Do you wear yours?

I don't understand the animosity towards Nodak. It is his choice. I don't live in his community, I don't know how populated it is, I don't know what the real dangers are. He seems like a reasonable intelligent person and is making his own decisions as he perceives the risk in his area.

I see surfing as a potentially dangerous sport. Boards can get away, even if strapped, and someone could be hit in the head, become a vegetable and we would have to pay for his medical bills for the rest of his life. The simple act of wearing protective headgear could solve this. Let's pass a law.

And, that is just about the dumbest suggestion I have heard!
Thanks for the support. I am finished defending my actions on this subject except to say that I don't wear my seat belt because a law says I must. I wear it when it seems logical to do so and that is when traveling at highway speeds or in a larger town with higher speed limits and a lot of traffic.

I am basically a libertarian and distrustful of politicians and their rules; I consider most or them to be power hungry wastes of space. My take on them is that they would prefer to, in the words of an old song, "turn us all into beggars 'cause they're easier to please".

T I am finished defending my actions on this subject except to say that I don't wear my seat belt because a law says I must. ...

I am basically a libertarian and distrustful of politicians and their rules; I consider most or them to be power hungry wastes of space.

I respect that you are done on the subject, I'm not looking for a response, but I do want to clarify that I wear my seat belt at all times not because of the law, but because all the data on the subject tells me it makes sense for me to do so.

I share your feelings towards politicians, my decision is separate from that.

-ERD50

I wear a seat belt (and used to ride a motorcycle...and still bicycle)...BUT...I do believe there is some personal choice here. Rather than argue the point either way, let me ask a couple of questions.......How many of you wear a helmet when you drive? Think of all the head injuries in car accidents (lots...and lots...). If you are truly interested in being safe wouldn't you do ALLLLLLLL you could to be safe:confused: Or only those things that are less inconvenient?

I wear a seat belt (and used to ride a motorcycle...and still bicycle)...BUT...I do believe there is some personal choice here. Rather than argue the point either way, let me ask a couple of questions.......How many of you wear a helmet when you drive? Think of all the head injuries in car accidents (lots...and lots...). If you are truly interested in being safe wouldn't you do ALLLLLLLL you could to be safe:confused: Or only those things that are less inconvenient?
Head injuries of people wearing seat belts in cars equipped with airbags? That is a surprise.

Yep, lots. From one site I saw (didn't check for reliability of the site) approx 49% of all tramatic brain injuries requiring hospital care are in vehicle accidents. I didn't check any further but it is about what I would expect. Air bags don't protect you from harm, they just are better than not having one.

Head injuries of people wearing seat belts in cars equipped with airbags? That is a surprise.

Observe some accident photos where the car's roof is bashed in after turning upside down. It is hard to cover all crash scenarios.

Next we will have air bags in car's ceilings, 5 point seat belts in cars ( they are required in race cars), head restraints like race cars, seat belts and the wearing of Kevlar armored suits on motorcycles and outriggers required on bicycles.

Just how safe do we want to be?

I see the point of those fervently arguing for use of seat belts at all times. I don't always wear mine. Small town similar to NODAK's. Speed limit 25. Stop signs at every corner.

The biggest accident around town in years was a triaxle coal truck loaded with coal getting cut off by a car, truck overturning upon said car crushing occupants properly wearing their seat belts.

The next biggest was on nearby Rte 30, a pickup T boned a civic. The civic's driver could not see clearly as result of obstructed view by some political roadside signs. Pulled out to cross 30. A pickup at 45 mph (legal speed limit) pushed the civic across the road into the hillside. The civic was 2' wide after the impact. Driver was belted properly, dead at the scene. Conversely, there have been accidents outside of town where the belts made the winning difference.

Blindly following rules and orders simply because they exist is not good IMHO, neither is it good ignoring the laws of physics. I prefer living by my tagline. I recall a few German's predicament simply for following rules and orders.

As a libertarian, twice transplanted/three organ recipient, I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt but appreciate the efforts of those who do not. I don't think it's right for the gov't to force you to wear one but I think you should. When I at first was told I'd need a kidney xplant to live, I asked what I could do to help improve my chances. My internist said "You know all those helmetless motorcycle riders in Maryland? Kidneys on the hoof." I'm sure he felt the same way about seatbelt usage.

;)

Mike D.

Posted with iPod.

Al, did you really post that with an iPod? I don't know much about music tech but I thought they were only players. Did you mean iPad or iPhone? Not being a wise-ass just wonderin'.

Mike D.

Yep, lots. From one site I saw (didn't check for reliability of the site) approx 49% of all tramatic brain injuries requiring hospital care are in vehicle accidents. I didn't check any further but it is about what I would expect. Air bags don't protect you from harm, they just are better than not having one.

Observe some accident photos where the car's roof is bashed in after turning upside down.(snip)

I am just surprised because I thought the seatbelt keeps you from going through the windshield, and the airbag keeps your head from hitting the steering wheel or dashboard, which I expected to be the two main causes of head injuries in car crashes. Obviously there's a great possibility of head injuries in a rollover, but I thought (not based on anything in particular) that usually cars remain upright in a collision. I was expecting that in cars with belts & airbags the injuries would tend more to broken bones, lacerations from broken glass, internal injuries and whiplash-type injuries from the jerk of being stopped by the belt or airbag, and so forth.

Al, did you really post that with an iPod? I don't know much about music tech but I thought they were only players. Did you mean iPad or iPhone? Not being a wise-ass just wonderin'.
My iPod Touch. Apple shouldn't have called it an iPod, but that's what they did.

(snip) Blindly following rules and orders simply because they exist is not good IMHO...I recall a few German's predicament simply for following rules and orders.
I find this comparison an odd one. And I guess it is just the "J" facet of my personality type sticking out here, but yes: unless the law or other authority is clearly immoral (as in the case of the above-referenced Just Following Orders) I do believe that people ought to obey the law, just because it is the law. Otherwise, it is each individual setting him or herself above the law.

Back
Top Bottom