Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-04-2018, 12:39 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't have one. I rinse my cereal bowl out every morning using the spigot. It gets a proper wash when I do any accumulation of glasses -- which is about every two weeks or when I've run out of spoons. Generally I rarely have no other dishes to wash.
LauAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, we have a 4 yo Bosch, use about every day. My job to unload, and usually fill.

Some of the newer construction homes in area have 2 dishwashers installed, you never have to put dishes away, you just re use from dishwasher.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #63

We have a Whirlpool from 2005. It still works very well but we had to replace the lower rack (rust under the vinyl prongs) and the utensil basket (dried out and cracked) over the years.

I put all dishes, bowls, serving pieces, glasses and mugs in there. I just remove bones or large chunks and don't rinse. OTOH....DH, who is usually the one to do the big cleanup after dinner, can't keep himself from washing everything first. He even uses a scrubby pad. And certain things he will hand wash and put in the dish drainer, like his own mug and drinking glasses. Makes no sense to me but he is cleaning up so I let him do his thing.

We run it every other day at bedtime. It's very quiet! I never set it to use the drying cycle, by morning everything is dry except for the bottoms of the mugs so when I empty the dishes I dab the mugs with a towel.

We have very hard water here and it's common for glasses to get cloudy. I found a product that is a dishwasher detergent additive that keeps everything clear and very shiny - https://www.menards.com/main/housewa...4444183102.htm Also available at Blain Farm and Fleet and Amazon. One container lasts me 4-6 weeks using maybe a tablespoon or two in with the detergent.

I would do some pots and pans in the dishwasher but DH wouldn't have it. I guess we all have our thing.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:53 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?
Yes,Yes,Yes,No.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:57 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most dishes are hand washed most days. About twice a month I run the dishwasher for two reasons:

1. My experience with past DWs is that if they sit for long periods of time unused, things like solenoids freeze up, contacts corrode, etc. Maybe modern electronic ones are better. Mine is an old one with parts like a mechanical timer.

2. Some items come out cleaner in the DW. For example the coffee filter holder on my Mr. Coffee Jr has lots of little nooks and crannies that are hard to clean well by hand. The soap holder in the bathroom likewise has to many little holes and ridges to clean well by hand. One DW cycle and they are perfectly clean. Of course, I toss in regular dishes with them. No point in wasting all that soap and hot water.

I load the DW up twice a month and run a normal cycle. In the Winter it also helps heat and humidify the house.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:00 PM   #66

NO!....But DW does
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

We rinse the dishes and run it every 2-3 days. Couldn’t live without it. It is quiet and works well.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 01:34 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Acquired my current DW 42 years ago and she is still going strong. Best model ever made. Washes, dries and even puts away the cleaned dishes in the cabinets automatically.

Heck, she even cooks dinner and cleans the house.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Haven't used ours in over 5 years. Reminds me to check and see if it still works. With just the two of us, not practical.
Beststash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:20 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes,Yes,Yes,No.
Ditto!
Old 08-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Do you have a dishwasher? Do you use it? Is it fairly new? Do you rinse before loading into the machine?
Yes, we have a Kitchenaid that is very quiet, it replaced the noisy, leaky GE that came with the house. It is run every evening even though there are only two of us here. DW rinses everything, I just scrape off the big chunks. No difference in the outcome.

Now, I love my DW dearly, but I have never in my life seen anyone who could dirty a stack of dishes like she does. On the rare occasions when I eat a microwaved meal, I'll just eat out of the container it came in and dirty only a fork and perhaps a knife.

Not DW! She eats a lot of those prepared Jenny Craig meals (whole 'nother topic) and will heat it, then transfer every bit to another small plate, which then has to go onto a larger plate, and then get a glass of iced tea or something. Oh, and every time she gets a glass of tea, that goes into a fresh glass. I drink mostly tap water during the day and I'll just leave one glass on the counter and drink out of that all day, then into the dishwasher it goes.

So... by the end of the day the dishwasher is completely full, for only two people! If DW goes on an extended babysitting mission for a span of days, I'll run the dishwasher about every five days or so and that's mostly a half load just to run it so the seals don't dry out and stuff.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:02 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, we have a Kitchenaid that is very quiet, it replaced the noisy, leaky GE that came with the house. It is run every evening even though there are only two of us here. DW rinses everything, I just scrape off the big chunks. No difference in the outcome.

Now, I love my DW dearly, but I have never in my life seen anyone who could dirty a stack of dishes like she does. On the rare occasions when I eat a microwaved meal, I'll just eat out of the container it came in and dirty only a fork and perhaps a knife.

Not DW! She eats a lot of those prepared Jenny Craig meals (whole 'nother topic) and will heat it, then transfer every bit to another small plate, which then has to go onto a larger plate, and then get a glass of iced tea or something. Oh, and every time she gets a glass of tea, that goes into a fresh glass. I drink mostly tap water during the day and I'll just leave one glass on the counter and drink out of that all day, then into the dishwasher it goes.

So... by the end of the day the dishwasher is completely full, for only two people! If DW goes on an extended babysitting mission for a span of days, I'll run the dishwasher about every five days or so and that's mostly a half load just to run it so the seals don't dry out and stuff.
If you bought her paper plates, your water bill will go down!
Old 08-04-2018, 03:03 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 60's I had an eccentric aunt who installed two dishwashers in her kitchen; one on each side of the sink.

Her thinking was that she never had to empty them because one was always clean and the other dirty. (I know that there's ones that do that now but this was 50 years ago and she had to go for 2 full sized ones)

This was, to say the least, the most minor of her eccentricities! (She also would never walk into a room or house where she couldn't exit from another door; yes, her bathroom had two doors.)
Old 08-04-2018, 03:48 PM   #74

Heck, yes. Just me- it's an Electrolux. I run it about once every 5 days. Not happy with the way it never dries plastic completely but I think that's pretty common.
athena53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife is convinced that a dishwasher uses less water. So after we shifted to solar-power, she insisted that we get a dishwasher.

Everyday the sun comes out, which gives us surplus power, we run the dishwasher.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:48 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Unless one is a very frugal hot water user, dishwashers use much less hot water than hand washing. 4 to 6 gallons for a full load. That ain’t much.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #77

I have a young "dishwasher" that comes everyday. She also cooks,cleans and takes care of our 3 y/o!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:19 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I use my dishwasher every other day depending on how many dishes we have . I load it then my SO rearranges the load . It used to bug me but now I just laugh. He usually unloads it .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #79

Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
Old 08-04-2018, 10:42 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

We've dishwashers north and south about 18 and 15 years old. They don't do a great job, but do use hotter water than my paws enjoy, so I rinse dishes and stack for optimum spray exposure. Gal gets cranky when I restack her placement, so mostly i load and empty. We probably do a load/week, which I try and do at night so we don't have to listen to it and the open windows can exhaust the heat.