devices.

Amazing information can be found in the manual. Forums are great, too!

We received a gift "smart" tv for the holidays. Quite an improvement over a 32" tube. But it wasn't really so smart. If only one read the box...

LOL. RTFB.

Back to the OP, if one knew the model, lots might be said.

Now I'm off to that forum. Anything online to distract me from tax prep...
:dance:

I have a Kindle Fire tablet (which is Android) and Chromecast but they do not play together because Kindle and Google don't like each other, so I use a wire with HDMI on the TV end and a HDMI to mini-HDMI on the tablet end so the TV is simply a big monitor.

I do use Chromecast with my Android phone.

Back
Top Bottom