Do you have a fountain in your house?

BBQ-Nut

Full time employment: Posting here.
Do you have a fountain *in* your house?

Couple of years ago, I finally got an outlet installed in the downstairs nook by our staircase and got a nice fountain.

I think it adds a sense of tranquility because of the sound of the water.

It does require cleaning every now and then, but worth the effort.

Nope.
Nor one in the yard.

I wouldn't mind getting a drinking fountain installed near the back door - kids could get a quick drink in between playing basketball.

No fountain, no house.

Have no desire for a fountain inside the house! Between flashing leaks, an upstairs toilet leak or two, an upstairs shower leak, a leak in the supply line to the ice makes, I have no desire to have water running in the house! But I do get the tranquility thing! Enjoy!

We bought one years ago and it's in the basement on a shelf at the moment.

Might pull it out when our house stops functioning as a musical instrument storage facility. DS has a xylophone and vibraphone in the family room. DH keeps computer, keyboards, cables, amps, etc. all over when he's doing a show. He's always doing a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have a fountain in the front court yard, but it has been dry for perhaps 7-8 years ever since the pump burned out and I have not bothered to replace it.

I am curious now to know how an interior fountain works, as mine splashed water. The area around it was constantly wet, and the evaporated water left behind bad looking whitish calcium deposit on the brick patio. But when it was running, I could hear the water splash from inside, and it was indeed soothing.

I have a fountain in the front court yard, but it has been dry for perhaps 7-8 years ever since the pump burned out and I have not bothered to replace it.

I am curious now to know how an interior fountain works, as mine splashed water. The area around it was constantly wet, and the evaporated water left behind bad looking whitish calcium deposit on the brick patio. But when it was running, I could hear the water splash from inside, and it was indeed soothing.

So our fountain does splash a bit, but in the alcove where the fountain is, I have put down plastic sheeting, then tiles.

I've minimized the splashing by tilting the fountain backwards using beer bottle caps under the front legs (it was a chore to get those, but worth it :D) and finding the right flow adjustment so it isn't a torrent from the openings in the top.

And since any droplets land on the tiles - it isn't an issue.

I would like to get both inside and outside fountains, but I just have not gotten around to it. I think the water sounds are very relaxing.

When I lived in the very dry Mojave desert, a family friend had a built in water feature in the corner of his living room consisting of a goldfish pond and rock waterfall to the ceiling.
The over misting problem was handled with careful placement of the rocks in the fall along with a water volume control. I don't remember any mineral build-up, perhaps softened water or an exit pipe to keep the water from saturating.

No fountain, but we love our fish pond with small waterfall in the back yard.

We have one in the living room. About four feet high and the water cascades from one "leaf" to the next. We love the relaxing sound.

Bought it at an art fair about ten years ago. This shot has it sitting outside the house while being cleaned a long time ago. It's all copper, so it is gradually acquiring a green patina like the Statue of Liberty.

Attachments

• bamboo fountain.jpg
    bamboo fountain.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 14
It just occurred to me that people do not put the kind of 3-tiered round garden fountain like mine inside the home. Not unless one has a very large home with an inside courtyard.

Yes, shortly after drinking a couple of beers.

Does it splash too?

Last edited:
I used to have a little fountain sitting on a bar area. It kept running dry and it took me a while to figure out why. The cat was drinking out of it instead of her bowl water. I gave it away, lol

Creek running through property with several small waterfalls and a chocolate fountain in the kitchen.

I don't have a fountain. What a cool idea! I love listening to the sound of rainfall here. We get a lot of rain.

Creek running through property with several small waterfalls...

That's nice. I once spotted a home built over a creek in the suburb of Vancouver, but was not able to snap a photo. It was raining, and the creek had a good flow, and I wondered if the sound was enough to keep the owner from sleeping at night.

I searched the Web, and found a photo of a similar home to link in here. The one I saw was smaller and on an average suburban lot that was not large, but built over a creek in a similar manner.

See: chrislarsonarchitect-sustainable-green-architecture - Bridge House - tbridge.jpg

And speaking of rain, the sound of rain drops hitting the roof of a motorhome is much different than rain on a roof of a home. It is also louder for sure. And when the rain driven by strong winds hits your motorhome on multiple sides, it feels like you are inside a drum. Ask me how I found this out camping in the Canadian Maritimes. And that wind rocks your motorhome too, though nowhere as bad as a ship on a roiling sea.

Last edited:
And speaking of rain, the sound of rain drops hitting the roof of a motorhome is much different than rain on a roof of a home. It is also louder for sure. And when the rain driven by strong winds hits your motorhome on multiple sides, it feels like you are inside a drum. Ask me how I found this out camping in the Canadian Maritimes. And that wind rocks your motorhome too, though nowhere as bad as a ship on a roiling sea.

I love the normal rocking of a ship at sea, because I am accustomed to it, I suppose. Between the rocking motion and all the fresh air, I sleep deeply at sea and I am refreshed and invigorated when I awaken.

That said, I don't think I would enjoy a rocking motorhome or one being buffeted by strong winds either; I would worry that it might topple.

In my home, the soft sound of rainfall is so soothing. Often I turn off the TV or radio just to listen to it. Thunder and lightning are not soothing but they can be exciting in their own way.

Last edited:
The closest thing I have to a fountain is our backyard bird bath attached to a drip line. Fun to watch the birds and easy maintenance.

I'd like a backyard fountain but so would the creatures that would be drawn to it. Once the birdbath was near the ground and a raccoon decided to wash something nasty in it. The smell was awful. Don't need another mechanical item to worry about.

An interior fountain would be fun to have if you don't mind the maintenance issues.

We live on a lake so we get to hear the sound of the waves in the summer. We really miss that in the winter. I'd live to have a water feature in the house but I've had enough water issues to last a lifetime. Too risky for me. I'd be paranoid every time I left the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom