Cool Music Videos

I was at the 1985(?) Chicago NAMM (National Assoc Music Mfgs) show with some friends in the business. Emmett Chapman himself was demoing the Stick at his little booth. Got to talk to him, and he explained a lot about the instrument and how it is played, and he played it amazingly, jaw-dropping-ly well just for us. As we stood there in awe, practically invading his personal space. Talked with Tom Coster and tried to blurt out some appreciative words when I bumped into Dr Moog.

The DX7 was just out and I saw it at the show for the first time. Bought one within the month. Quite an achievement for an amateur musician, LBYM guy. Still have it. Hardly ever play it, hard to find the time now that I'm retired. ;)

So many great versions of 'Pork Pie Hat', Joni, Jeff Beck, the list goes on...

-ERD50

I've got two chapman sticks. Since emmett lives pretty close by to me
i just stop by his house/workshop when i need a new set of strings.
He's a really cool guy and still going strong at 70+. I hope I'm as vital as he
is when i'm seventy.

My goal once i FIRE ( i hope some time next year ) is to get half as good
as greg howard is on the stick.. That should keep me busy for a while :)

-mike.

I've got two chapman sticks. Since emmett lives pretty close by to me
i just stop by his house/workshop when i need a new set of strings.
He's a really cool guy and still going strong at 70+. I hope I'm as vital as he
is when i'm seventy.

My goal once i FIRE ( i hope some time next year ) is to get half as good
as greg howard is on the stick.. That should keep me busy for a while :)

-mike.

Wow, that is pretty cool that you know him. He did seem like a very nice guy at the show. He made quite an impression on me, I still remember seeing him play that thing - very vividly.

Now, if I could just remember where I left my car keys......

Is there a specific CD/DVD you would recc? This one looks pretty interesting:

Soundboard TV with Emmett Chapman
DVD 1983 TV broadcast $15

I like the idea of being able to see him play while I listen, the Stick is a very visual thing with both hands moving up/down the frets - also gives me an excuse to get a little LCD TV to put in my listening room - the player is already DVD capable, just no video in that room.

My wife will be asking for suggestions for the Holidays for gifts for me, it's the least I could do....

-ERD50

Wow, that is pretty cool that you know him. He did seem like a very nice guy at the show. He made quite an impression on me, I still remember seeing him play that thing - very vividly.

Now, if I could just remember where I left my car keys......

Is there a specific CD/DVD you would recc? This one looks pretty interesting:

Soundboard TV with Emmett Chapman
DVD 1983 TV broadcast $15

I like the idea of being able to see him play while I listen, the Stick is a very visual thing with both hands moving up/down the frets - also gives me an excuse to get a little LCD TV to put in my listening room - the player is already DVD capable, just no video in that room.

My wife will be asking for suggestions for the Holidays for gifts for me, it's the least I could do....

-ERD50

If anyone else out there is interested in more stick lore, etc..
send me a private message. i can suggest some CD's etc..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom