Did Your Button Pop Out?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I cooked a Honeysuckle White fourteen-pound turkey today, used a meat thermometer, and it came out perfectly.

But the little red button that comes with the turkey didn't pop out. I have never seen one of those pop out.

What about you?

Me thinks they are calibrated on the "safe" side.

It did.

We never trust them even if they pop, we check about 5 different spots with a thermometer regardless of what the button does.

We talked about that today and my wife said, she never has had one not pop out.

Somehow I thought this was going to be a belly button thread. :D

Yes! My button popped out, the one on my shirt in the belly area. Yum, good food!

Device did not pop and the turkey was wonderful.

Cooked two, 12 pounders side by side in my Oster Roaster. One button popped, the other did not. Both turkey s were tasty and there was no difference in doneness...

Fried that sucker. All 13lbs of it. What button? Down here in Texas we just spice’em up and fry them. Why not? It’s delicious.

Dunno... not my department. But i know when we roast whole chickens that quite often the button pops... but i go by my meat thermometer.

Ours didn't have a button but the ones we have had in the past always did and they always popped up. Now we use a remote reading thermometer and it works great!

No button on our 21 pound bird. Took about three hours to roast. We spatchcocked and injected it with a homemade Cajun butter sauce. It came out pretty darn good. Hope everyone had a great day!!

Just bought breast... was surprised it was both sides as I thought it was only one...

Mine had a blue button and it popped... checked it with thermostat and it was mostly done... just one reading in the thickest part was 170 so cooked a bit more...

Funny thing is I now have a whole frozen turkey in the freezer as I got it free with the boneless half ham.... did not want to let something free go.... might have it for Christmas except we go for vacation just after that and we will not eat all leftovers that quickly...

No button in our bird, I always test with a meat thermometer. I checked multiple places and the breast was over 180. I worried I had already overcooked it so I took it out and let it rest. When we started taking the meat off the carcass we discovered it was way under cooked. First time in 32+ years that has ever happened. So we put the loose meat back in the oven to finish cooking. Despite the mishap it turned out moist and tasty.

Next year I think I'll just buy a turkey breast and avoid the hassle and mess of cooking a whole bird.

Thoroughly defrosting the turkey will help avoid weird underdone spots.

By the time the little prong pops out on a whole turkey, that turkey is too dry for our tastes. So I stick a meat thermometer way into the breast area. I also use my Mom's test for done poultry - cut into the leg-joint area, and see if the juices run clear. If they're still pink, cook the bird a little longer.

Leftover turkey has to be one of my favorite things in the world to eat.

Yes! My button popped out, the one on my shirt in the belly area. Yum, good food!

When I read the title of the thread, this is what I thought it was about!

The shirt I wore had no buttons, but I was stuffed. My brother roasted the turkey, which came out great! He was roasting it on the patio outside the house. It was very cold here so when he opened the roaster's door to show us, I saw mostly a cloud of steam. Not sure if the bid big had any buttons to pop.
Looking forward to some leftovers.

The button on our turkey popped out while it was sitting on the counter before I cut it up. My skills are such that I wouldn’t use the word “carved”.

We had one on a chicken that popped all the way across the oven. Still use a thermometer in several spots to make sure.

Haven't seen a pop up in a bird in years...

I poke with the thermometer obsessively. I look for 170F at the breast and over 180F at the thigh, measured in several places.

Does anyone use a plastic turkey cooking bag? We love them, no brining, no basting. Turkey cooks more quickly and stays moist, even when well cooked, say around 180F in the breast. Virtually fool proof. Just remember to poke a few hole in the top of the bag to keep in from inflating and melting/burning on the oven walls or top heating element (!).

Back
Top Bottom