Do you have spelling OCD?

My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty strong accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

I can write with no spelling errors but misspell words frequently when typing. Why is that?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!

Select the correct spelling of the following word: (The word is "ask" as in "Ask me what word is continually mispronounced on TeeVee and in day to day speech").

AXE ASK AXX

"I AXXED him" has a whole different meaning than "I ASKED him".

I got 15/15, but spelling is in my DNA....my Mom did the Sunday NY Times crossword with a pen!!!

Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.

Ax is actually the correct pronunciation for ask but no longer used by most people.

I recently watched a youtube video with closed captioning on. When the person said " and then he axed me about..." the closed caption read "and then he asked me about...". Not sure what to make of that, but I guess "axed" is not universally accepted to be as correct as "ask".

-ERD50

13/15 correct and I consider myself a relatively poor speller. Still, the words used were, for the most part, the "problem" words which I had already committed to memory -just because they are problem words. YMMV

Hopefully you won't take offense at this but that reminded me of this clip from "My Fair Lady". So are you also descended from royalty?

Not a problem at all. My early Army training immunized me from the folly of getting offended.:cool: It is interesting that he mis-pronunces Budapest, and for Yes, he say jawohl, which is German.
As for the royalty bit, I did not choose my parents well. Born and grew up in what gratuitously could be upgraded to a ghetto.:D

Last edited:
Seeems the English can't speak english.

My original two sources of English grammer learning came from Mr Magoo and the dictionary. Memorization of spelling is not so great, and sententence structure, punctuation etc. is as I damn well feel like it at the moment, as evidenced by many mistakes. BTW I still have a pretty sron accent while speaking, mercifully it is yet to be identified by anyone as a Hungarian accent.

The initial learning curve started with a two page article in what in remember is the the New York Daily News about the FBI. It was a long and painful process.

At the beginninnig had to look up nearly every word in an English/Hungarian dictionary, then after a few paragraphs used mostly an English dictionary. The problem was that in order to understand the explanation (definition) generally had to look up about ten more words, which was true of the newly looked up. So overall roughly for each new word, had to look up between 60 to 120 new words initially, and many had to be looked up in translation as well. Bloody painful.

Anywhoo, it took about two months of several hours a day reading to get to the end of the article. A year and change later got drafted, I enlisted before the draft date, and truly advanced English learning commenced in the form of DI guidance, counseling and directions (look that up on youtube) and southern slang from fellow recruits in the barracks. Also learned in great detail how to describe nearly everything with F.. words and synonyms.

Also learned the Spanish words No Comprende, though those fellows had no trouble with understanding the command Fall Out, or Smoke em if you got them, or chow.

No I did not bother to take the test.

Persistent?

Thank you for sharing this.

I wrote code for a system that's documentation actually was written in the way you described teaching yourself English. The vendor's directions on how to read the document actually talked to the methods you used.

I worked with a bunch of former Marines and with my background in the logging industry we communicated well.

Back
Top Bottom